Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
Hi Wendy,
the Marriott Mountain is set back about 150 metres from the road. The road itself is a busy dual carriageway but there are (or were in 2004) lots of 'sleeping policemen' on the road covering all the main crossing points. You'll soon be safely across the road although the kerbs are pretty high in places so you may be crossing at some strange angles to ease your poor calves! You'll be on the beach within 5-10 minutes of leaving your room! (if you can drag yourself past the bakery right outside the hotel door :D )

Mountainside was lovely, large lagoon pool with bar on island in the middle (only used the pool on an early evening as we're beach people so can't comment on sun beds etc). Again, we went into Naama bay on an evening but from what I remember all the entertainment was in the Beachside (so mountainside was gloriously quiet of a night).

There is a beachside restaurant at the Marriott as well as the Beach BBQ Bar but you can sample any of the hotel bars as you stroll along the promenade (Novotel Pool Bar, Hilton Havana Club Bar, Jolie Beach Bar etc.) It is quite a walk into the centre 20-30 minutes(?) so a break is welcome, but after doing it in a taxi once we decided the walk was good exercise! Choice of food is excellent, we ate differently each of the six nights we were there - Italian, Mexican, AMerican, Oriental. Best meal was a steak on the beach at Kanabesh.

As mentioned before the private beach is large, large enough to avoid the 'entertainment' provided if you wish. There is a hut/tent immediately in front of the access to the beach where upon receipt of your room number you will be provided with clean, fresh beach towels.

You can walk straight into the sea from the beach (no jetty) although it would appear that the coral has been shaped at some time in the past to allow for an easily accessable step down over to the other side of the coral at one point (still only at waist/lower chest water level). Step down here and you're into another world !!

Hope you have a wonderful time!
Thanks for this - very helpful.
Yes we are beach people so this is very important aspect to our holiday.
Would really have preferred to be in hotel 'on the beach' but as I said couldn't justify extra £300 for the sake of crossing a road.

With regard to beach bar - do they take cash or is it a charge to your room arrangement and do you know if they serve coffee - cappuchinos by any chance?
Do they have waiter service?
Is there a problem with getting a sun bed each morning and can they be reserved once youv'e found your ideal spot?

The beach sounds great, looking forward to swimming and snorkeling - so being able to do this of the beach sounds perfect.

And one of the main reasons we chose Naama Bay was because of the walk along the promenade and choice of bars and restaurants - so like you we will enjoy the walk and 'stops' into and back from town each evening.

Probably could have got better deals at hotels outside Naama Bay but didn't want to be stuck out in the sticks having to get taxis back and forth.

With regard to the rooms at the Marriott if it were possisble to request a particular area 'mountainside' or avoid a particular area - where would be best - can you advise.

Should probably stop asking questions now - I'm a bit fanatical about doing lots of research before I go on holiday - part of the enjoyment for me.

Look forward to all replies
Wendy
Wendy,
beach bar did both cash/charge - I always paid cash but a friend always charged his to his room. Pretty sure coffee was available as I recall John having one after a heavy night. Can't say for sure about cappucino though! Or waiter service on the beach, always used to go and sit at the bar (get a bit of shade now and again - it was needed!)
We were there in September, never had a problem getting a sunbed where we wanted them so never asked about reservations.

Our holiday booking was a bit strange for a package, we did two nights at Sharm, flew to Luxor for a weeks Nile cruise and then back to Sharm for 5 nights. As a consequence of this we were in two different rooms at the Marriott. The Mountainside is a bit horseshoe shaped with the left arm a bit longer and shaped round the pool. We spent the first two nights in a first floor room on the right overlooking the waterfall type 'thing' and the other five nights on the ground floor over on the left almost as far round the pool as you could get. Had no problems (or favourites) with either room. It was really very quiet wherever you were.[/img]
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.