Malta and Gozo Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Malta and Gozo.
Motorbike hire
12 Posts
how big a bike ?

moped - no problem with hiring in Gozo, but be very careful of the potholes
Hi
Thanks. Would have preferred something a bit bigger - anything between 250 and 500 cc. Not too sure about the mopeds though. Nevertheless we can check them out when we get there. Just looking at a different option to car hire.
Megian
Comparing the roads in Malta (and the driving skills in the main towns) to where we live in Limassol, Cyprus, where driving is particularly bad - I would not recommend hiring a bike in Malta.

Many of the road surfaces are badly worn, shiny and slippery. In the towns, there is little attention paid to lane control and the road signs aren't the best we've seen.

We've just returned from our 4th visit to Malta (Bugibba/Qawra area) and were initially considering hiring a car as we fancied a trip to Gozo this time. However, funds were a bit low this time so we decided against it and are very glad we did. One, the weather was pretty atrocious - the worst we've had at this time of year so it was unlikely we would have made the trip to Gozo and we still can't fathom out the route from the airport to Bugibba :rofl

Yet, we've been in Cyprus for 5yrs and are used to seeing car drivers lighting cigarettes, talking on their mobiles, doing their hair or makeup etc etc... Again, there isn't much care for lane or driving etiquette out of the main towns and cities, traffic lights are jumped at every opportunity, speeding is a necessity as is not having kids strapped into car seats or belted in - but we still feel safer on the roads here!

They don't have a song called the Malta Calypso for nothing!

Be wary....

CwB
in a word[DON'T

Road surfaces are potholed and cracked and shiny
Drivers are not used to motorbikes as there are not that many around but if the weather is good on a Sunday don't even try to go anywhere as everyone and their aunty goes cruising I mean where on Malta an you REALLY drive a Toyota Celica GT4 properly but they do

Safest bet is a 4X4 still
but buses are cheap there are now two types of route normal and express the normal fare ranges from 47c to 1€04c whilst the express is 1€16 minimum
and if you need to see more of the island there are two open top bus routes starting from Sliema they are hop on ~ hop off circuits and cost €15 a head and go to places the buses don't.
hey , don't forget the other islands :D

there are loads of people on bikes in Gozo - mainly mopeds
What rubbish, there are loads of bikes in Malta (both large and small) and the roads are fine. Sure you'll have to be alert but that's the same in any country. Some roads are not the best but there's many Km's of brand new roads that have been built over the last 5 years with EU funding, particularly in the centre of Island.

I'm a motorcyclist who tours Europe regularly and we (me & 3-4 other bikes) will be making a trip to Malta next year.

If you want to rent a bike, there are loads of places to do this. Either try Google or arrange it when you arrive.
Hi
Thanks for all the replies. Its so interesting reading the differing views. We are pretty experienced with bikes. I'm sure Malta can't be as bad as Goa where we motorcycled everywhere. It was quite hair raising at times but fantastic. We'll get ourselves over to Malta first then make up our minds how to travel around.
Megian
OpenMinded wrote:
What rubbish, there are loads of bikes in Malta (both large and small) and the roads are fine.

Sorry BUT

The roads are rubbish except for the new ones built in the last 5 years
Many places don't need speed ramps as ordinary cars ground in the holes and there are places where bends are accompanied by screaming tyres as the surfaces are so shiny

On the roads where the tarmac is good the speed restrictions change very quickly and usually you find a nice yellow metal box at the road side too (usually hidden by a tree sign or bridge)

Experienced bikers will be OK as long as you keep all four eyes open we were only there for 8 days (28/2~8/3) saw 2 T bones where bikers were hit by cars and saw quite a few near misses only due to the bikers good handling -- Yet compared to the number of cars and trucks on the road bikes were very much in a minority around Bugibba/Qawra the most popular new vehicles seem to be pick-up trucks

BTW I like Motor bikes just can't ride anymore due to a duff back
I'm in Malta for around 4 months each year and have been for the last 5 years since I own an apartment here in St Julians. While there are road accidents here as in any country, I've only seen a handful of small accidents between cars, usually at low speeds since the roads are generally quite small and speed relatively low. I have yet to see a motorbike accident. Compared to riding in London or much ofthe south east of the UK, you will find it far safer and much more fun over in Malta, so please look at things in perspective.

As anywhere on a bike, just be careful at junctions because it is the tourists in cars who pose the greatest danger since they don't tend to know where they are going and will at times be driving how they would not back at home.

Regarding road surfaces, yes there are roads that have been over-patched and are bunpy but when you're travelling at most between 50-60 kmh it doesn't pose a problem.
Sorry openminded but
it is the tourists in cars who pose the greatest danger since they don't tend to know where they are going and will at times be driving how they would not back at home.

I strongly disagree! half the Maltese purchased their driving licences from unscrupulous examiners and the same half think they have to race all the time.
This is all too common :- http://www.timesofmalta.com/articles/view/20090407/local/lucky-escape
  • Edited by m&n 2009-04-07 08:48:27
The "Malta Calypso" - says all there is about driving in Malta.......

Do a search on Google to find: Maltese Calypso (it's on YouTube)

CwB
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.