Far East

Discussions regarding holidays in the Far East.
Awww... Bless...fancy breaking a bone .. ouch!!

Look forward to seeing a full trip report :)
Van :wave:
welcome back Manxcat ,I hope you enjoyed Bali, really looking forward to reading your trip report :tup
Hello to everybody Well i have to say i absolutely loved Bali,myself &OH have been going to Goa every March for the last 5 years we love it & don't even consider going anywhere else that time of year but like to try somewhere new around september,but i know we will be going back to Bali next year .
It was quite a long journey,as there are no flights to Heathrow from the Isle of Man we left home at 8 30am Friday morning to fly to Gatwick from there we went National Express to Heathrow then on to Hong Kong where we had an 8hr wait before our flight to Bali.I'd already got an idea from this site as a rough idea on the cost of taxi to our resort so ordered some rupiah at home as i didn't want to mess around changing money at airport when i knew we would be tired which i was glad we did as the VOA lines took forever.We got taxi no problem and then it took over 2hrs to get there,we staying in Manggis which is out of Candidasa.We arrived around 2am sunday morning and i can't say we had any 1st impressions we were so tired.We had a couple of hours sleep when we stepped out the sun was shining and the setting was so pretty,we stay in te royal Bali Beach club it's a small resort set in a lovely little garden with a small bar/restaurant overlooking the pool and sea.
I really enjoy walking when in Goa we walk for miles along the beach so i was abit dissapointed when i realized we wouldn't be able to do that as there is no beach just cobbles and even then wouldn't be able to get far,i had read about this before but did expect more than there was.
The hotel ran a shuttle to Candidasa but we decided we would walk instead which was nice as we could appreciate the area more and because we were doing it quite regular got to know alot of the local people,then people staying at the hotel would say "saw you out walking today where were you going/been?"by the end of the week some were stopping us to say they hadn't bothered with the shuttle & walked instead & how much they had enjoyed it!
Had some very nice meals Vincents,Rondevous ,Toke.
Another day we had a driver went to Ubud,watched the Barong visited the jewelers in Celuk.
We decided we would walk to Pasir Putih(white beach)that was a dissaster walked for miles on some very hairy bends in the road but didn't find it,but the scenery was beautiful monkeys swinging in the trees people working in the rice fields.We are so glad we went to this side of the island but after a week we were glad to move to somewhere abit more lively &Legian certainly is :D
Stayed in Legian Village Hotel which was an ideal area,it's quite basic but clean & thats all we wanted as we were out most of the time.It's split into 2 Joni 1&Joni 2 which is on the other side of the road,we were there & i think it would be quieter at night as it's away from the main road.
When i saw the beaches i thought Oh Yes i can walk from resort to resort :) Little did i know 2days later i would trip & brake a bone in my foot.We had found a bar with wfi hotspot near us and the 1st night we went to use it i nearly missed the step so the next time i was watching for it &then tripped on the next one :duh
The only walking i did after that was to the beach(it was close)settled on a lounger book & a Bintang :cheers I don't think i've ever had such a lazy holiday,it was a shame as we had planned to see alot more but i know all being well we'll go back next year,I have the same feeling about Bali as i do about Goa,people are lovely, food terrific,it's abit further to go but next time will proberbly have acouple of days in Hong Kong or Singapore to break up the journey(will be looking for more advice)
Hope you havn't found this report to long winded but it's the first i've done :wave:
Manxcat(Angela)
Thanks Angela for you report. So sorry to hear about your broken bone. Was the health care ok? I ask this as my sister in law did exactly the same thing in Egypt 2 months ago, except it was on the 2nd day of her holiday so she was literally hotel bound as she couldn't put any weight on her foot.

Hope you are on the road to recovery. :tup
That was a great report Manxcat I really enjoyed reading it :tup Like yourself I absolutely love Goa but we do that in winter and try to go to the Far East in summer, I did really enjoy Bali, I don't think the beaches are as good as Thailand or Goa but there was certainly a very special feel to the island, loved the gentle pace of the island, the way they have offerings for the gods just about everywhere , the beautiful flowers ...I could go on and on, we had a couple of nights in Ubud to start our trip off and loved it there.
We had a 1 night stop in KL in both directions which was great, KL is perfect for a stopover with great hotels and lovely food and shops.
glad to hear we have another convert. But sorry to hear about your foot- that must have made such a difference to your holiday. :(
Snap!! Ah! Angela you poor thing fancy you breaking a bone too. Hope it didn't wreck your holiday as it did mine (not to mention my husbands too) I loved your report and I'm so glad you loved Bali... As Fiona wrote "another convert". We are back there 2 days after Christmas for 2 weeks then I just booked a Jetstar special and go again in May. Bali is buzzing again and getting accommodation is getting harder and often you have to book over 12 months in advance to get the hotel you want. As we are travelling more we need to get cheaper accommodation and get airline specials.

We have just returned from Penang and KL so I might throw a jbr together, but on new thread.

Cheers Geri
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.