Help And Assistance

Need help and advice on using this forum? Post your queries in here.
i haven't posted much since it changed...but once you get used to it...it does look better..x
Just to give you all an idea of how the upgrade was implemented.

We started off discussing this back in October 2006. We were looking into upgrading the phpBB2 software and first of all had to make a choice on which software to use. The software running the forums now was still in its infancy but we quickly recognised the benefits to both the members and the Admin/Mod team of the new facilities it offered.

Add to this the seemless upgrade option from phpBB2 to phpBB3 and the choice was made to use the current software to run the new look forums.

We then installed one of the beta versions and started testing it for functionality. Satisfied that it met our needs the painful process started in trying to amend the code to add functionality.

The recoding of the software started in earnest with the release of the first so called Release Candidates. A lot of trial and error and computers almost flying out of windows resulted in added functionality to both members and the Admin/Mod team.

We still wanted the "Holidaytruths look" to remain, so the design and coding of the pages rendering the forums started. The idea of the newly introduced banner at the top when viewing forums was born.

Next step was the integration of the chat-rooms into the package and adding an additional page showing all available holiday tools for our members.

Additional security measures were next on the agenda. We implemented coding to stop spam bots registering and certain users being unable to post links in posts.

The software was finallly released by phpBB in the beginning of December and we then started planning the physical upgrade process.

We installed the software on a local computer and did a trial run to ensure everything worked. More computers almost ended up in the graveyard, but at the end we were confident enough to proceed and set a date it would happen.

All the rest is history :wink:

Mark :D
And you have Mark to thank for this as he has been working on it constantly for 14 months and still is as is Van.

luci :wave
Wow, well all that work has certainly paid off in my humble opinion. As I have said, the entire experience on HT now is so much more user friendly.

Thank you for providing that insight Mark. It is much appreciated.

Gary
I love it as well. :D

Thanks so much for the information Mark, it's amazing what we take for granted really.

A 14 month commitment to something like this shows your loyalty to the forum big time. I'm not sure how many people would be prepared to give up their time so freely these days.

Doe
I think it is excellent as well. Many thanks to all concerned.
Just want to add my thanks to Mark and Van, although the colours are the same it seems much clearer and brighter and easier to read.

Here is what I know of coding <br> thats it :lol: so for you guys to get the board so good it must have taken so much work and I am thankfull for you giving your time, support and dedication for us for free :kiss
:whoops <br> is the old way of doing it, should really be <br /> as per the new coding standards :whoops
Mark :D
:rofl see I didn't even know that :lol: I shall have to change my coding site I use for help :lol:
Can I just say the saying-

''Here Here'' :rofl

New Layout Its great thanks to all the people behinde the scenes.

Love HT met some really lovly people... and one who im very close too when we met up..
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.