America/Canada Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in America and Canada
New York
8 Posts
Top of the Rock rockerfella Centre my view a lot better than the empire state, and usually a lot less queues.
Grand Centre Station worth a quick look if you can
Stroll Round Central Park
hopefully ellis island and statue of liberty be open next week
been a few years since ive been I was very uneasy at ground zero didn't feel happy,looks like improved a lot now but at the time I wasn't very happy being there.

all very tourist things.....but I assume that's why you are going.
Hi Phil,

An obvious one from my, but the USS Intrepid is a great morning or afternoon out and the Space Shuttle exhibit is open now so well worth a look. There's plenty of hop on, hop off tour busses to et you around the city and see all the main things, 9/11 Memorial is well worth a visit but you'll need to get a ticket (free) before you go and book a slot. Broadway shows are always good if you like a bit of theatre. Central park is massive and worth a stroll around then there's 5th Avenue, you can't go wrong shopping wise!

Darren
If you want a tour of New York, try Gray Line tours - there are various HOHO routes.
I've just got back, and done the usual touristy things :-

Empire State Building (at night - superb views). Didn't have a ticket, and took around half and hour to queue and go though security.

Top of the Rock (day time - you can see Central Park and Empire State Building). Much more relaxed than the Empire State Building and you can sit around up there for as long as you wish. Didn't have a ticket, and only took 10 minutes in queue.

3 hour river cruise with Circle Line Cruises. A lovely close up of the Statue of Liberty and the manhattan skyline.

A rickshaw in Central Park. $90 for an hour, but my mum has walking difficulties so it was our only option. If you are able, hire a bicycle and go on the weekend where no traffic is allowed through the park.

Staten Island ferry. Free of charge and and you get a pretty good view of the Statue of Liberty.

9/11 memorial. Very moving and should be seen. You can't imagine the sheer panic and devastation that day caused. I booked tickets (although free) online before I went, but you can queue on the day.

Times Square - just walk around at your leisure

Went into Macy's, although didnt make a purchase!

Lots of places to eat, especially if you like burgers, steaks, pizzas, etc

Metro pretty easy to use as is the bus. You can't pay cash on bus (or train) so get a ticket before you travel. $30 gets you unlimited travel on subway and bus for 7 days. I am sure this doesn't include the Long Island Rail Road (LIRR) which we got to and from air train to airport. Was easier for us with mum and her walking trolley.

I saw mamma Mia at Winter Gardens Theatre. I bought my ticket online for $90 so I didn't miss out. The person next to me paid $75 on the day. Just giving you an example of a bit of money that could be saved on tickets, but I wanted to make sure I saw the show and really wanted to go on the Sunday night.

We took a train to Washington, D.C. for the day and that was great.

I felt very safe in NYC and didnt once feel threatened or intimidated. We had a wonderful time.

Sorry if I have waffled! Feel free to ask anything and I will be only too pleased to help. Have fun!
Thank Jenny for your report and information. Sounds like you had a really good time :tup
Sorry for my late reply!

Seems the seasonal bugs started early this year! At least they are out of the way and ready for my trip :)
Thanks for all your input guys, will certainly help when we do some planning this week. :) Jenny sounds like you had an awesome time, hopefully my trip will be just as good :)
Cheers, Phil
Thanks for your help guys, got back last night had an amazing time!

I will get a hotel review up shortly, but just wanted to say that your thoughts were very helpful :)
Thanks again!

Phil
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.