Greece - Crete Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Crete.
Motorbike hire
7 Posts
Yes the roads are easy to drive on - if you are driving in a conventional and competent manner. However, the greatest danger in Crete is not from the roads themselves, but the other drivers using them.

I am deliberately targetting those visitors who suddenly think WOW a motor bike or even worse WOW a QUAD. These people have never driven these vehicles at home and therefore have no knowledge or experience of how to use something which could be deadly both to them and to others.

Why try to use these when you wouldn't at home? Being on holiday does not excuse you the duty of responsibility to yourself and others; most hire companies have inadequate insurance cover offered with these machines, helmets are considered to be unnecessary and effete, and those in control at the handlebars often have an unhealthy amount of alcohol churning around inside them.

PLEASE drive sensibly, respecting the rules of the road as they apply legally in Crete, and enjoy the wonderful countryside. That way you will live to drive another day.

Oh and PS, make sure that the bike is actually roadworthy. Some roads have very little traction and are very smooth, leading to skids. If your tyres are bald or too smooth, you will put yourself at risk more often ON road than OFF road - so do give your machine a good look over before you hire it.
IF we hire on Crete it's usually a 650cc bike and I make sure that we've got insurance to cover it and my other half is an experienced biker. If you're thinking about scooters - forget it - they won't make it up the mountains. Have a car, it's about the same price (or cheaper) as hiring a full size bike anyway!
Thanks for that - both gents have ridden motorbikes for a long time, and as we hire them every year we go away we are well aware of the dangers posed by other road users.
:wink: In that case....the roads vary - the main north coast road is in good condition, but dangerous due to the driving habits (we went 3 "junctions" by bike and I was glad to get off). Inland roads go from excellent, steep and winding to "my word, an unmade patch and pothole just appeared!" to unsurfaced, steep and winding....
Thanks for that - both gents have ridden motorbikes for a long time, and as we hire them every year we go away we are well aware of the dangers posed by other road users.

That may be so but we had a thread on here last year about the way they drive in Crete - and some horror stories.

Having been for the last two years I endorse every word of caution.

Enjoy your holiday and take care.

Rather read about airport delays and crap hotels than accidents.

PS where are you staying and do not forget to post a review when you get back.

fwh
Just booked for August 08 - staying at the Socrates 11 apartments between Stalis & Malia. We've never been to Crete before although we've visited a few other Greek Islands. Thanks for all your replies.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.