America/Canada Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in America and Canada
Naples, Florida
8 Posts
Hi Fireman Sam
Sorry it is 6 years since we visited Naples but at that time we were about your age! We stayed at the Naples Beach Hotel and Golf Club. This has a beach front location and is not too far out of Naples. there are no restaurants within walking distance though and the hotel food was too dear for us. Some of the hotels can be about a 20-30 minute drive away. It is nice to hire bikes as there are cycle paths in the area. There is a trolley bus which comes to the hotel and has a circular route into town, the mall etc with a commentary. We also had a day excursion with this company where we went to the Everglades, saw some wild crocs in the river, had an airboat ride and a nature cruise. Very enjoyable.
In Naples itself Tin City has some lovely small shopping outlets and is waterside, nice restaurants etc. Fifth Avenue is great for browsing the shops. Parking was not a problem.
You can visit loads of places from here. We drove right down to Key West but it took 6 hours each way - very tiring. We visited Captiva and Sanibel and went to see the manatees in the river near Fort Myers (they only come in the winter).
Naples was a lovely resort but quite a bit pricier to eat and you need to dress properly for some of the restaurants. You can't go in shorts 24/7 like you can in Bradenton for example. There were a lot of rich americans there when we went (Nov) but we had a great time.
Hope you get replies from more recent visitors but hope this helps.
Enjoy, Jean
we stayed here http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g34467-d301420-Reviews-Bellasera_Resort-Naples_Florida.html is within walking distance of fifth ave and tin city and we drove to the beach in about 5 mins.the mall was also about 5mins away.there are plenty of restaurants on fifth ave and upscale shopping.the inn on fifth is right in the middle of fifth ave with a good irish pub.we only stayed 2nightsso we didn't venture too far as we travelled to other places after there..
We stayed at the Registry Resort three summers ago, I think it may now have been re-named the Naples Grande Resort. This had it's own boardwalk to the beach, which took about 5 mins, although it seemed longer in the July heat.

I would say one 'must do' is a sunset boat trip from Tin City, you see loads of pods of dolphins, ospreys etc. People do the trip, then eat in one of the waterside restaurants there. We also drove down to everglades city to go on an airboat and see the gators. A good idea is to do the Naples trolly bus tour the first day to give you a feel for the place and where everything is. This last for about an hour and a half.

Sanibel and Captiva are worth visiting as well. We didn't visit them last time but we did the previous time we visited. All depends how much time you have really. There is also a good mall for shopping and on the huge main road there are lots of restaurants. We found it a great place to holiday with an upmarket feel to it, not your run of the mill tourist destination.

Enjoy, Doe :)
I've requested the BELLASERA be added to our reviews.
Anyone wishing to post a review for the Naples Grande may do so HERE.

Pippy :D
:D Many thanks for the replies (doepsmc, kiershay, greecelover)
The information was most appreciated!

Appologies for the delay in saying thanks? Have been on a course for a few day's.
Visited friends in the Naples Grande two weeks ago and it is great. Turn down service twice a day and lovely rooms. Expensive though and for food and drinks. They add about 20$ a day for "beach charges"

Naples beach and country club is a superb location but it is a bit spread out and some of it is run down. I think it is overpriced.

Inn on the Fifth is good, great location on 5th Ave but not too far to the beach. Their Irish pub and restaurant does good cheap food.

For a cheapie try the Best Western Suite hotel, modest but lovely gardens and free breakfast. Rooms have a sitting room with flat screen computer (Free!) 2 TV's, kitchenette with fridge and microwave. Not much going on if you have kids just 2 pools and mini golf. About 5 mins from superb beach but only a quiet side road.
Thanks for the info Jacky!

I will look out for Irish Pub, as I like the black stuff they tend to sell :D
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.