Malta and Gozo Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Malta and Gozo.
This should be more spectacular than the fireworks at a 'Festa' :shock:
Don't care any more, bored with it now, beware low flying dummies and toys coming from Sliema very soon.
  • Edited by Sliema2 2005-08-31 18:00:30
I disagree with the one extreme or the other.

After a week in Malta (June), I can safely say that I neither hate or love it.

For me it's one of those been there, done that places I can now cross of the list.
Interesting article....wonder does it relate to the Italien Students!!!
Recently on T.V it showed hotel In Paceville and most of it was down to the invasion of young Italiens.
I have always said you either love or hate Malta, my husband can't understand what I see in it. My late Mum and I went once or twice a year always staying at the same hotel, in the same room.
My husband however does like Gozo, and I think it is more my pace, so at least I still get to the Maltese Islands and see my friend who used to work n the hotel years ago.
Jay
jayjaya - are you winding us all up !

"I have always said you either love or hate Malta"
This article mentions the slime share louts. I was pestered both in Bugibba and by the Sliema Ferries during the early pert of my hols. I learnt very quickly to avoid them by for example walking on the other side of the road along The Strand in Sliema but surely I shouldn't have to do this?

If as the article indicates that the Maltese people don't like them either why doesn't their Government ban them???

Trev
Would I, could I do that Mark no never,
but have always said I love Gozo......true! :)
Just don't live there, but there this guy called Mark who lives in Sannat!
and "He has always said you either love it or you hate it" Malta that is.
Copyright duly accepted. :oops:

Julie

But what I meant was...some people have called Malta to me so I think the phrase above says it all.
expressing love for Gozo is allowed in my books... just don't tell Sliema2 :D you know how touchy he gets on the "love it/hate it" issue
Ta Dave, I'm all for a statue of me in Valletta overlooking city gate as long as I can keep me pants on as I don't want to scare anyone especially the Sinjura's, but then again I suupose it would be good for 8 large pigeons to perch on :wink: , as for a statue of my head well I'm all for big busts so go ahead and get me two large round ones :o :) , not sure about the lashing bit, having never been lashed on a ferry before it all sounds a bit painfull and possibly kinky, maybe it is an old naval tradition ?, so tell you what you try it first and let me know how it all goes, if all goes ok I suppose I could try it as long as I can stick a copy of the Times of Malta sunday magazine down the back of me kekks to soften the blow :yikes .

Yours expectantly
Sliema2
Hi Sliema2, I think the eight pigeons is a bit much Mrs Sliema2 told me that two sparrows would have a job and one of them would have to stand on one leg :roll:

Dave
Interesting article....wonder does it relate to the Italien Students!!!

Don't think it is Italians in particular, more likely to be the English language students of any nationality.
http://217.145.4.56/ind/news.asp?newsitemid=20564
English language students behaving badly is not exclusive to Malta and it is nothing new either. In 1980 aged 16, I was on holiday in Bournemouth and made a hasty exit from an American-style diner one lunch time after witnessing Scandinavian students, who appeared to be even younger than I was, having sex in the booths. After dark they were at it under the pier!

Don't care any more, bored with it now, beware low flying dummies and toys coming from Sliema very soon.

Sliema2,
Could it be that you have become desensitized like I have?
I was returning home by bus from Valletta when a couple approached me.
"Is this the bus for San Anton?" the woman asked. I told her it was and as it was close to my house I offered to show them the way. The man took a window seat and I sat accross the aisle from the woman. She told me it was their first visit to Malta so I pointed out some interesting sites on route, showed her what a pastizzi shop was etc. during the entire journey the man remained silent. As we were leaving the bus I picked then up a bus route map and showed them where the return bus stop was or alternatively if they would perfer to continue on to Mdina after visiting San Anton. The man still remained silent.

When we arrived near the gates of San Anton the woman said to me "You speak English very well, you don't even have an accent." I explained that I was in fact English and had lived all my life in the Windsor & Eton area before moving here. "You know a lot about Malta, do you work as a rep or tour guide here then?" she asked me. "No, actually I am unemployed :oops: ." I replied. The man then uttered his first words "So that explains it - your'e a kept woman, and there was me wondering what made you move to a dump of an island like here!"

Clearly embarrassed by her partner's remark, the woman gave a nervous little giggle and offered me the explanation "You know what they say Malta, you either love it or hate it."
I smiled, told them I hope they enjoyed the rest of their holiday, wished them a good day and continued walking to my house.
the rudness of people amazes me!!
If I was visiting Malta and someone was kind enough, take the time to help me, I would be grateful. To me the warmth of people in the Maltese Island is wonderful, in the last twentyfive years I have visited many places, but Malta is high up the list.
I think holidaymakers think they are the only economy that Malta has!! I live by a seaside resort, the weekend sees the place full of weekenders swelling the streets..the bars shut at 3pm... then the police have there hands full. it helps the economy...but only those connected to that industry. I have a maltese friend, she has to do with out water somedays, but the hotels don't.
Jay
Guys before anyone corrects me it is several years since she told me about the water..maybe it is better now.
A couple of years ago while holidaying in Malta we met a couple and the man did nothing but moan and moan about Malta, he said it reminded him of Spain 20 years ago.

Surely that can only be a good thing, give me Malta & Gozo anytime (the more times the merrier), who needs these whingers with their blinkered views.

The Maltese are very friendly and welcoming, and we have made many friends on our visits there over the years.
The history and historical sites are excellent, the weather is fantastic and there are no drunken British yobs.

Oh yes I know where I would rather go on holiday (and perhaps live one day) :D
I am fed up!!!!!!!!!!!
I didn't win that blasted lottery again last night, but when I do GozoMark will be asked for all the Estate Agents names in Gozo. Plus flat in Malta would do, the best of both. Gozo through the week, Malta at the weekend, or maybe midweek.. for the shops in Valleta and Slielma
Can't a girl dream.
Jay
The problem is that so many people want to stay in "resorts" which abound in places like Spain, Majorca. Menorca etc. They want to have "entertainment" in the place they stay and eat in "the Hotel".

I hope Malta never develops any kind of resort as in typical Spanish areas. It always amazes me how many people won't venture from their hotel or nearest beach to explore the real parts of the island. These people want everything for nothing.

Get out and explore the island, meet the people and don't complain if every detail isn't like home - it's not supposed to be :)
As for this stupid saying "you either love or hate Malta", what a load of rubbish. That's exactly what it is, a saying, a convenient one for people who haven't visited the islands. It's used because "well, that's what other people say isn't it?"
Well said openminded :bow , fully endorse all you said, and funny how it does always seem to be the british that fit your description :bhead as I have said on more than one occasion those who don't like it should go to filey or disgusting blackpool and leave the majestic Mediteranian for those of us with open minds and tastes.

Regards
Sliema2
I was out earlier with mum shopping and she came out with the usual classic - "you either love Malta or you hate it". I cringed and didn't reply because after visiting twice she still maintains that she belongs to the hate it set!

Which nitwit made up this nonsense saying anyway, since I don't hear folks saying it about anywhere else? Take Tunisia for example, which appeals to some but I wouldn't waste my time going there again because I had a nightmare holiday with really bad memories! I don't particularly hate Tunisia, it's just that it's not for me, which is what the hate Malta set ought to be saying about Malta!

Trev
Hello Trev, I think the saying comes from the Manchester area :wink:
Dave
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.