Africa/Middle East Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Africa/Middle East inc.Dubai
MOROCCO
262 Posts
Laurence,

We went in late April the first time and around late May the second time. Do bear in mind that Agadir can be quite misty most days. Mist usually lifts around noon. Another good hotel is Agadir Beach Club and it is as its name suggests, right on the beach and really lovely. It is not all inclusive though and is quite expensive. You could always check the weather by getting a ten day forecast on some of the weather sites on the web. If they have kept their standards up, the Tikida Dunas is definitely the best choice in Agadir.
Great thanks for that Mim.
Hi we are looking at the Ramada resort

I have looked on the hotel review but it has no rating does that mean its no good or that no one has been :?:
We are going in august never been before i was wondering will it be safe to walk around at night?silly question you might think but we went to Tunisia a coulple of yeras ago and to be honest we felt quite uncomfortable to walk about there,but we have been told Morocco is more relaxed any advice :shrug
Could you please advise where abouts in Morocco you are staying?

Mark :D
Hi, I have not posted for ages. Can anyone tell me if any innocculations are required for Morocco?
Nothing compulsory if travelling from the UK, but I strongly suggest you visit your GP for up-to-date advise.

Thank you for your quick reply. Is there any web site I can check to see what is reccomended, that you know of. I have tried NHSD direct and FCO. I need the information to pass on to someone who does not see the need to check with GP and I am concerned for them. (We did not know ourselves about the reccomendations for Turkey until it was almost too late)

Thanks again.

Lizzy
Check the following link (information is 4 years old though):

https://www.the-stationery-office.co.uk/doh/hinfo/travel13.htm

Hi lizzyyann, we are going to Morocco this year in July and have had to have typhoid, hep A and be upto date with your tetanus, diptheria and polio jabs. They were free jabs and it is better to be safe than sorry :) You dont have to have them but I think when taking kids then it's best to as my doctor told us :!:
We have booked a holiday with Panorama flying 27th September for 14 dayss.

We have booked all 14 nights at the Odyssee Park Hotel in Agadir and had planned to travel to Marrakech for 2 nights mid way through holiday.

My concerns have been raised following checking this site (didn't know it existed before booking) and finding that no one who has been to Odyssee Park seemed to like it! :cry:

I am also concerned about food hygiene and wondered whether we would be better going to somewhere like Hotel Kamal which comes out top of ratings but just go B & B. If we did this, what is Agadir like for resturants?

And are we spending long enough in Marrakech? Is there anywhere else we MUST GO? :shrug

Panorama have told us that we can change the booking to any of theire, or First Choices hotels up to 8 weeks before. :hmmm

We really don't know what to do for the best so your advice would be appreciated.

Im kinda after the same information as you, bit concerned, statrting to wonder why the holiday was a bit of a bargain being AI

when you going?
We are going 27th Sept for 14 nights.

I am a bit worried :( and would rather some honest info now so I can make sure its not a holiday we regret - its likely to be our last before kids!

oh well im just gonna go, if i like it i like it, if not never again!

ive just been goiong through some of the old posts which i should have done before i posted and answered my own question.

its a bit mad that some ppl love it and others hate it, suppose that its just a matter for taste!

Have a gooden k!
Hi,
Can't speak for Agadir, as we stayed in Marrakech, but I would recommend a trip into the Atlas mountains beyond Marrakech if you can fit it in............absolutely stunning.
And my sister in law spoke very highly of Essouira on the coast (don't know how far from Agadir) as a must see. Also Tarroudant was on the tv recently & looke :wink: d good for a day trip.
Hope this helps.
HI

whats this place like a resort, would it suit young kids, and whats there to do there ?
It's not really what I would class as a resort, it's a busy working inland city. It is some years since I was there so it may have changed, the hotels nearly all have pools and possibly children's play areas. The main interest is the bazaar, the large square and the architecture of the old buildings. Someone who has been recently may feel more able to tell you the suitability for children.
Dear Gooner,

I have been thinking about your post, even before you pm'd me. I regret to say that in my opinion, Marrakesh is not a suitable holiday destination for you and your family given the details you have passed on.

There are I consider good reasons behind this:

Firstly Marrakesh will be VERY hot at the end of August around 38-40° C, and there is not a lot of shade. It is after all close to the Atlas mountains and the Sahara Desert! Yes, many of the 'posh' and tourist hotels have swimming pools, but it really would be too hot for your little ones.

Secondly, Marrakesh is a working town, with all the hustle and bustle that that implies ... especially the hustle! There is a lot of noise, and everyone seems to have forgotten the 'rules' of the road! Your children might be very frightened by this and will certainly be upset by the condition of horses, donkeys and mules that are used as forms of goods transport and are treated roughly.

The ruins, ancient buildings and the souks (markets) will hold no interest for your children.

The journey to Agadir is a long 4 hours - and both there and in Marrakesh you risk finding parking a problem. A lot of 'parkings' are supervised by locals for a fee (how good are you at bargaining in Arabic or French?). There are often road blocks (legit ones sometimes too!) where you will have your documents thoroughly inspected - possible problems if you don't have an international driving licence or a photographic license - and may have to pay a 'fee' to continue your journey uneventfully.

If you REALLY want to go to Morocco, I would suggest that you look for a reliable tour operator offering Agadir as a seaside hotel base (with hopefully a children's playground on site, and/or activities for youngsters), and take a day trip or a 2 day trip to Marrakesh. You'll get more from it like that.

Hygiene levels in Morocco vary tremendously. I don't usually have any problems with the rear end ... but I certainly picked up something in Morocco that spoilt a lot of my holiday and took some time and hefty meds to sort out once I was home. You would have to be ULTRA careful with your little ones.

I am not decrying Marrakesh as a holiday destination, and hope to return there very soon myself. But I do consider it as really an Adult destination, and preferably well-travelled adults at that.

I think it has little if any appeal to children of the age of yours - and although I took my son travelling when he was even younger than your littlest, I don't think that the health risks that Morocco proposes to little ones are worth taking.

I am really sorry if you think that I am being negative - but let another 10 years go by and they'll really enjoy the North African experience and its colour and tumult much more.

If you really want to go to North Africa, you should find that Tunisia has a far better developed infrastructure for young travellers.

Kind regards,

Alsa
The resort is kinda englishy, not steak, chips etc etc though. Its not hugely traditional.

You will be kept entertained if you travel around morocco by bus/train.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.