Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
Hi Danny,

Yes you can use that card to withdraw cash in Turkey; and they don't charge you for it either! :D

There are lots of ATM machines in Oludeniz; you may need to use an ATM that has the CIRRUS sign - but there's plenty about.

Hope you have a great time.

Strawberry
Great stuff

Thanks Strawberrey AGAIN :D
Make sure you take some other card with you, just in case Nationwide withold your card or it gets lost etc.
Hi Danny,

I too have a nationwide card but its a visa. I've used it before in
Turkey but like you I use this card very little, in fact I use it only
abroad as they charge much less than other cards, it's best to
ring them, I always do, before going abroad to tell them the dates
you'll be there, as if you haven't used it in a while & suddenly a
deposit is withdrawn in Turkey they may stop the card.

Happy Hols
good advice roxy... i live here and after 2 weeks they stopped my card!!!! I ask them why and they said it might have been stolen. I said where do you send my statements, they said Turkey..... the penny dropped and they reinstated it.... but like you said , tell them you sre on hols.
thansk all , i will take that advice roxy , cheers
We phoned Nationwide in May when we were going to Croatia, and they said not to bother in future as they now have so many customers using the card abroad they don't bother taking note of it!
We're still going to phone them though, just for peace of mind!
Hi TishTosh

I know this goes off the original thread a bit as we use our card only
once a year if that, but it leaves me a little concerned that Nationwide
would tell you that!

They (so they say) operate a system which automatically monitors
the patterns of transactions on the account, hense if suddenly you go
abroad without informing them of the dates you are abroad the card
could be stopped or they could refuse the transaction pending
verification of certain security information before they authorise
payment.

Maybe if chip & pin is used for purchases in a shop they may allow them
but in Turkey I don't think they have quite caught up with chip & pin yet,
you would have to sign. A lot of unauthorised transactions happen once
you have returned home, so it makes it much simpler to prove it's not
you if they know your hol dates.

I rang them about a separate query in July, I mentioned I was going to
France for only 2 days & they said they needed the dates so the card
wouldn't be stopped if I used it !

Off to Marmaris myself soon, like you say best to tell em! :lol:
Hi Roxy,

You'll find that all banks moniter the spending habits of their customers; it isn't just Nationwide. I went shopping once in London (where I live) and bought quite a lot of items; at home later that day I received a phone call from the bank asking me whether or not I'd made those purchases. I told them I had done, and they said they needed to check as the spending on my card had flagged up as 'unusual'. However, they did not put a stop on my card prior to calling me.

As for the Nationwide Flex card - I have never forewarned them that I am going abroad; and have never had a problem withdrawing money. However, for peace of mind, it's probably a good idea to contact the bank and let them know if you are worried about it.

Incidentally, Turkey does use chip and pin - just the same as the UK does. You'll find the odd place which doesn't - just as you do here.

Strawberry
I have had a FlexAccount card for 15-20 years and used it abroad in many different countries. I have never informed them and it has never been questioned, which can be a bit disconcerting.

However I also have an Asda credit card (as it gives 2p off a litre of petrol) and I used that to purchase 3 lots of car insurance online. I had a call from them next morning to check that I had actually carried out the transactions.

luci :wave
Last year i tried using my cashpoint card, i also have a debit card for the same account but too scared to use it abroad incase it gets "eaten". It wouldn't allow me to withdraw funds. My son text me from home to say the bank had phoned. Turns out as i never use my cashpoint here it had flagged up as unusual on the banks pc's so they were querying it. My son told them we were in Turkey and the next day i could withdraw minimum funds. On my return to the UK i phoned the bank and they said in future could i please advise when i am abroad. I thought it was a pain at the time but with hindsight better safe than sorry.
Well I don't understand it; I never use my Natonwide Flex account card in the UK - only when abroad - and I've never had a problem withdrawing cash from an ATM. :?

And I've withdrawn the maximum daily amount - over several months.

As I said previously, to err on the side of caution, it's a good idea to inform the bank that you will be going abroad. But by rights, one shouldn't really need to go that trouble. The whole point of a cashcard is covenience.

Strawberry
Roxy.... everywhere is chip and pin here. The problem is that sometimes they have to use different swipe machines for different banks!!!
If your transaction doesn't go through and they try again, makes sure you keep the rejection slip.
Mines a visa credit card not a flex card.
Been reading your comments with interest! Going to Marmaris with the family next May and i've been looking at different options for our holiday cash. I'm on the verge of opening a Nationwide Flex Account as this seems to be the ideal solution in terms of security and not being ripped off to change currencies. However, I still have reservations as to how widely available ATM's are in Marmaris, not having been there before ! Also, does anyone know if you are only provided with one card to your account? I'm concerned that, if this is the case, if there was a problem with the card (lost or eaten by a machine )and all my cash was in that account I would be left with no access to it whilst abroad . Hope some of you can put my mind at rest over these issues as it does seem to be an ideal way of keeping money safe on holiday.
Cheers

Glen :glynis
my flex acount cash card doesnt have a chip in it.......
My youngest daughter is in America for 3 months Nationwide stopped her card after 14 days even after being told thats why she was opening the account so tell them where you are going and for how long.sioux
Danny1 my card is the same just a very boring cash point card but abroad it comes very useful in Cirrus marked cash machines :!: :D
A Nationwide Flex Account cashcard does not have a chip in it. My one doesn't anyway.

My debit and credit cards (both VISA) do have chips.

A Nationwide Flex Account cashcard can only be used to withdraw cash from ATM's - you cannot use it to purchase goods in shops etc - Unless you have NF account with the VISA facility.

As I said before, I have never had a problem using mine. But as there seems to be quite a few people who have experienced problems with the card, then it would be wise to speak to the bank before travelling and explain your concerns.

Whatever, it's always advisable to take more than one form of cash/cards with you on holiday, in the event that you do lose a card or your cash.

I always take my debit and credit cards - along with my NF cashcard. I also take some foreign currency, along with sterling.

I suppose if the very worst came to the worst, and you lost all your cards and cash, then you would have to contact someone in the UK to send some money to you out there via Western Union.

Strawberry
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.