Africa/Middle East Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Africa/Middle East inc.Dubai
hi when we went we took about £50 in local currency with us and changed the rest either in a local bank or at reception as you get a better rate there.
as far as i know you can pay the saffari in sterling but we used card as we booked with 1st choice while we were there.
I am correct thinking you'll need US dollars for the visa - unless bought in advance - $25 at the moment to encourage tourists?
alanwall,

That's correct, it's best to use US$ for the visa. I only took US$ with me and changed to shillings locally as required.

Darren
I applied for the visas here in the UK, £20 per person. Plus the Special Delivery costs via the Post Office for your passports back etc. BTW, you have to send cash, or Postal Orders. No Cheques or cards.
Our safari company prefers cash in pounds sterling as the balance of our payment (Our deposit was by banker's draft). Is this standard practice in Kenya to pay for independently booked safaris?
we paid our saffari through the travel agent but the people who booked independantly in our hotel paid a deposit in uk before going and then paid cash balence when you arrive and meet the saffari guide.
When we were in Kenya in Feb no-one accepted pound sterling even the Porters. Euro or Dollars are fine.
my travel agents have told me to take cash not travellers cheques as they are hard to cash has antone else been told this cheers vince 41 days to go ;)
veade,

In my experience, travellers cheques are no harder to change in Kenya than anywhere else I've been to. It's a little strange for a travel agent to advise against taking them for security purposes. Most hotels will change them and there's banks available depending on where you're staying. What they may have meant was once you leave hotels or cities and go rural, ie on safari (assuming that's why you're off to Kenya), you'll not get them changed so make sure you have cash with you then.

Darren
i've ordered some US DOLLAR travellers cheques today only 3 weeks and 3 days to go ;)
veade,

Pounds and Euros are widely accepted, US Dollars are fine but you may have saved a few £££ in commersion / exchange rate by just taking pounds. Don't forget cash for your entry visa if you haven't already got it! Have a great time :cheers

Darren
$50 each that was the first money we changed over to get in the country just can't wait :)
:think OK let see if I have got this correct,

I need US$ for the entry visa, is there also a departure tax? if so how much and is this payable in US$?

My safari company wants paid in £ Sterling so I will be taking some cash, the remainder of my spending money I will have placed on to a pre paid currency Visa card which I will be using to withdraw from ATM's / Banks and as a debit card in shops or restaurants etc.

Does that sound a reasonable and secure way of taking spending money?

Cheers
Graham
All that sounds reasonable Graham. I took sterling with me mainly as it's easy enough to change it over their. Departure tax is 20$ / £12 payable in US$ or Kenyan shillings.

Darren
Thanks Darren, is departure tax still 20 I thought it had gone up to 30?
KIltman, I think you can pay for an arrival visa in sterling - £30, Euros - 40€ or US dollars - 50$. I've checked with BA and the departure tax is included in the cost of my ticket. You might like to look at the breakdown of your air ticket ...

Are KSh available outside the country? The way things are going, it's probably worth paying in KSh ...
When we went (which was a few years back) they were really funny about us paying for the entry visa in sterling - they seemed to much prefer dollars. Might just have been the particular staff on duty that day though!
Another web forum has referred to 'dollar days' for visas on arrival at NBO. I'm told that there's a handy Forex bureau in the arrivals hall .... I'd been intending - and still intend to take GBP!
Just back via Mombasa Moi and paid for Visa's in £ Sterling with no problems, they cost £30 each, we paid the departure tax in Sterling which cost £15 each.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.