Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
me too I have never once reclined my seats even on long haul its awful when someone puts their seat back and they are nearly on your knee x
I agree long overdue, hopefully the others will follow
I never recline my seat and I hate it when the person in front does, but these seats aren't being fitted for our convenience, they are being fitted to save weight and money. My wife sat in one of these seats and hated it saying there was less legroom than the older seats.
If Monarch listened to their customers they would give a bit more legroom as well as stopping the reclining. I hope the other charter airlines follow suit and give us more space.
Welldone Monarch ! Nice to see them following Ryanair and Easyjet lead - only Thomson/Tom Cook etc etc to go.

Now they need to provide the same amount of legroom in their standard seating as Easyjet and Ryanair and I may even think of using them again.
Not before time. It reminds me of a flight back from Menorca in October 2007 when the passenger in the seat in front of my wife decided that he wanted to sleep on the shortish flight. It was a Thomsons flight with a small seat pitch and not really enough room to recline without affecting the passenger behind. Anyway, the seat banged my wife's knee so I had a word and got no joy from the big guy who didn't give a flying you know what. To be honest, it took a lot of self-control for me to keep my composure but I made sure I ended up behind him when we were queuing to get off the plane at the end of the flight and politely told him what I thought about his selfish attitude. I think his mate and nearby passengers were a little concerned it might escalate but having the last word by telling him that I just wished the passenger in front of him had done the same to him, I left it at that. Monarch are just being sensible with this decision.
Great move, I never recline my seat on a short haul, depending on the particular plane configuration I have reclined on long haul, but only when it was a night flight and in premium where there was a considerable amount of space between the seats and it didn't impact on the person behind.
Qman wrote:
I never recline my seat and I hate it when the person in front does, but these seats aren't being fitted for our convenience, they are being fitted to save weight and money. My wife sat in one of these seats and hated it saying there was less legroom than the older seats.
If Monarch listened to their customers they would give a bit more legroom as well as stopping the reclining. I hope the other charter airlines follow suit and give us more space.

I think it's a great move :) It will give more legroom, not less, due to the seats being slimmer than the current ones. How's your wife managed to sit in one when they haven't refitted the aircraft yet?
How's your wife managed to sit in one when they haven't refitted the aircraft yet?

Erm maybe because Monarch have been trialing the prototypes for 11 months to acquire customer feedback.
It always helps to read the link ;)

Sanji
I have had and people in front of me seats that have faulty reclining catches so they don't stay upright, so no reclining = no faults, :tup
Sanji wrote:
How's your wife managed to sit in one when they haven't refitted the aircraft yet?

Erm maybe because Monarch have been trialing the prototypes for 11 months to acquire customer feedback.
It always helps to read the link ;)

Sanji

Erm I did, but as " Monarch has trailled prototypes over the past 11 months" I was wondering how they knew that they had seat in the same prototype, especially as they do offer more legroom, not less?
On a Easyjet flight to Tenerife the couple sitting in front of my wife and I looked for the 'recline button' as soon as they sat down, of course there wasnt one.

This didnt stop the man (sitting in front of me) continuing to press his finger along the arm rest looking for it and when he realised there wasn't a button then trying to force the seat to recline by forceably pushing it back with this body.

Eventually he and his wife gave up and I had the biggest smile you could imagine !

My wife went on a 321 with the reclining seats and thought the seat was good. She came back on a 321 with the new non reclining seats and did not like them because there was less legroom and she says that the seats were narrower. There was less legroom because Monarch have a few rows of extra legroom seats, so they have closed the gap in the others to get the same number of passengers in.

We both agree that seats shouldn't recline when there is so little legroom. Flying on a Thomson 757, with the old First Choice seats, I got cramp before we had taken off. Please give us more legroom.
From reading this I can see that they are using slimmer seats which will use less room and create more space ( legroom ) but the pitch remains the same , so are they managing to put an extra row of seats in ? Or is the pitch increasing ?
I think the design improvements are good regards the storage idea and the tablet holder , the non recline is common sense for short flights and probably fine for flights to the Canaries and Egypt but are they comfortable enough for longer flights ? I believe they fly to Orlando and Goa , or do these flights have a better seat pitch anyway ?

http://www.seatplans.com/airlines/Monarch-Airlines
Yes the slimmer seats will give you more room, but if you give some rows even more room and charge more, then cram the other seats closer together you get the same amount of passengers as before.
So some passengers pay more and get the extra room, the others get less room than before.

28" is not good enough these days. The minimum for short haul should be at least 29" as on easyjet and Ryanair.
So by using slimmer seats you can overall create more room to squeeze in another row , or have more premium or ex legroom seats which of course you can charge more for , and by not allowing them to recline passengers don't feel their space being invaded .
With less weight, therefore improved fuel economy and extra seat revenue I think many airlines will introduce this type of seating especially with short haul flights where there is much competition with the likes of easyjet and ryanair , I've heard BA are doing similar on European flights .
On my recent flight with Ryanair on the outbound journey it felt like there wasn't any padding in the seat at all. I thought I was sitting on a piece of hardboard, I was jokingly tempted to buy a piece of sponge for the inbound leg! However, the return journey's seat was better :tup
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.