EX-Pats and Owners Abroad

Discussions for EX-Pats and owners abroad or those who are considering this idea.
Is your adviser Independent? IFA
Not so sure about mortgages in Spain. I daresay Internet should help.
If your guys not Independent PM me I may be able to help.
Mad Mick

Our guy is the owner of Canarias Investment Advisers S.L. in Las Galletas.
As well as being our estate agent for the purchase he is also opening our bank acounts, getting our NIE numbers etc. for us. His sister in law who also works for him is a solicitor and she deals with that side of any purchase.
It is all kept under one roof in order to make things easier for the buyer.

Jackie
I'm not saying this is a problem, but if they are all connected then they could in theory "stitch you up"
I would always advise you use and independent solicitor, not in any way connected to the agent or seller.
I would have a survey done by someone who is not connected to any of the parties.
I would use an Independent Financial Adviser to source your mortgage.
Why? Theres a danger of conflict of interest.
I'm not pulling down your contacts, it just makes good sense.
I agree with Mick, always best to get some independant advice.

Log on and ask some questions on the bank websites.

We used Banca March who arranged a survey before we bought the apt.

The bank will also do some of the checks "but not all" to ensure there are no problems with ownership.
With all due respect Jackie..I hope it all goes ok for you ..but as previous posters have suggested there is an element of risk also to this "keeping it in house"
If you go to google and type in "Spanish mortgages" you will get a substancial list of companies that offer mortgages. These will all either be agents or mortgage brokers and they will inform you of the process.

This will give you a good basic insight into what you are getting and will help you decide if you are being looked after by the agent.

It is difficult to find an independant lawyer when you are new to the area but if you do have the time this could be invaluable in the long term. Although the company you are using are probably fine, to have your own laywer who will ask the correct questions would be my best advice. Why not post on here for anyone who has used a good company in Tenerife.

Best of luck whatever though and I hope you enjoy your new home. It is always exciting but scary!!!!
Hi Jackie

We have a mortgage with Banca March & have found them really good, good rate, no charges for transfers to Tenerife etc
If interested please PM me & I will send you the e-mail address of the person to speak to - he speaks good english & will give you a quote with no obligation.
Nigel
I have a mortgage with Banesto, also been very good. I have friends who have mortgages with Barclays, Popular, BBVA, Santander , La Caixa & Caja Canarias to name a few. They are all happy with their banks too. :wink:
Thanks Mackum

I think that gives me quite a few banks to be going on with

Rgds Jackie
Just one thing to be aware of is that when we took out a mortgage in December with Banco Santander they insisted that we took a mortgage protection policy out with them as condition of getting the mortgage. This was very expensive compared to England and after talking to other owners who also bought apartments on the same complex (Los Almendros) Fanabe learnt that they cannot force it as a condition. We have since cancelled the policy and arranged cover in England
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.