Caribbean Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Caribbean
Exit visa.... yes should have been handed in...after leaving the check in desk, and going towards departure lounges...there is a rather insignificant official standing to one side, you shove the form into his hand , just prior to going through the customs check and hand baggage scan. sorry cannot advise if you need to do anything. perhaps someone else on here knows better. it is easy to no notice this guy, I am sure you are not the first by a long shot to not hand it in. best wishes
Thanks for that, gingerdennis.

Funnily enough they were extremely keen to get the departure tax off you - in fact they don't give you your boarding pass until you paid, (and yes you have to queue up again at a different desk to pay which also wasn't easy to find) but no, we didn't have anyone asking for the exit cards, or see any notices, etc reminding you to hand in the exit card!! I don't know why the rep didn't mention this on the journey to the airport, so I also blame First Choice.

Also, Cancun is the most terrible airport I have ever been to, both in arrivals or departures, it is complete chaos! (2 terminals were damaged in the Hurricane so all flights operating out of the one). It is no wonder that we didn't think to hand this card in, we were in such a rush, we didn't think we would get to the gate on time it was that busy (even having checked in 3 hours before departure!) so others beware.

Well I will have to contact First Choice to see if they can advise!

Thanks for your answer.
Exit tax only. Enjoy :D
Hi, i'm going ot Mexico late May, is it best to pay departure tax in peso's or $$ and does anyone know how much it is this year, and has anyone been to Puerto Vallarta, it will be first time in mexico for us, and what will the weather be like, any info on Puerto Vallarta would be much appreciated. Also, is it best to take $$ peso's or sterling(i live in England)
Thanks
Sharon
hi, going out to mexico next week 25/4 anyone know the current rate of departure tax please. thanks :?
Hi GREATOREX
We've just returned on monday,current rate is 48 US dollars
or 510 peso's per person
Enjoy,it's a fantastic place
thanks for that ade m, we certainly will enjoy, cheers :D
For anyone who is interested this is a response I received from the Mexican Tourism board regarding taxes levied against visitors, hope it helps:-

--------------------------
Dear Lee,

First of all, thank you for your interest in Mexico and for contacting us with your query.

I think what happened in February 2002 was that you only paid the departure tax $25 USD, ie. to leave Mexico. This amount of $48 USD is the total amount to enter and leave the country. Most of the time, this tax is covered in your plane ticket, so many people do not have to make a seperate payment. Payment of this tax depends on your method of travel, eg. flying direct to Cancún as opposed to entering the country vis the United States. If you let us know more details of how you are travelling to Mexico, maybe we can give you a better idea of what you might have to pay. Alternatively, speak to your travel agent to see what additional taxes, if any, apply.

I hope this has been useful, but please do not hesitate to get back in touch with us should you have any other doubts.

You may also consult Mexico Tourism Board at our web http://www.visitmexico.com or contact us at visitemexico@over-marketing.com or at the telephone number: 00 800 11 11 22 66, in this case, the hours of operation are from 9:00 to 19:00, from Monday to Saturday.
Do you have to buy a tourist card/visa to enter Mexico? Is there a departure tax to be paid when departing Mexico? We had to pay both this year, in the Dominican Republic. I understand that there are differences when travelling from the UK as opposed to travelling from USA or Canada.
Thanks
Lorraine
Hello

Just home, it's 46 US$, not sure how much they were taking in pesos. Only paid on departure. You can pay pesos or dollars but not a combination of both.

Also Cancun airport is a total shambles. You have to stand in a queue to check in while someone else from your party (assuming you're not travelling alone!) goes and stands in the departure tax queue. But if you reach the front of the check in queue first you can't check in until you have paid.

Another thing is, they were charging for excess baggage, but also most airlines would ok if you had say 18kgs and your companion had 22kgs as it's 40 total, but they were making people remove things from 1 case and put it in the other so they were 20 each. What the point is I don't know as the same weight is going on the plane. I think it's just to stress you out!!!
For info we came back from Mexico on Tuesday (24th Oct 06) and the departure tax was $50 each (USA dollars)

What a stupid system though. If you are on your own you have to queue and pay your tax first then join the check in queue.

If you are in a couple or group one can go and pay the tax and the others start queueing!! Why cant it all be done in one place?!
hi just got back from mexico yesterday oct 30th and the departure tax was 45us dollars each and we just paid it when we checked in.
We returned from our wedding in Mexico on 5th November and the departure tax was $46 dollars per person, which has remained the same for at least the last 5 years. They even gave change in dollars this year whereas normally no change is given. The guy with his cash tin was collecting the tax from a point in the check in queue so it was simple and caused no delays (except for people fumbling around in their pockets and bags looking for money!). With regards to the terminal itself, following hurricane Wilma destroying the old and very basic terminal the British carriers used, we now get to use terminal 2 which was only available to American carriers previously. On arrival we were off the plane, bags collected, through customs and outside the airport within 25 mins ... unheard of for Cancun! On departure there is a much better selection of shops, and eateries include TGI's which is a definite improvement on the Burger King at the old terminal.
Cazz
returned 6/11/06, departure tax £46 dollars per person or 500 pesos. We had no problem with the airport in fact we got through customs etc quicker this time than we have in long while
Hi
We returned from Cancun on Sunday 26th November and the departure tax was $45 or 480 pesos per person.

As the queue for this is very quick (you hand over your dosh, they stamp your tickets), you should be able to pay the tax and join your partner well before they reach the front of the check-in queue.
Not sure how you manage this if you're travelling alone though.
Premium class passengers paid their departure tax at the same time as check-in, it was only 'cattle-class' who had to queue separately.

They had 3 ordinary check-in desks, one Premium and one for the departure tax.
Checking in was a nightmare.
We were 3rd in the queue, but they were having problems with the passport readers on all desks and it took them 25 minutes to process us.
The plane was delayed by an hour as it took some passengers so long to get checked in.

Incidently, each desk appeared to have a different policy on weighing luggage.
We had both our cases AND hand luggage weighed, but others just had their cases weighed.
Not a problem for us as we were under the limit but it could have been for others.

Polly
Going to Cancun in October with Going Places and just wondering if we have to pay the departure tax ourselves or has it been added onto our holiday price ? Does anyone know how much it is and can you pay in dollars ?

Thanks , Carol.
Im sure you pay it when you leave there.
Hi Carol

Going Places is the travel agent you booked through so I will assume you are going with one of the My Travel companies ?
If this iscorrect you will have to pay a departure tax of $25 each when you leave as it is not included in My Travel prices.

Some companies such as First Choice include the tax in your ticket price, so it is worthing double checking exactly which tour operator you are booked with.
Thanks JJules and Kiltman-Graham .... we are indeed flying with My Travel so will have to stump up , lol.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.