Africa/Middle East Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Africa/Middle East inc.Dubai
kenya
9 Posts
Click Here for our reviews for Bamburi Beach hotel.

I've added the Travellers Beach hotel to our review site. If anyone has stayed here please add your review by Clicking Here

Many thanks :tup
hi most people tend to book their saffari localy as you can save lots of money and the local companies are safe and trustworthy.

when are you thinking of going ? bear in mind some tour operaters are not going to kenya till summer now eg first choice first flight out i think is june/july
Hi
Thanks for replying, We weren't thinking of going until January or may be even later than then have you any advice on when the best time to go is.
hi yes i think jan/feb is the best time we were going this year but after the problems in jan with the riots we had to change to cuba. :cry
we will also be looking to return early next year. :tup
January and february are some of the good months to travel in Kenya however I highly recommend you to travel in either July or August. The annual migration of the wildebeest will be taking place in the Masai Mara and its an interesting scene worth to witness. BUT its a bit expesive to travel during those months as well.

Bamburi beach - if you are referring to the sister Hotel to Diani Palm resort in Diani beach its very nice. Kindly note that there are many Bamburis along the north coast of Mombasa so its nice to be specific...

I will advise you to book your trip before hand. By doing this you will be able to customize your safari depending with your interests. Sometime it can be tiring running from one office to another shopping for safari. You will waster a lot of your holiday time and in most cases you end up getting what you did not expect.

Good luck,

Tatiana.
The Bamburi Beach is the correct name of the hotel in north Mombasa. We stayed there a few years ago, but too long ago to give an opinion on the hotel.

The first time we went to Kenya we booked a 3 days safari in resort with the Thomson's rep to Tsavo East and West and Amboseli.

The second time we went we didn't intend to safari again having done it. However I got bored after a few days lying in the sun. We booked with a local company in the shopping centre near the Diani Sea Resort and had an excellent safari. We went in March, which is the rainy season, and we had the whole camp (it was a tented safari), minibus and staff to ourselves.

luci :wave
Hi I was born in Kenya in 1954 and lived there until January 1992.

I hope you know about taking anti-malaria tablets as there is cerebal malaria on the coast, which attacks the brain and, if untreated you can go into a comar from which you will never return. This isn't helped by the stupid doctors in England who, even in this day and age, still don't know how to recognise the symptoms of malaria and still treat it as being Indian flu, leaving the poor patient untreated and subsequently to die.

I am not trying to put you off going to Kenya - it is beautiful but you need to start taking anti-malaria tablets about a week before going and continue taking them for about 10 days to a week after you return. As I said before I lived there for 37 years but have never had malaria because I was careful.

The anti-malaria tablets can cause thrush because they kill the good bacteria in your body, so go to Holland & Barrett and get some Acidophilus, which is basically good bacteria in capsule form, and take one in the morning and one in the evening. Your doctor should know which anti-malaria drug is the best to take at this time.

I went back to Kenya in 2004 after leaving in 1992 and I wouldn't recommend that you wonder around Nairobi on your own. Whereas I lived and worked in Nairobi and there were restaurants in the city centre, it has now become an unsafe place to go with all the whites shopping in the outskirts and only venturing into Nairobi when absolutely necessary.

Do not carry expensive cameras nor lots of money on you at any time on the beaches as you would be inviting trouble. It is safer to put your money into your hotel safe. In the past there have been gangs who have attacked tourists who do carry expensive cameras or money on them. They are asking for trouble. If you sit at a cafe either put your own leg through your handbag and camera or the leg of the table so present someone snatching it.

Kenya is a beautiful country and well worth a visit, especially the costal regions as the sand is white as white and soft like fine flower. There is also good goggling and you can hire a boat to take you there. Again, don't take any extra money other than what you need and don't carry any valuable jewellery with you. In fact it is better not to take any jewellery with you that you would be upset about if you lost it.

Enjoy your holiday there.
I stayed in Sun N Sands in Mombasa in April 2006, we met a couple that were staying at Bamburai and I remember having to go to their resort to do jet skiing as we couldn't do from ours because of a reef I believe.

That's about the only thing I remember about Bamburi.

I booked safari locally as well. I had a great time.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.