EX-Pats and Owners Abroad

Discussions for EX-Pats and owners abroad or those who are considering this idea.
David

We too are trying to have a clear out. We are not taking any furniture or large items with us just personal effects. We intend to take what we can when we initially go and the rest will be stored at my fathers house until such time friends/relatives come to visit and bring a bag with them. I have not thought about storing thing in case we came back to the UK because that is not going to happen :lol: We're outta here.

Hope this helps a bit

Regards Jackie
Thanks.... don't get me wrong, I won't be shedding a tear for blighty when I wave goodbye !!
We put a lot of stuff in storage, as we only committed ourselves to living here in Lanzarote for three years, and didn't want to rebuy if we returned.

Well, we stayed here, and against advice from "those who knew better", shipped it all out once we made that decision!!!!! In my case, I should have listened to the advice, as the stuff I did ship out either didn't fit into the house I had here or hadn't been missed at all :roll: We then had a huge boot sale, and recouped about a tenth of the cost of the shipment!!!!! I don't even want to tell you about the cost of storage beforehand!!!!

Methinks Jackie has the right idea! :lol:
We could just make one big bonfire... evryone who is leaving this hole that was once reat Britain should pile high their old furniture and make one big fire..... it would solve the heating crisis as there would be plenty.... dare I say would warm all those coming to live here... but we won't get too controversial !!
Sue

I can understand you shipping it all over in one go. That's what I wanted to do, but then I think personal possessions are more personal for women, my husband would move tomorrow with just the clothes on his back. I have to admit that it took him a while to convince me that rather than paying thousands of pounds to get eveything over in one go that we could actually live for a few months without these items and there would be no detremental effects on our lives. I think it is just that I want familiar things around me when we do move; but as my husband said to me 'is anyone going to die if the items we are leaving behind for a while are not with us straight away?. Women think with their hearts and men with their heads (occasionally) :lol:

Regards Jackie
Funny old thing, but I'm more the one struggling to let things go - aside from personal stuff... my wife just wants to sell everything.... only problem is the market for 2nd hand furniture et al is awful currently, and you get back a fraction of what you paid for it.....
Have to admit David the furniture doesn't bother me at all. My sister in law and eldest son have made claim to most of it anyway. As you say it is not worth selling. It's just the fact that we can't take all our personal possessions in one go. But hey ho they will get there eventually.

Nice to hear you're a softy at heart :lol:

Rgds Jackie
I suppose in my case there was a twofold reason for shipping and storage. As well as thinking we maybe would return in three years, it was virtually impossible to buy any "nice" (for that read English style :roll: ) furniture. What was available was incredibly expensive. The other problems I had was with the children wanting their own stuff around them :roll: In fact we shipped my sons Mickey Mouse headboard, which he just couldn't live without, and when it eventually arrived, he looked at it in horror and refused to have it in his bedroom!!!!!!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.