Malta and Gozo Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Malta and Gozo.
Malta Gozo Ferry
10 Posts
Hi Dave, the ferry actually runs from Sa Maison just outside Valletta it doesn't run from Sliema, this website should answer all your questions http://www.gozochannel.com/.

Regards
Sliema2
It would depend on how rough the sea is! If it is a calm sunny day then take it as a nice leisurly cruise but if it is rough then take the bus up to Cirkewwa.
Hi Dave

the ferry from Sa Maison is of of the same ships that does the usual Circewwa-Mgarr route - there is only one a day, and only runs on Mon, Tues, Thurs, Fri, around the middle of the day - takes about 90 minutes, and costs no more than the other ferry - agree with m&n
Hello, Sliema2, m&n and Mark thanks for the tips it looks like its the bus then, we did want a full day in Gozo so Sa Maison ferry does not give us long to the Island.
Thanks,
Dave.
Dave,
How do you intend to get around Gozo when you arrive there. I've been thinking if it would be cheaper to book for the day one of the 'private' car drivers who meet the ferry or even hire a car for the day when over there. Or is it cheaper to take a hire car over with you?
Hello m&n, I was planning on getting a hire car when we get over there hopefully booked from Malta, not sure of the prices to take one from Malta to Gozo on the ferry. As for private car and driver I have never heard of this, tell me more.

Dave
The last time I went over which was in October we were greeted by a couple of people who were touting for the business of driving people around the island either to and from certain destinations or for the whole day. We didn't take them up on their offer and so I do not know how much they would have charged but I do remember him offering to be our driver for the day for 20Lm.
Whether that would be all day or just to and from a few destinations and the return trip back for the ferry I'm not sure :?:
That was why I was thinking if it would be cheaper to hire a car over there for the day, take a hire car with you on the ferry or use the services of these people.
Maybe Mark can shed some light on this!
Hi All

options - rough cost (I've never done any of these, so there is a bit of guesswork ! (all prices in Lm)

1. hire car in Malta, and take to Gozo
2. take bus/taxi to Gozo, then hire a car in Gozo
3. take bus/taxi to Gozo, hire a driver
4. use bus service in Gozo

1. Lm6-10 for car hire, ferry charge 6.50 for car plus driver, plus 2 per passenger
2. bus 25c odd pp, taxi 6-13 - ferry 2pp - car hire cost as per 1.
3. bus/taxi/ferry as per 2. I've heard driver is 20-25 - it will be for most of the day.
4. bus/taxi/ferry as per 2 - then buses in Gozo 20c odd per journey
which is best ?

1. most convenient, unless big queue for ferry for cars (if 2,3 or 4, then queue doesn't matter as foot passenger)
2. maybe problem hiring a car for 1 day only, esp if peak season
3. most expensive, but if you don't know Gozo, will see more of Gozo this way
4. cheapest option, only works if you want to go to Victoria/Xlendi/Marsalforn/Azure window, otherwise bus service is terrible ! If its not peak season, buses are even worse

let me know if I can help more
Hello Mark, just booked a car for the day for when we come over to Gozo, so you had better let them all now to keep of the road when I get there.

Make the 5th of July a no driving day in Gozo only for me.

Dave
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.