Caribbean Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Caribbean
I have had lots of comments that Mexico, Jam and Dom Rep are all rainy season and hurricane season.

Give us a clue? What time of year are you talking about? ;)
oops, totally forgot that part..........September this year - middle 2 weeks.

Thanks
It will be nearing the end of hurricane season then but there is still chance of one!!!

To be honest I wound not let that put you off, we have been around that time and had no problems.
Ok, I'll kick off for you...

We've been to Greece, mexico and Dom Rep during August and I have to say Greece is my favourite place out of them all, probably because we like the type of holiday where we can have a wonder around and eat local food with the locals. You should have reasonable weather there in Sept, especially on one of the southernmost islands such as Rhodes etc but maybe a little rain can't be ruled out.

In the Caribbean, your holiday will more than likely revolve around the hotel as most packages are AI. If this is the type of holiday you enjoy, you're quids in. You will find you get much vetter value for money on these long haul AI's than you would in the eurozone. Of the 3 islands you mention the Dom Rep is the most affordable and tbh I slightly preferred it to Mexico.
Yes, Sept is during the hurricane season but it depends if you're prepared to take a gamble or not. The first time we were in the Dom Rep we had the tail end of Hurricane charlie which just meant that we had a couple of extremely heavy downpours one day and an hour or so of really strong winds but for the rest of the time it was Hot! Hot! Hot! and we had our best hol ever. Then we went to Mexico where we didn't experience any adverse weather. Last Year we were in the south East of Dom Rep and we had an advisory that a hurricane was going to hit us that evening, that was a bit worrying but the storm deviated last minute and all we had was a terrific thunderstorm and then back to beautiful weather.

I know everybody's different but I def wouldn't let the prospect of maybe having a hurricane put me off going again.

Good Luck with whatever you choose!
I have been to them all and my preference is for Jamaica or Mexico. If you pushed me to choose only one, I would probably go for Mexico, specifically the Playacar area. In Playacar you are not restricted to your hotel because the town (Playa del Carmen) is only a $5 taxi ride or a 15 - 20 minute walk away (from the Riu Tequila anyway, which is one of the furthest away). Mexico is very safe to walk around in, even away from the tourist areas and at night. We walked into town many times. I have found that Jamaica and Dom Rep are a bit more restrictive because the hotels are normally fairly isolated so you don't really have much choice unless you use taxis.
As for the weather, we have found that Dom Rep seems to have the worst weather out of the 3. Maybe we've just been unlucky but we've been twice now during the "non-rainy" season, and both times it has rained more than Mexico in the rainy season (which is when we normally go). Rainy season normally means that it is sunny all day then around 3 in the afternoon the clouds come over and it absolutely howls it down with rain for about 20 - 30 minutes, then the clouds disappear and within another 30 minutes you can't even tell it has rained. As for Hurricanes, I wouldn't let that put you off. The risk is only very small and the hotels are all set up for it anyway. We normally go in late September and the weather has always been good.

Cheers

Keith
Hi,

I have been to al 3 as well.

All depends what you like to do.

Dom rep - so/so
Jamaica - paradise but not maky trips
Mexico - paradise again, same trips as in Jamaica as the caribbean trips are mainly water based but you've also got the ruins here.

If you go Mexico, I agree stay in playa del carmen. we hired a car, was brilliant! went to xel ha for the day. was a great day. natural water park with snorkelling, free food, tree swings, jumps. great and easy driving as the roads are straight up and opposite way is straight down, both have a few lanes as well so really wide and you know which saide of the road you should be on, its brill.

I would go Mexico if i were you. We went in September and the bloody rain ruined it and we found the sun went in and it went dark early, crap if you're not big drinkers like me and my other half, we like the sun and enjoy making the most of it! Was good at night, there was a cinema a few blocks away and they shown english films so we got a taxi out most nights.

We stayed in a really lovely hotel, reasonably priced too!! photo's do not do it justice, we really enjoyed it. Sando's caracol beach resort and spa. Had hydrotherapy pool spa, big gym 2 rooms, about 3 pools, and a spa, was amazing. Pictures dont do it justice.

Was lovely.

check it out: http://www.firstchoice.co.uk/holidays/mexico-caribbean-coast-holidays/riviera-maya/sandos-caracol-eco-resort-and-spa/?ito=trip&ITC=I-020697-SANDOSCARACOLECORESORT&SPA

Thomas cook seemed to be cheapest but we ended up booking via teletext.

Let me know what you think and decide to do xx
Thank you for everyones replies but we did book Dominican, Riu Palace Hotel, Punta Cana for September...........can't wait, it looks amazing!
Yeyy, have an amazing time, im sure it will be brill.

Riu hotels are the best, you'll love it xxxx
Glad you've booked and are looking forward now. we had a brilliant holiday in one of the Riu complexes in the Dom Rep - I'm sure you won't be disapointed.
Nice one! We've just come back from that complex, but we stayed in the Riu Bambu. You'll have a great time. Beach is stunning!! :tup
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.