Caribbean Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Caribbean
Sadly more money for the government that wont be passed on to the people of the country.

Have checked the Doom Rep embassy and the cost of the cards to buy online has not changed, it is still £10. With the exchange rate's it may be cheaper to buy them online before you go.
Goven,
Apparently this extra money is because they bought some planes to stop drugbusters, so its us the tourists and wealthier Dominicans that fly from airport to airport for their breaks that they are getting the money from as its easier to collect on the people that fly in and out of the Dom. Rep(dont know how true this is).

Your right the Dom Rep Embassy has not updated their site but if you buy the Tourist Cards online they are printed with how much you have paid, so on arriving in the Dom. Rep once the fees have gone up they will make you rebuy them there and then, once home you will have to contact the Dom. Rep Embassy for a refund, we had to do that one year when they had changed from a paper form to the cards they now give out.I bought in advance and the Embassy did'nt tell me that they were changing before our holiday dates took place. So they will get you either way and then becomes a hassle at the airport.

Here is a link at what they look like at the moment and the Blue form underneath them is your Immigration form that will be given out on the aircraft to fill in and handed in at Passport Control, you will also get one from your tour rep for your return.

http://www.debbiesdominicantravel.com/visa.html

Angie.
Thanks Angie. Wouldnt be getting mine until May or so anyway. The only 2 other times I went to the DR I also bought before I went. Seemed easier with just the visa forms instread of forms and cards.
So many countries seem to have you filling in forms on the plane these days. Much easier than at the airport.
Govan,
There is one new form you have to fill out at the airport going in and out its a new Customs declaration form given to the people at customs on exiting the airport. It has similar information on it as the existing blue form but also was a deceleration of how much money you were bringing in to the country (declare if above US$10,000 ).

Angie.
We are going on the 9th March and have pre bought our Tourist card any ideas how this will affect us????..I have checked on the Embassy web site in the UK and it is still showing 10pounds per person.
qatarman,
One of two things could happen 1st:-You could be asked to pay the extra $US5 or 2nd:-You could be asked to pay for the new Tourist Card again $US15 as they might have printed a new card and then have to send the old Tourist Cards back to the Dom. Rep Embassy for a refund.
I only say this as on one of our trips when I bought in advance from the Embassy (2nd trip) we got to the Dom. Rep airport and the cards had changed and they made me buy 3 new cards and were adamant that I had to pay and get the refund on my return, which I did with a covering letter and sent the old cards back, a few days later I got a cheque from the Embassy. Alot of hassle I know but a least I got the money refunded. I was'nt too happy with Embassy as they shoul'nt have sold me the old ones as I had given them my dates of travel in a covering letter as there was no buying on line when I applied. Thats why I do not buy from the Embassy anymore only buy them on arrival in the Dom. Rep.

Hope this helps,
Angie.
Hi Angie,
To be honest I wont bother with the refund,but its just another problem with this holiday,still waiting for our tickets from thomsons payed the final invoice 7 weeks ago and travel on 9th of March,the first travel agent we booked with had to close and our booking was transfered to another agent took 9 weeks for thomsons to do this, took thomsons 6 weeks to send my wife confirmation of booked seat numbers. And to cap it all my 4x4 was side swiped off the road here in Qatar 2days ago.Something is telling me this hoilday is going to be a disaster.
qatarman,
So sorry to hear about your car, that seems to be the final straw after all the problems you have been having with your holiday arrangements. I can assure you if you have not been to the Dom. Rep before, when you get there you will be able to chill out, the people are great and very friendly. Where are you staying in the Dom Rep? :offtop

Well I hope things are not too much of a hassle when you arrive at the airport in the Dom. Rep please let me know how you get on, on your return. I shall be very interested in the outcome.

Angie.
Hi Angie,
We are staying at the Riu Palace Macao,our frist time to the DR,normally go to Barbados.I will get a new 4x4 on my return.Thanks for your help I will post on my return how we got on at the Airport,assuming we get tickets to travel.
Hi all,
Just had this info from someone that lives in the DR.

It is a federal fee, not a airport specific one, so Monday March 2nd 2009 ahead the increased fee applies at all Dominican airports.

Prior purchased Tourist Cards that show the rate "$US10.-" will get asked for an extra $US5.- cash on entry.

The same $US5.- per person increase applies the same Monday for the Departure Tax, formerly $US20.- per person, new fee $25.- per person.

Well thats the latest update.

Angie.
Cheers Angie for the info,I did email the Dominican Embassy in London for info.
Angie,
Who will we pay,will we have to line up where you purchase your Tourist Card on Arrival????
Yes I would think you will have to queue up with all the people buying their Tourist Cards as its the only booth that deals with the cash side of paying for the cards. Its a bummer for you as you got them in advance, that is why I dont buy my cards in advance anymore, once bitten as they say!!! But the queue wont take long to disperse, you will still be through Passport control and at the baggage reclaim before your luggage appears.
Also have a pen handy because before you go through customs you now have to fill in a new white customs declaration form, so you will be able to do this while waiting for your luggage(it will be new to me also on my forthcoming trip) to declare that you have no more than a certain amount in $$$$ I think its something ridiculous like $US100,000.Also on departure you have to fill another white declaration form, so pick an extra one up on your arrival then you can have it filled in ready for your departure.

Angie.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.