Cruises

Discussions relating to Cruising holidays
Hi there

We did this cruise last year, calling at Naples on a very wet stormy windy day. We took the hydrofoil to Capri. The ticket station for the hydrofoil is just around the corner from where the Spirit docked. A wee tip though as there are a few ticket offices. It is round the back of the block where the tickets office are. ie not facing the sea. Just beware as well as there were plenty of beggars pestering, even stood right at the side of you whilst you were getting your ticket.

As we were in the middle of the sea between Naples and Capri, there was a terrific storm and the hydrofoil was like a bouncing ball in all that wind. Apparantly on the crossing after ours they were seriously considering stopping them as the weather was terrible!!! Fortunately the weather did improve and we managed to get back to the ship.

The cost of the ticket was 12 euros per person each way. When we got to Capri we walked (sorry climbed) to the top of to Capri town. You can if you prefer, take the funicular. Despite being a steep walk it was very pleasant. At the top though (Capri town) it was amass with other tourists.

Any other questions please ask.
Normally I'm a big fan of 'do it yourself' excursions. But in the case of Capri, there are perhaps some reasons for going with the ship's excursions.

The biggest reason is the one mentioned in passing by sugarbabe61:

Apparantly on the crossing after ours they were seriously considering stopping them as the weather was terrible!!! Fortunately the weather did improve and we managed to get back to the ship.

And that's this issue: how are you going to get back to the ship in Naples if you're stuck on Capri because the hydrofoils have been withdrawn? They won't hold the ship for an independant tripper. They will, however, make sure that they recover passengers who are on cruise line excursions.

Anywhere else, you've always got the option of leaping into a taxi to get back from wherever it is you are. (It might be expensive, but not as expensive as having to catch up with the ship at the next port.) But you don't have that option getting back from an island!
I was going to offer the same advice as Tom as I remember a couple having a similar experience on a cruise I was on and the ship would only wait for its own excursions.

Gill
thanks for the info on capri sugarbabes61, tom uk and gill1scott. another question for you if you could help us. dress code on the thomson spirit? i've been getting conflicting reports, for men is it smart casual in the evening or is it jackets and ties. i'm aware that the captains dinner is suit or even dinner suit but what about the other normal nights. also my wife is asking if the formal night is cocktail dresses or evening dresses. we assume that during the day shorts/tee shirts is ok. thanking you in anticipation
japjohn
Hi - re dress code - yes to all your questions!!

Evening for men tends to be smart casual I would say, and for the ladies I would say its an even split between cocktail or evening dresses. I personally wear an evening dress cos its the only chance I ever get to wear one!

Shorts t shirts etc are definately fine for daytime - you have to cover up tops wise to eat in the restaurant at lunchtime.

Gill
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.