Africa/Middle East Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Africa/Middle East inc.Dubai
Hi Kazee :wave:

While you wait on some replies you might want to take a look at the Africa and Middle East resort reports

you could also have a look at some of the hotel reviews for the area http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/reviews/africa/&%20Middle%20East/

Graham
Kazee,

It all depends what you want to do when you get there really. The Mombassa area is the best place to be if you just want a beach / hotel based holiday. Although there's a bit of variation, I would choose a hotel rather than a resort as the resort areas don't vary by much really. If you want good diving, Diani is slightly better than Bamburi for example with plenty of marine life on the inshore reef and sharks if you want them, but they're all good. The Mombassa area is a good base for safaris as you are only a couple of hours from Tsavo East / West etc and the Masai Mara is only a short flight away.

An important thing to consider before travelling is to make sure you are up to date with all vaccinations including Yellow Fever and malaria protection.

Darren
Thanks peeps, quite fancy the voyager beach resort or Diani sea resort or lodge.
Love to snorkel etc and seek out the marine life. :D
Kazee
Kazee wrote:
Love to snorkel etc and seek out the marine life

Bear in mind the Indian Ocean is quite tidal up there and with having an inshore reef, the water is very shallow and not brilliant for snorkelling, particularly on the spring tides. The tide will be well out on a spring tide so it's a fair way out before you'll get to the deeper water and find the marine life. Diani is probably better than the north of Mombassa in that respect, but still don't expect good snorkelling. The diving is great if you wanted to take the plunge. You'll also have lots of beach sellers trying to make a living who although are a good laugh and you'll get to know them, can get annoying after a while. A polite no thanks is usually enough though.

The Voyager is quite nice, I visited there a couple of times when we were picking up some divers.

Darren
Is it fair to say then that snorkelling is not very good at Kenya? Or does it depend where or what resort we visit.

Thanks Kazee x
It varies depending on where exactly you are. There's snorkelling available, it's just not on the immediate beach front in many places. You either have to walk out to the reef / drop-off or go by boat. To give you an idea of what I mean:

This is low water on a spring tide at Bamburi:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v288/Dazbo5/kenya01.jpg

You'll need to walk out to the deeper water in order to find the marine life.

This is at high water towards the neap end of the cycle at Bamburi:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v288/Dazbo5/kenya02-1.jpg

The water is pretty shallow until you reach the drop-off so you'll need to wade out to find any descent snorkelling. There are places to go, but you just need to have a walk around to find them. I was diving so didn't bother snorkelling. You can just about see the reef in the background where the sharks played out!

Darren
Thanks Darren you are most informative.

Kazee x

First time to Kenya, beach, shops, bars and restaurants where is the best to stay though?
I am certain of where we need to be should we have a safari and stay.......decisions, decisions. :que
Kazee,

It's not really the type of holiday for bars and restaurants. Personally, I never ventured in to Mombassa itself as I didn't feel safe. It was fine as part of a tour or when you were with someone, but you have to think about personal safety so I didn't go in to Mombassa on that basis. There aren't many shops or restaurants around the hotel areas since most are all inclusive so you're really only in the hotels as a base for other activities, mainly safaris. We were given all sorts of advice over going out and about and when driving through Mombassa for example, all windows had to be closed and bags on the floor out of the way just in case someone may have tried to grab something through a window when going slowly or at traffic lights. Walking up and down the beach was fine as was around the front of hotels (in daylight), but closer to the city things started to get a little more interesting. I'm not trying to put you off, far from it as Kenya is a wonderful country. However you have to think of what you want from the holiday before you go. If you're wanting to go and walk around the city or go for the shopping and restaurants, it might not be the place for you. If you're wanting to go for the wildlife or watersports, or a holtel based holiday, then it's a top destination. Kenya is a poor country and to see how they make a living and their way of life is very humbling when you think what we have. The standard of cuisine in the safari camps is as amazing as the scenery and wildlife though, especially considering you're 50km from the nearest road! If you've never visited that part of the world before, it's an eye opener. In some parts, they'd rather you give them your t-shirt, socks or shoes / trainers than money as it's no good to them, but your clothes are. I swapped 2 t-shirts and a postage stamp (so I could post a letter for someone) for a small wooden carving of an elephant for example, as well as a few schillings just as a good will gesture. The bartering can be fun! As I mentioned before, most of the resort areas are just hotels and don't really vary by much. I would decide what you want from the holiday and whether Kenya is for you (the safari alone makes it worth it, I posted some photos on this post Kenya Advice), then decide on the hotel.

Darren
Hi I just booked to go end of march we booked the southern palms beach resort supose to be really nice so fingers crossed our first time to kenya x
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.