Indian Ocean inc. Maldives/Mauritius & India Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in India and Indian Ocean.
Meedhupparu
20 Posts
chaffesbird
We leave for the island end of March so any recent info will be a great help. It is our first time to the Maldives so we are really looking forward to itWe have many questions to ask but ones that spring to mind now are, Which rooms would you say are in the best location? and what is the evening entertainment like?

Look forward to any info

Thanks
I have read on various forums what rooms people consider are the best and they always vary. We had room 119 which was quite near the north jetty. The water is rougher that side but the snorkling better. We were very happy with our location. You can email requests for rooms but you will get the standard reply "All rooms are allocated on arrival". Priority is given to repeat guests. The rooms by the south jetty have calmer waters but some have very little beach. The grill bar is this side and is a great place to sit and watch the sunset. If you don't like the room you are given they will do their utmost to find one more suitable.

As for evening entertainment, well, other than a duo a couple of times a week, crab racing once in 2 weeks and karoake a couple of times a week, there isn't anything else since the Italian entertainment team left a few months back. Now that there is a large contingent of Brits staying there I am sure that will change but until the resort has something else in place it is a case of having a drink and relax in the main bar. :glynis
Hi Chaffesbird,

I have just booked my auntie and uncle to Meedhupparu and it looks lovely! all reviews i have read have been excellent but, nobody has said much about how expensive the island is, can you help with that at all?

IE not everything seems to be covered by the all inclusive, so if they wanted to buy a bottle of water (for the room) is it expensive?
Can you buy cigarettes? are they expensive?

Im not happy about this Italian team that have left, as the brochure i have just booked her from says it has them, and kuoni tell me its one of the busier islands.

Still everything else sounds perfect! just wish i was going too! :(

Thanks for any info you can help with.
Jane xxx
Hi Jane,

Water is included in the AI. Best to get ciggies at the airport in the Uk though they may sell them on the island. Not being a smoker, I can't help with that one. Cocktails are not part of the AI and cost approx $3 when on offer ( they do a selection of cocktails each evening for $3). Unless you speak Italian then the entertainment team leaving is no big deal. All the entertainment was in Italian when they were there. Meedhupparu do put on a duo a few evenings per week who sing in English and they have crab racing, local bands and karaoke evenings. The Maldives are not known for their night life. Most evenings are spent in the bar or on the beach. They have the occasional beach party. Oh almost forgot, fruit juice is not part of the AI, only local tinned juice, coke and other mixers. If you need any more info let me know.
Hi, thanks for your quick reply!!

Do you know if they include any diet drinks in the All Inc package at all?
Also, is there a disco?? It says there is in the brochure. Could you tell me are there lots of Jelly fish??

Also read somewhere this island has a resident doctor, is this true??
Sorry lots of questions i know!

Only asking about the diet drinks and the Doc as my auntie is diabetic.
Did you use the mini bar as just a fridge, or do they charge you for that?
she needs to keep the insulin cold.

Thanks again for your help

Jane xxx 8) 8)
Hi Jane,

Diet coke is part of the AI as well as soda water and full strength tonic. There isn't a resident doctor any more but he is a short boat trip away on the next island. Reception arrange for you to see him. We used the mini bar as a fridge to keep our chocolate cold. There wasn't a charge for this.
Your auntie will have a fantastic time there. The people are so friendly. If she needs anything sugar free in the restaurant the chefs will prepare it for her. She only has to ask. They really are that nice. Tell your aunt to look at the maldives forum on http://www.maldivesinfo.co.uk You can also get great pictures of Meedhupparu on http://www.meedhupparu.com and http://www.meedhupparu.com.mv :wave
Hi Jane

I went to Meedhaparu a couple of years ago, just before the tsunami. It's great, although more crowded than some of the other islands. Thats the price you pay for having a bit more going on, and I'd still definelty recommend it.

The Italian entertinment team were indeed very entertaining, although possibly not for the reason they hoped - they used to congregate around the bar in the evening, (its raised up slightly, or at least it was then) and boy did they love being the centre of attention. Us reserved Brits would all sit further back on the squidgy sofas just watching the antics - very funny - lots of hair-tossing and posturing (and that's just the men).

Whenever I have been to the Maldives, I've taken lots more books than I've thought I'd need - the nightlife is never exactly pulsating. But again, that isn't why you go there. Take cigartettes with you, although they do sell them.

There is a doctor, and we had cause to use her for some bites I got that got horribly infected. The medical centre is attached to the (very impressive) dive school.

Also wasn't too impressed with the accommodation - we could hear EVERYTHING that our german neighbours were up to, thanks to thin walls and wooden floors. Don't be put off though - its paradise, and I'd go back like a shot. Enjoy yourselves!!
Thank you both so much for your help!

Im sure they will have a wonderfull time.

Jane xx
Lucyjc, there isn't a doctor or a medical centre anymore on Meedhupparu. He is based on Fishermans Island. The Italian entertainment team has left and the entertainment theatre isn't used anymore. The predominant nationality is now British. Hope that helps.
So is there still entertainment going then??? it does say there is in about 4 brochures.

Jane xx
Jane. there wasn't any entertainment when we were there in February. The entertainment theatre looked as if it hadn't been used for quite some time. :wave
Oh dear! i think i will have to make a phone call to the tour op on friday to see what i can find out!

Thanks for all your help anyway,
Jane xxx

ps if anyone else has been recently please can you update me asap
thanks
hi i am traveling with my partner to this island on July 19.07.
Just wondering if any one can recommend a good room location that i could request.
i would idealy like to be close to the amenitys but also be able to walk onto the beach from my room.

Any tips for me before i go as this is my first time in the maldives,,

Also what currency is the best to take ?
Hi Alison,

We have just returned from our second trip to Meed. The rooms that are right on the beach are 170 to about 230 but they are not that close to the restaurant and bars. Having said that, the island isn't that big and you can reach most places in 10 minutes. The rest of the rooms are set back a little way. You can request rooms but its pot luck what room you get. Any more questions, feel free to ask.
Hi Alison,

We have just returned from our second trip to Meed. The rooms that are right on the beach are 170 to about 230 but they are not that close to the restaurant and bars. Having said that, the island isn't that big and you can reach most places in 10 minutes. The rest of the rooms are set back a little way. You can request rooms but its pot luck what room you get. Any more questions, feel free to ask.
I have been looking at Meed for our visit in August. It was really the new water villa part that caught my attention. It is exclusively for water villa guests but the guests from the water villas can use the facillities of the main resort. Has anyone either stayed in these new villas or maybe had a chance to look at them? I had read somewhere that Meedhapparu is in need of a facelift. Is this correct or is it just someone moaning about nothing? Would really like to hear from anyone who has been recently. Any info at all would be really great. Thanks.
My soon to be and I are honeymooning here 23 april..anyone got any recent info on the island..I have read various reviews about it, good and bad. but most were a few years old...so anything new would be much appreciated :)
hi

can anyone tell me what tkind of weather ie..rain i can expect in oct/nov?

thanks

Rob
Hello,

I am hoping to book my holiday to meedhupparu for april next yr and have been reading your comments on the resort. Me and my boyfriend are 20 and 25 and really just want 2 weeks of relaxation and peace. I believe this would suite us ideally, would u recommend it for people of out age? We dont want mad night life, but not everyone going to bed at 9.30pm!

Also was wondering if u r by the pool how early do you have to get up to put your towels down!?

Sam xxx :P
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.