Indian Ocean inc. Maldives/Mauritius & India Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in India and Indian Ocean.
Just wanted to echo what travelalot says about sea currents in the maldives. Some of the islands do have very strong currents only a few feet from the beach so keep an eye on your children and loved ones at all times. It is reccommended and very good practice that when you go snorkelling that you go with someone and not by yourself at all times.

We go to Lily beach island and although there is a current it is not particuarly strong but certainly will sweep you down the beach if you were floating. However on one excursion in deep water on our recent holiday i was about to clamber from the water back onto the speedboat when suddenly a current took me and a second later a was more than 10 feet from the boat with the dive master hanging onto me for grim dealth, and i am an extremely strong swimmer.

Just another example of how we have to respect the sea as although it looks calm and beautiful it can be exceedingly dangerous.
Thank you for your report travelalot. We are taking our (will be) 10 year old daughter with us to Velidhu next February for 2 weeks. She is looking forward to it no end and has been practising with her snorkel already.

My hubby and I went to the Maldives in 2004 without her and she was quite upset when we told her all about it when we got home.

I don't think she will be bored as like you said, there is plenty of sand and sea to keep her amused. And, I think it's a good two weeks of quality time too with no distractions (apart from the fish of course).

Thanks.
Hope you have a great time, we will return one day.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.