Caribbean Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Caribbean
It is my understanding the departure tax is 700 pesos or £38 or $58US
What currency can you pay the departure tax in, please?
As I mentioned above, sterling, US$ and pesos.
degsy01 wrote:
And Euro's.

I thought they would but as I don't buy them, I didn't want to say. :)
just returned and us dollars were not accepted at cancun . Not sure if that is a recent thing but there were several angry passengers that say they were not informed . Only cash payments in 700 pesos or £40 sterling accepted per person. no credit cards etc.
This rule was imposed last September, and was widely advertised! There was a thread re this on here this time last year. Thomson and Thomas Cook certainly advise about this don't know about other TO's.
You are correct denny.53 the rule was imposed last September (2010) that US $ would no longer be accepted and there was a thread at the time http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=147891&hilit=departure+tax

Remember you CANNOT pay Mexican departure tax in US $
However I have heard from several people on the Palladium Addicts forum thay they have infact paid using US$, sounds to me like it depends on who you are paying on the day.

Lets face it I received a confirmation flight booklet the other day and it clearly states that the US$ is no longer accepted in Mexico, which is totally untrue.
Yes but are those people on the Palladium Addicts forum British? This rule doesn't apply to those from the USA.
Oh wow never thought of that ! I also read trip advisor reports and they are the same,

Yes of course I am only repeating what UK travellers have reported. I will be there myself in 3 weeks so will know first hand.

---
- Fiona
returned a week ago and you can only pay in Sterling or Peso's £40 or 700 mexican pesos - we were told when we arrived after 3 weeks Us $ would no longer be accepted anywhere ( three weeks now up!)
Im certainly wondering now if it's who you pay . It wasnt some official booth at the airport it was just a guy sitting at a table taking cash in our thomas cook check in queue . :think

Wads of cash piling up , quite bizarre .
We are going to Mexico for the 1st time in March so it is it better to take Sterling to use.
My daughter is travelling to cancun can anybody tell me how much ( I believe you only pay when you exit) she it taking 2 children 1 under 2 and one 9 months will she have to pay for children
Also what is the best currency to take us dollar or peso
She has phoned travel agent but they were unsure and she is travelling from uk thanks
Hi :wave:

You will find good info regarding currency in this existing topic
Also what is the best currency to take us dollar or peso

http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=50615&start=160
Departure tax as far as I am aware is paid by every UK passenger. Rate in September was 700 pesos, £39 and about the same Euros & $59US.

If you are converting sterling anyway I would get pesos. I took both but only as I was paying the hotel directly and rate was quoted in US$.
Is it still 700 pesos?

Going next weekend

ATB,J.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.