Caribbean Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Caribbean
I was in Mexico a few years ago. The people I stayed with gave me a long list of things to stay safe, so many I didn't feel safe. If you are considering a 'adults only' hotel then I suggest you change your pland and DON'T go to Mexico.
Why do you say that greenHamlet?
I have stayed at a few Adults only in Mexico - never had any problems. Plus leajane has already stated she can't stay in an adults only as she will have a 1 year old with her.!

Denny
I suggest you change your pland and DON'T go to Mexico.

What an extreme comment to make - especially as you've never been. Thousands of tourists visit Mexico every year with no problems. We were there 2 years ago and had a brilliant holiday, my sis was with us on her second visit and my son's booked to go to a wedding at the Riu Palace las Americas, Cancun in May and is really looking forward.
Leajane - I have been there twice and at no time did I feel unsafe. It's a lovely place to visit. I stayed at the Riu Tequila the both times. We saw a beautiful wedding at the beach there, complete with Mariachi band.
greenHamlet has been banned. Seems he may have been on a posting spree in order to promote a website. Please ignore comments. I can delete his comments and those refering to his comments if you all so wish?
Fine by me Glynis.

Thanks Denny
Leajane - we are going to Mexico for a wedding in April 2010. Its taking place at the El Dorado Sunshine Suites (First Choice brochure). The couple holidayed there 2 years ago and loved it so much they decided to make it their wedding venue. They saw weddings taking place whilst there and have no qualms at all about their wedding day. This is in the Riviera Maya resort.
We got married in the Riviera Maya, Mexico in Oct 2006. We had previously stayed a few times at the Iberostar Paraiso Del Mar and had some wonderful stays there and decided to get married at the neighbouring IB* Paraiso Maya. We booked both the holiday and wedding package through Thomas Cook and from start to finish we had a fantastic time. The downside to a Mexican wedding was the mountain of paperwork before travelling which all needs translating and authorising by the Foreign Office, though this is common with many overseas wedding destinations, and the Mexican requirement for a blood test in resort prior to the wedding.

The Iberostar Paraiso hotels are on the coast halfway between Cancun and Playa del Carmen. Four of the hotels, Del Mar, Beach, Lindo and Maya are family hotels with the Beach and Del Mar having the least facilities, a la carte restaurants etc. (and the least expensive!). We loved our stays at the Del Mar and they would be ideal for holidaying with a young child. The top hotel on the resort is the adults only Paraiso Grand, an outstanding hotel which gets rave reviews. We stayed at the Grand last October and it rates as the best hotel we have encountered anywhere. A plus to the Iberostar Paraiso hotels resort as a wedding destination is that family and guests (assuming there are any!) can opt to stay at a hotel which is suitable in both cost terms and also whether they would prefer an adult-only environment. You can dine/drink at any of the hotels in the category you have booked or lower.

We looked at staying at the Azul Sensatori next year and it looks excellent for families. We were ready to book it for March but then changed our minds and booked the Valentin Imperial Maya, however this wouldn't be suitable as it's adults-only.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
My daughter got married in Mexico in April 2009 at the Catalonia Riviera Maya resort, booked through Hayes and Jarvis and everything was excellent, from the wedding dept at this end to the wedding coordinators at the hotel, they made sure everything was well planned and the day was very special, much more than could have been hoped for, would highly recommend.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.