Spain - Canary Islands - Gran Canaria Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Gran Canaria.
Hello Helen, well the touts are one big pain in the butt wherever you go and I wouldn't let them put you off - no thanks/blank look does the trick for me.
Having been to Gran Canaria for the 1st time this year we found it far better than Tenerife,in terms of clenliness / friendliness and better resorts.
This time of year seems to be better weather wise in GC also, but you will find the resorts much quieter (same as Tenerife) let me know what you want from your holiday and maybe I could give you some idea of what to go for.
Spike.
Hi Spike
Thanks for your reply.I think our main problem with the scratchcard touts was that they were out in force near the entrance to our apts so we had them everyday pestering even though we had said a firm but polite no thanks sometimes only half an hour earlier! The english ones were the worst. Anyway, regarding what sort of holiday we want,we usually book diy it generally saves money in Tenerife.Can you give me an idea of how the bar and restaurants compare , for example we were eating really nice fillet steak for 9-12 euros and the local beer was 1 euro a pint. Could we expect similar prices?
Cheers Helen
we got back yesterday from our 2nd visit this year and the only time we ever saw any looky looky men was in Puerto Rico and the police moved them on eventually. The place was snided with them....
I would say the restaurant prices are on the same scale - all the resorts seem to have a 'center' which is basically a block of bars and restaurants, you either like that or you don't - wouldn't be my choice but I still enjoyed it and we are booking for next year. Have a look at Peurto Rico for example, all the hotels are set on the hill sides of a valley with one center at the top and another one at the bottom, both ok and one busier than the other, as you work your way down to the marina there are more restaurants scattered around which are still on the same par price wise as the centers.
Beer prices - didn't think these were anymore than Tenerife. Lots of bars to choose from which all seem to have some sort of offer on. If you then have a look at Mogan, this is a totally different resort which has that 'up-market' feel to it - very quaint and pretty, nice restaurants / bars and not over priced, and not full of 'bang yer head disco bars'.
Loads to choose from so it's up to you...
Hi Helen,
I can't recommend Puerto Mogan In Gran Canaria highly enough. There are no touts and the whole atmosphere is so unlike normal Canary hassle. Why are they letting these people ruin such beautiful islands? :?

We took a boat trip into Puerto Rico and couldn't get back to Puerto Mogan quick enough as the pavements are full of Cockney 'wide-boys' doing the boring old time-share thing.
Even at the reps meeting (when you are expecting info about the hotel and resort) we got the 'official' rep there offering us a day out to Anfi - I dont want to buy anything so why hassle me for the 1st 3 days ?...berk !
Then it was every other day Anfi Anfi Anfi - NO NO NO THANK YOU.
We did the coastal walk from Amadores to P Rico (very nice) and there they were at the quay side other end :yikes so brother in law starts yabbing to them in German - never approached again down that end !!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.