Help And Assistance

Need help and advice on using this forum? Post your queries in here.
This is due to the software now being able to remember which posts you have not read once you log out.

To rectify this, click on "mark all forums read" in the top right hand corner of the screen when viewing the main index (it's just below the current date and time) prior to logging out and all topics will be marked read.

Mark :D
when you have finished checking a forum, go to the top right of the forum page and click "mark forum read". That will clear everything for you. :D
Thanks, Mark and Fiona. Simple when you know how!! :oops:
no need to be embarrassed. Its a learning curve for all of us. :D
I have an interest in various forums and now use the facility called "View new posts" on the top right of the screen. However.....the threads "Welcome to the XYZ forum" always appear and dilute the new threads and posts.

How do I stop them appearing as its really annoying!

:bawl
Hi Spinner,

These posts are used for "markers" so that we as a team of Mods/Admin know that a forum has been read.

We can look into the coding to make these markers appear to Mods/Admin only.

Thanks for that Mark.

I can see the benefit for the mods and admi but as I said they just dilute the "new posts" screen! I would ( and hopefully others) appreciate it if they could be removed.

Iain
Two pages of New Posts to look at but most of them are "Welcome to Holidaytruths" XYZ Forum!

Can something be done to remove these annoying posts coming up everytime I want to view new posts only?
If you go to the top right of the screen and click on view new posts you can do a quick scan to see if there is anything that is of interest to you. If its just 'welcome to HT' you know not to bother with that forum. These posts have always been on HT and are not new.

The forum isn't just for regulars it's for new members and the welcome post tells them how the forum works and welcomes them.
Hi folks :wave
These topics assist the mods and admins greatly....However, we are aware of the issue of them affecting members looking for new posts....

Suffice it to say we are looking at this issue....bear with us please.

Van :wave
Just a quick update:

Recoding the forum software on our testing-platform we have managed to make the "Welcome to Holidaytruths" message markers disappear for members when viewing the forum using viewforum.php.

The problem now lies that it still shows on the index page.

This now means delving deeper into the 10th of thousand lines of code to get a final solution on the table.

So, as Van has stated, please bear with us.

Thanks for hanging in there folks....

With huge thanks to Mr Mark (Once again) we have managed to overcome the problem and you will no longer see the marker topics.

HTH

Van
Oh the joys of coding...We've just found one more issue that needs resolving before we can say this is complete...this relates to the View New Posts link....

Van
Thought the mark forums read thing wasn't working for me :( but I must have clicked it in a forum rather than the main index :? Seems OK now but hope your efforts to make it auto are successful 8)
Nick,

We're not looking into removing or recoding the software so that all topics are "read" when you log off.

The software is now designed that you don't loose the markers when logging off.

We're looking into the "Welcome to Holidaytruths..." marker posts to not show for members.

Vanlaywan wrote:
Oh the joys of coding...We've just found one more issue that needs resolving before we can say this is complete...this relates to the View New Posts link....

Van

Having looked at this with a fresh pair or eyes, I managed to recode the software to resolve this issue.

As soon as Van has uploaded the new coding to the server, members will now not see the "welcome to holidaytruths" markers on the forums and search results, hopefully therefore making the reading experience here on Holidaytruths even better.

done...

These moderator topics will no longer show to members.

HTH

Van :wave
A bug has been found in the coding which affects members...we are working to rectify this.

Van
Unfortunately we can't rectify the bug at this moment in time.

For that reason, as soon as Van gets online, we will need to revert back to how it was, e.g. the Moderator Marker topics will have to remain visible for all to see.

We appreciate that this may cause inconvenience to our users, but until such time we have found a solution there is not a lot we can do.

MarkJ HT Mod
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.