Holiday Complaints

Do you have a holiday complaint? For help and advice post in here.
new tax
23 Posts
How about asking Airtours?

Looks as if other companies are paying the tax themselves and not passing it on to their clients.

Peter
Was it a package holiday or a flight only booking?

I think if it's a package then most tour operators are bearing the cost.

If it's flight only and booked prior to the green tax being introduced then the customer is having to pay either prior to travel or sometimes at the airport.
Could they have covered themselves in their surcharges part of the following?:-

http://www.mytravel.com/AniteNextPage.asp?p=EXTRAINFO_37245
I think it depends on the individual company...

I have got a Flight Only booking for July, this was booked last year and I am not being charged the extra Tax...the company is absorbing this extra tax on all bookings made Prior to the anouncement...where as others are!!

Katy xx
I have flights only booked for August and as yet I haven't heard anything to say that I have to pay this fee; but I did read that some airlines are going to just ask you to pay on arrival at the airport when you try to board your flight. I hope this isn't the case because its £20per person on a long haul flight so I'm going to have to fork out an extra £80 if that is the case.
We have a topic about Air Passenger Duty in our Airlines & Airports forum ... please click here.

Discussion applies mainly to airlines rather than tour operators, but you may find some useful info.

David :wave
We booked a package holiday last year with Airtours for this summer and haven't heard anything re; extra tax - yet! Hopefully not tempting fate.
Carrie
hope not have booked a holiday for september this year with aspro
aint heard anything yet
hi all 8) we booked flight only with virgin atlantic last september. within days of this coming into force we recieved an email asking us to pay the extra, which comes to £100. if you do it on line before you fly, they will deduct this off your next booking with them, but there are terms and conditions attached. we are annoyed but what can you do? i think it would have been fairer to charge it to new bookings not ones made before it came into force. anyway, we will pay on line before we go to avoid hassle at the airport but it would have been nicer to have spent this money on holiday! :wink:
i think it would have been fairer to charge it to new bookings not ones made before it came into force.

You cannot blame the TOs or Airlines for this one. The government have im posed the charges.

There has been a great deal of discussion elsewhere on HT about this. In some cases the charges have been absorbed and in others applied.

We booked two holidays last October for this year. Have paid in full for one and deposit only on the second. In neither case have we been asked for more money.

fwh
If you wish to complain about this tax here are the details:-

E-mail - ministers@hm-treasury.gsi.gov.uk or you may wish to write to the Chancellor personally:

Rt Hon Gordon Brown MP
Chancellor of the Exchequer
HM Treasury
1 Horse Guards Road
LONDON
SW1A 2HQ

Fax - 020 7270 4580
Tel - 020 7270 4558
We booked flights only last year with Monarch & Jet2 & we have had to pay the extra tax. They are saying they will inform you by email for payment depending on when you are flying, ie: if you are flying later in the year you should be informed approx 1 month before your departure date. I should imagine there will be information regarding this on each airlines websites. Only thing that as annoyed me is that if you pay online by credit/debit card some airlines are charging you the transaction fee which I think is wrong, they should waive this.Otherwise you will have to queue at the airlines desk at the airport before you can check in to pay this tax in cash to avoid this transaction fee. Cheers Jayjan
Tour Operators are actually in the process of taking the government to court to prove they have been levied illegally. Never before have taxes been levied on people that have already paid for their goods. (I know you bought this oven 1 year ago, but VAT's gone up, so we have to collect an extra £10 off you etc etc).

And Tour Operators are the poor suckers who have to collect the money while suffering clients venting their anger... :roll:

Anyway, back to the question. I believe that Tour Operators have to absorb the first 2% of any price rise. Have you checked that?
We booked our flights with Thomsonfly paid the extra tax when asked and have received no confirmation that we have paid! We rang and got impression thay are in a total muddle. So I am waiting impatiently for tickets to arrive (as we go Air Europa not ticketless) to make sure everythingis OK as every timre we ring or email we get cionflicting info. Expect better from Thomson!!!! CBG
The tax is compulsory.

AVRO is charging existing bookings, Thomas Cook is levying new customers so they can supplement existing bookings, MyTravel is only charging above and beyond the 2% it has to cover which normally works out at under £3 per passenger.

It is a government stealth tax which is unavoidable, without them passing the charge on, roughly £3.5mil will be wiped off their bottom line, £4mil in the case of Thomas Cook.

Spies
We booked through My Travel; due to go to America in August and this morning I received an amended invoice from them to say due to the ATD tax we were having to pay £80 but due to the small print in their brochures they are going to suffer the brunt of the impact of 2% so we got a discount of just under £58 leaving us £22 to pay. However they added on £4 admin fee (£1 per person) they say the admin fee is just a way of recovering their costs.

I could go mad at having to pay an admin fee but on the other hand what should have cost us £80 has actually only cost us £22 so I can't complain really.
The £1pp Admin Fee is to cover the cost of re-invoicing bookings and the time consummation of recalculation the cost of the bookings. The £1pp Admin Fee is Sanctioned by ABTA.

Spies
It seems that the My Travel group (Airtours, Direct holidays etc) will be passing as much off the cost on to their customers as possible :cry:

Just received notification yesterday and the cost for 2 of us has gone up by £35.

Whether it is sanctioned by the tour operators friend ABTA or not, adding an admin charge to the change is just a money grabbing exercise :no
I am going with direct holidays and paid my balance last week i was not asked to pay any more for the extra tax. I booked this holiday last year.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.