Cruises

Discussions relating to Cruising holidays
We did one of those many years ago to Santander and enjoyed it. We've also done the Norway ones a few times too from Hull and always had a good time. We still take 3 and 4 day cruises now we're living in Cyprus as we're only 10 minutes drive from Limassol Port.

The one thing we like about the mini-cruises is your holiday starts the moment you step aboard. No hanging around an airport terminal for 2 hours before you get on the plane, then a few hours flight in front of you, a transfer - before eventually, you reach your destination.

On board ship, you can have unpacked, got your bearings, had a few drinks and a meal in one of the restaurants by that time :cheers

The outbound cruise was a breeze to Santander although we didn't get too much time off ship before we had to return for departure. The crossing back through the Bay of Biscay was definitely one to remember. A bit like driving over cobbled streets for a couple of hours!

One small tip: we've always found the air-conditioning is turned up to full notch on board ships, no matter where you are and sometimes public rooms and even the cabins can feel a little on the chilly side so take something warm - just in case. As for what to wear, the weather won't be much different from UK at that time of year. Just dress in layers so if you're lucky and find a nice sheltered spot, you may get down to a t-shirt!

Winter holidays are always the hardest to plan a wardrobe. You have to plan for every season...

Most of all - ENJOY!

Shell
Limassol, Cyprus
Thank you

We are really looking forward to is, we have done one cruise before last year from LA for a week downthe mexican riveria and you are right the air conditioning did make on board ship quite cool even in the mexican heat!!!!

We do have a bit of travelling to do first as we live on the Isle of Man so have to fly from the IOM to portsmouth but it only takes just over an hour and then a quick taxi drive the the port.

Polly ;)
one other thing to remember is the route.

Having done this years ago on the old P&O ships, the crossing can get a little active.

It's usually fine, but it's something worth bearing in mind. The old P&O ships were actual ferries so they struggled a little.
Shell is right and also very lucky to be in Cyprus.

Louis Cruise lines has offices there and frequently run short term cruises, on some lovely older ships.

My family have done the short hop down to Egypt from here, along with the Holy land and of course some island hopping.

I think Pulmantours also operate out of there but never tried them

I am sure you will have a great time, i am envious, this time last year I was about to fly to Cuba for a 14 day cruise :(
Take care, have fun, and take lots of piccies
Well cruise was ok, the entertainment was a bit samey and dare I say it a bit holiday camp style, could have been more to do in the day than bingo and the odd quiz and err of course drinking (but you get fed up with that after a while), Sandtander was good, enjoyed that, the crossing at Bay of Biscay was an experience especially after a heavy night on new years eve, all in all enjoyed it but would not do it again.

polly
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.