America/Canada Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in America and Canada
To be fair I don't think everything is expensive! We found a pizza place we really liked - it was fast food, but good. Famiglia I think it was called. Only about $5 for a pizza slice and a coke - good for lunch! And there's deli's too! Of course there are expensive places, but we didn't find it too bad.

For shopping, we went to Macy's. We tried Bloomingdale's but too expensive. Only other place we shopped was just in the smaller shops, but didn't buy much. We were on our way to Vegas!

There are outlets, so maybe you should take a trip out there!
I find NYC very cheap. If you like designer labels, many are much much cheaper than the UK.

Take a look at Macys and Bloomingdales websites etc to get an idea.

Examples being Lacoste Polos's £55 in the uk - $72 in NY [thats about £36!!!]
Victorinox clothing much cheaper, some things being half the price of Uk prices.
7 for All Mankind jeans about 1/2 UK price.
Sports stores can be good value for Adidas trainers etc.

Food we found excellent value, from the simple food court at the top of the South Street Seaport plaza to meals at the likes of Carmines.
Nearly forgot - Defintely worth mentioning as a guide

Timberland boots
UK - £129
US - $120 [£61] ;)
Thanks alot for your prices and information, my mum is 61 and i forget this as she looks so young. my brother came around yesterday and i mentioned that mum thought it was dear, he laughed and said, well you know what mums like, a snickers bar is expensive unless you cut it in half :) he said yes some stuff can be dear, but as mentioned above, prices are half out there, than they are in the UK.

So panic over :)

Just got my tkts through today, i cant wait...... :tup

Michelle x
Sorry, reguards shopping, can you buy NYC t.shirts saying i love new york?
I didnt find it very cheap. Clothes, aftershaves, perfumes etc were very similar prices to the UK, especially in the main department stores. I found better bargains away from the shopping districts, in smaller independent shops along the streets. But I didnt buy as much as I had hoped to buy when I went in Dec, mainly because I may as well of bought the items in the UK. Agree though that Timberland boots very cheap out there. I also bought an IPod which was £80, so I saved £20 on UK Prices. The airport duty free shop was quite good though. Saying that prices are half out there to what they are in the UK simply isnt true I am afraid.

As for food, it depends where you go to eat. Go to a big restaurant, or one like TGI Fridays etc. then yes pay through the nose. Go to a small NY cafe for example and pay much less. For breakfast, we went to a small bakery just down from Empire State. It was packed with New Yorkers. We had a fresh begal with 2 eggs and bacon inside, a fresh ommlette with fried chopped potatoes and veg, a tea and coffee for $11. My advice would be stay away from the big chains and look for the smaller places to eat, which are busy with people who dont look like tourists!!!
As ive mentioned, it depends what you are looking for. If into designer clothes, you'll have a great time [with most labels anyway]. Timberlands, Levi jeans and other "American" brands will be cheaper than the UK.

If you're buying Ben Sherman clothing for instance, I would imagine there's not much difference as its a UK brand etc.

If your wife/ girlfriend likes Clinique products, they are defintely half the price than the UK.

It really goes without saying you can pay high prices in good restaurants, but you goto New York to sample a great Steakhouse and in reality should maybe expect its where the locals who have money probably goto.

If you want cheap, head to local pizza bars, food courts [and I do recommend a 1/4 day at the South Street Seaport] or burger diners.
Thank you all for the replies, we are not totally sure what we are hoping to buy, mainly a digital camera ( if the price is right and compatible on the UK warranty), a winter coat, jeans and sweaters, boring stuff really. Also maybe some bikinis for Egypt, and a NYC t shirt for my daughter, oh and a Macy's brown bag(dont ask, Daughter wants on lol)

The main thing for me is the sites and attractions, and seeing a musical of some sort.

Virgin rep from NYC has telephoned me up twice and sent me loads of info via email, i have been with virgin for years, and never experienced a personal phone call from the USA before, touting for business i'm sure :yikes

Michelle x

Ps... anyone see 'wish you were here' this week on new york, can anyone tell me where you can buy that expensive burger for about $50, it looked gorgeouus.
You can also try shopping here- http://www.southstreetseaport.com/html/
If you're shopping in Manhattan it's more expensive than out in the other boroughs.
Digital camera- go to B&H Photo on Ninth Ave between 33rd and 34th St- (closed Friday afternoon thru Sat ) for good selection with expertise, or for discount places try Best Buy or Circuit City if there is one around.
You're welcome. B&H photo have a website too. http://www.BHPhotovideo.com you can compare prices and selection.
Hi Michelle,

You can buy those I love NYC t-shirts in the official New York shops - they sell mugs, fridge magnets, t-shirts, calendars etc and you'll see a fewe about on your travels.

As mentioned prices do depend on what you are shopping for. I think your budget will be fine. I found Clinique and Estee Lauder a lot cheaper than the UK BUT don't forget to add sales tax to the price (can't remember how much it is). I only bought clothes in one shop ( J Crew) - hubby got 2 pairs of trousers, 2 pairs of shorts, 4 t-shirts, 2 shirts and a jacket whilst I got a pair of trousers, a dress and a skirt and the bill came to around £300 which I thought was pretty good considering all the stuff we got.

Food I found reasonable. Eating at a deli can be good value, we got a huge lunch - sandwiches which are massive over there (only made that mistake once!), fries and drinks - for £20, brunches (I'd recommend Landmarc at the Time Warner building in Columbus Circle) are great. We had a 3 course meal with wine at Garage restaurant for around £50. My main advice would be to avoid eating around the really touristy places - look for something where you see locals. Ask your receptionist - we were SC and as we'd had a big lunch, just wanted a snack before our broadway show and he recommended a local deli that did takeaway and it was really tasty and incredibly cheap.
Alcohol is expensive though. We had 4 rounds of beer (4 pints, 4 halves) in Heartland Brewery and it cost us £30. My berry champagne ale was very nice though!

Hope that helps.
Thanks puddleduck for the information, and everyone else that has contributed to my questions. I am really looking forward to going, the only thing i am abit apprehensive is the hotel, i didnt really want to go in any of what Virgin had to offer, but as someone told me, you only really change and sleep there, so i should stop stressing out about it :cry
I am shattered by thinking of all the walking i am going to do :really but excited at the same time.

Thanks again

Michellex
Thirty thirty hotel, it has horrendous reviews on TA, although some are mixed, i got put off by having homeless in there, but it is for our anniversary(20th), the other choice we had was the comfort inn, which seemed better. The virgin rep that has rang me twice said she has been in that hotel and said yes rooms small, but perfectly comfortable. I am not a snob, but i dont want flee bites and cats and dogs running around if i am to believe these reports. The rep also told us that we can upgrade to a bigger room, to do that it isnt cheap!

Michelle x
Don't get too upset about some of the reviews on TA though- sometimes have to take with several pinches of salt....
Have a look at Fodor's and also Frommers- professional travel guides... just put Thirty Thirty Hotel in their search box and see what comes up.
Homeless? what's that about?
Has to be clean and wholesome no matter how low budget, for me.
Anyone wishing to add a review for this hotel may do so HERE :tup

Pippy :)
I saw the Wish you were here programme the other day Derwentrocker but you were mistaken with the price of the expensive burger. It was $120 not 50. Mark Durden Smith said it worked out about £60.
Well thats put a dampner on my $50 burger if it was £60 :yikes, it did look scummy though :tongue
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.