Cruises

Discussions relating to Cruising holidays
I am bumping this as it is only 15 weeks away now so any help appreciated especially about wine packages and hints and tips about d.i.y trips etc.
hi liz, we have just returned from a cruise on The Pride of America NCL it was a cruise around the islands of Hawaii
some of the reviews on NCL were not to good so went with open mind,we were surprised ,the ship was really nice
not as big as Voyager of the Seas [loved that ship] the food was OK again not like RCI, dining room meals much better
than the buffet ,the drinks were around the same price as RCI with 15% charges glass of wine around $9 and cocktails
much the same,you could buy a bucket of 5 beer,s with another bottle free.
hope this helps
annx
Thanks very much Ann, I too have been on Voyager Of The Seas and loved it...fab ship.
I am going with an open mind as I have read a few negatives, infact had regrets because I loved RCI so much I don't want to be disappointed..but you can only give things a go I suppose.
We are sailing out of New York and visiting Florida and the Bahamas.
I am glad you have given me an idea of prices of wine as thats my drink. Can you check your onboard account like RCI on the tv sets?
Anything else you can think of would help...and one last thing would you go with NCL again or have you been spoilt by RCI?

Cheers

Liz
Hi Liz after our Hawaii cruise on POA [NCL] we flew to New York and did a 5 night cruise to Canada on
Carnival Glory[another ship we love this being the 2nd time] the sail away from New York was really
special passing all the interesting land marks as we sailed down the Hudson river, we were allowed to
take on board one bottle of wine each for the cabin ,so we sat on the balcony wine in hand and enjoyed
the experience ,it really is a fab place to cruise from.
We have cruised with Carnival, RCI ,Costa , and just the once on NCL it was certainly better than Costa but
not as good as RCI and Carnival,but we all have to find out for ourselves so as you say like we did go with a
open mind. have a great holiday.
Have you tried a cruise on Princess? we are looking to cruise the Panama canal next march and Princess seem,s
the one to go with
annx
there was no account check on the TV
and yes we would book NCL again if it was some where we really wanted to go
Thanks Ann, no I haven't done a Princess Cruise but know a few people who have and they loved it...I certainly would book one.

I am overnight in New York and they sailing Florida and Bahamas then 3 nights at the end in New York so it should be a good holiday.

Thanks for your advice, I don't think we can take any wine on NCL or if we do they charge $15 corkage I have read.

Cheers
Liz
Liz have you been to New York before?if not you will love it,so much to see,
keep some money after your cruise for shopping much cheaper than UK
our 14yr old grandson is into Hollister and Abercrombie & Fitch saved so
much on those.any way :offtop sorry back to the cruise.
yes you can take wine on NCL but have to pay the corkage as you know its $15
but if you like your wine!! then it still cheaper than what they charge in the dining
room,i only had the odd glass with my evening meal on NCL,but on the Carnival cruise
they had a offer on the first night buy 3 bottles with 25% off we like Pinot Grigio the
cost for 3 bottles was $65 + 15% service charge ,a better deal than by the glass. :)
:wave: annx

by the way we did not drink it all in one night :rofl
I have been to New York before but my Husband hasn't so going to do all the sight seeing again :D
I found Florida to be much better value shopping so I am going to shop there as we are 1 day of the Cruise at Port Canaveral so we will be of to the Malls.

I think the drinks prices on board are high compared to RCI but we will not let that stop us having a good time. I find there website is not easy to get info of and to book packages etc.

Thanks for all your advice Liz.
Liz,

Just wondering how you found the cruise, the intinerary and the cruiseline?

We fell in love with NYC when we visited this year and want to return next year, but considering this same cruise sailing out of NYC. Can you let me know your thoughts? We havent cruised before (just myself and 11 year old son) so have nothing to compare it to . . .

Many thanks

Karen
Hi Karen

It is a great Cruise, the Itinerary is really good.. we booked ours through Jet save and had trouble with the Hotel... The Manhattan times Square so avoid that one... we had items stolen and a credit card cloned which we only used there!! It is a lovely ship the Jewel and very clean etc.
I have however cruised with Royal Carribean and have to say in my opinion it is a lot better but then again it is more expensive. We where disappointed with the menu's on NCL as they where the same all the time which pushes you towards paying for speciality Dining which again is not as good as RCI.
However we would Cruise with NCL again but would always price up RCI first, if there was £100 per person in it I would go RCI .. if not NCL.

hope this helps and quiestions I am happy to help :)

Liz
thank you for letting me know . . .

RCI is the one that my son wants to go on (only cos he fancies the flowrider lol) but if we are in NYC am thinking of cruising out of there rather than having to fly somewhere else to then cruise . . .not having done it before its hard to know where to start. But will have a peek at jetsave . . .although we have found some great prices with huge discounts for the cruise, and tend to book flights direct with the airline . . .

Many thanks tho . .

What was the food like? And what sort of things were available . . .and entertainment too? Any good?

TIA Karen x
kAREN

I think TCI do go out of New York, enquire as I am sure it does.

Depending on your Sons age NCL is great especially the Jewel as it has sponge bob and Dora plus others, RCI is much better for 10 years and older In my opinion.
Food wasn't as good as RCI but wasn't bad ( I would and will Cruise with them again).

Entertainment was good, there was some really good acrobatic shows and there is always something on every night elsewhere like Kareoke and relaxing musician type chill out singers.

NCL has a Tappanaki restaurant that is really good but that is a speciality restaurant which is $25 per person (well worth it though).

If you have a really good difference in price try NCL and I am sure you will love it, if there isn't much in it then I would go for RCI either you won't be sorry... just be prepared as you WILL get hooked on Cruising, they are the best holidays EVER!!

lIZ
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.