Caribbean Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Caribbean
Hi,
I got married in the Dominican in May so very familiar with all paperwork!!
The bottom piece for your return home is homebound, Punta Cana and date leaving DR If in any doubt fill the rest in on the plane the cabin crew will help you, certainly in my experience they dont even look at them they just want the money uve paid for them! Have a great time.
Thanks Sparkle, I'll fill the rest in now. These forums are ace!!
If Punta Cana is like Puerto Plata there'll be a queue for the tourist cards on arrival. So that you've already got yours & walk straight through to immigration/passport control.

Don't forget you'll need US$25 for your exit stamp on the way out (used to be US$20 but we were told it's going up in August).
Do children have to pay for tourist card and departure stamp?
'fraid so ... tourist cards & exit visas are per person.

If you want to get them before you go the DR Embassy has a Tourist Card Information line (0906 550 3511). There's a recorded message that says what you need to do & takes ages. To save you the trouble ...

Consular Section
The Embassy of the Dominican Republic
139 Inverness Terrace
London
W2 6JF

They need

a photocopy of the details page of the passport for everyone needin the tourist card (you need at least 1 month left on the passports)

a postal order or banker's draft for UK£8 per tourist card payable to the Embassy of the Dominican Republic. Put your name and address on the back in block capitals. They don't take personal cheques.

an A5 size SAE.

The rules are different for non-UK nationals.
When we got inside the Punta Cana airport there was a massive gaggle of people filling in the forms ready to hand in. As we did not even have a form and expecting the worst we went straight to passport control but the chap just asked for the money ad handed us some blank "bottom" bits which we had to look after so that we could get out of the country!
we flew to la romana, and yep the same long queue's!
Its true they dont even look at them. You pay the money and they couldnt really care!
Thanks we were going to get them before we go as well.
Sorry another q how long before you go can you get them. Husband going in person as he goes to London on regular occasions and can you pay cash.
They aren't dated so you can get them well ahead of time. Turn round time is about 4 weeks by post so you might want to give yoursef a little longer to be on the safe side.
Sun-seeker is absolutely right - we have not bothered to fill in the forms for our last 4 trips to DR - it is only your cash they are interested in.

Even if you have to queue to get your forms and you dont bother to fill them in you will get to baggage reclaim before your bags do.

You will inevitably end up waiting on your coach for the folks who have filled in their forms, so getting forms in advance won't save any time or money so why bother ?

Scubaman
Did you leave the return bit blank as well?
Having just returned from Puerto Plata i would say it is not advisable to go through the hassle of getting them from London. At the airport the queue moved very quickly, filled in form in two minutes then went to have passports checked where there was no queue. Of course on going through as someone has already mentioned the luggage hadn't even came on to the conveyer belt! And this is cheaper than getting them in advance as well!
Completely agree with Scubaman, dont bother getting them before you go. Just have a pen ready when you get to the airport. If you are prepared to fill them in thats half the battle. I was amazed at the number of people last year who didnt know they had to complete them or pay the money!!

You either wait in the queue to fill them in (they only take 2 minutes to complete) or you end up waiting at the coach for the stragglers anyway. Its not something to stress about thats for sure. Once you land in the Dom Rep you are on their time!
Hi Steve

In answer to your question - Yes we left all the form including the return bit blank - our pens never touched the forms so if they wanted to they could have re-issued them !

It's only your cash they want and they never looked at our forms. On our last 2 returns we payed at check-in and the forms were collected after passport control.

Why they don't just collect all the cash on arrival and you surrender your forms at check-in I don't know - or even dispense with the forms completely. It would save the salary of the guy who just collected forms. Still I suppose that's another family supported by the tourism industry.

Nowt so strange as folk !!!

Scubaman
Glad I read this thread. Was in a bit of a panic as I had not yet applied for ours and we fly out on the 22nd from Gatwick! Apologies to all those in advance we hold up on the transfer to resort but I bet we are not alone!

Is it just USD they accept to get in and out or do they take their own Peso thingys?

Just asking, as we need to think about changing up some cash! Infact not at all prepared for this holiday. :roll:
Hi Jo, as far as I am aware it is just US dollars they accept for the taxes at the airport, in fact I am pretty certain it is.

Again dont stress too much about holiday money, we took US travellers cheques and brought quite a bit back - it was a better exchange rate to get the pesos out of the ATMs. If you are going All Inclusive I would suggest taking some small dollar bills for tipping though - handy to have.

Have a lovely holiday, its a great island and we cant wait to go back :lol:
Don't know about getting the tourist card on arrival if they'll take other currencies.

On the way out they have, in the past, taken Sterling and DR Peso ... but it's at their exchange rate. E.g. £8 for US$10 when it was only $10 to get out .. ah those were the days!!! US$ is easiest.
Scubaman

Why they don't just collect all the cash on arrival and you surrender your forms at check-in I don't know

When we went through Punta Cana airport in June we paid for our tourist card on arrival then on departure we paid the tax and handed in our green cards at check in.

Have to be honest I was a bit worried as I'd read on here that the tax is paid and cards collected after check in. Was hoping I hadnt fallen for the same trick as a mate of mine had (at the airport for Puerto Plata) and paid too soon, to the wrong person and find I have to pay again once through check in. But that was where they were taking it that day!

Perhaps they make it up as they go along :P
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.