Italy, Rivieras and Islands Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Italy, Rivieras and Islands.
Naples
7 Posts
Hi, I lived in Napoli 12years ago and whilst it isn't the most glamourous place in the world, I loved it.

Aim to stay in the Posilipo (wrong spelling) area. This is where the nice bars, shops and eateries are (as far as I can remember). It does have nice areas but if you want pose factor this town isn't for you.
Napoli is a gritty old port town and it does get it's fair share of crime.
If you are looking for lots of history and culture then there are nicer places in Italy to stay.

If you are determined to go, go with an open mind and your wits about you. It is a down to earth change from the classic places such as Rome and Milan.
Hi,

Many thanks for your reply. Not at all bothered about pose factor or a lack of glamour. I think most Italians could probably beat me at both hands down!! Having been to Venice and Verona it will be quite nice to see the grittier side of Italy. We're only going for 4 nights and among other things plan a trip to Pompeii. If you can think of any other must sees all tips will be gratefully received. With the exception of climbing Mount Vesuvius, as we'll be there in the height of summer :hot !!

A.
Hi,
Try and visit Erculano which was also destroyed by the volcano's eruption. There are a couple of good museams in Napoli also.
Sorrento is nice to go and relax and you can get to Isle of Capri from there which is a lovely island.

Versuvius is surprisingly cool nearer the top, so don't dismiss it due to the weather. It is a nice steady walk as well.
Hi,

many thanks for the advice. Definitely looking forward to the trip. One last question - can you recommend things to do in the evenings? Not really into all night clubbing, but where would be the best places for decent restaurants and cafe bars etc?

Thanks

A.
I haven't lived there for over 12 years so not sure where to go anymore. If you aim to go up near the castle I think there are some nice places to eat up there. There aren't any bars as such, because the Italians don't go out to drink. They are more cafe bars with food.
Hi,

thanks for all your tips and advice.

A.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.