America/Canada Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in America and Canada
I've used this company. You can either request their brochure and book over the phone or do the whole thing online.
http://www.unitedvacations.co.uk/
have also used,united vacations last year,when we flew to hawaii & then to florida.if you fly,with them,they give you 2 free stopovers,which i thought was great,but couldn't take advantage of,due to work.so if you flew to las vegas,new york,would be a free stopover,if time allows,i would also visit san francisco.
they also came in at £2000 cheaper than virgin.virgin,was our 1st quote & i nearly gave up,as i thought it,would be out of our price range,could not believe the difference,in price.the flight from manchester to heathrow,was free as well.
definately worth a look.
you will love vegas!!!!
tracy
Liana

Do you feel brave enough to create your own diy? i.e. organise your own flights / hotels?

You'll be surprised how easy it is.
Thanks for your help, the trouble is i dont want to drive over there, I was wondering is there any organised tours that take you to different places by bus, however i know america is a very big place so alot of time would be spent on a bus. Is it really dear to fly to the different states?
no it's really quite cheap. My uncle has a holiday home in Naples and he got tickets from Florida to New York for under $100
If you are ever going to book a DIY holiday, America is the place to do it to. The choice of hotels in Endless.

I have been to both NY & Vegas but not in the same trip. You dont really need a car in either place because there is so much to do.

In NY you can use taxis or the subway to get about or better still walk.

In Vegas everything is within walking distance and private trips to both the hoover dam and Grand Canyon can be arranged. The bus trip to the Grand Canyon is very long about 5 hours each way but we did the Helicopter trip with lets you down in the Canyon and really was an experience of a lifetime.
Sorry forgot to add that if you book all your flights with the one company you will get the best price.

We are doing Orlando in December with 3 nights in NY on the way. We are only paying about £330 each for the flights.
Liana

I did this exact same holiday 2 years ago. I booked flights with American Airlines, flying from Heathrow to JFK, 5 nights in New York, then flew from La Guardia to Vegas via Chicago, staying 4 nights in Vegas. The flight back was via Dallas, where we could have had a free stopover then back to Gatwick. Use an American airline and they will give you a free stopover each way. The flights cost around £380 for the entire round trip. One thing that I appreciated about American - book online and you can choose your seat numbers for every flight in advance. What's more those are the exact seats you get! Our flight tickets had the seat numbers on them. The American check in staff were charming in every location and where our baggage was checked through to a final destination with a flight change (as in Dallas) we didn't have to handle it until it came off the baggage carousel in Gatwick.

It's very easy to book hotels in New York and Vegas, we stayed in the Roosevelt on 45th & Madison in NY and the MGM Grand in Vegas. Didn't even dream of hiring a car, as cabs and public transport made them unnecessary.

Give it a go, you won't regret it.

John
For flights, get in touch with the Flight Centre - http://www.flightcentre.co.uk/

They are very good when you want to fly to more than one destination in the same holiday.

For hotels, it would be far cheaper to book them yourself. It's not as daunting as you think. Try these sites and just search on Las Vegas (strip) hotels and New York City hotels. You can also try the hotels own website once you have an idea of which one you may want to stay in.
http://www.hotels.com
http://www.lodging.com

Finally, check out the reviews of hotels you are looking at, either on this wonderful site :D or on http://tripadvisor.com
Just type in the hotel name you want to check out, select it from the list and hey presto, you can see what fellow travellers thought of the hotel.

Lastly, if you find a hotel you like in either NY or Vegas, post it here and we'll help, I'm sure there will have been several of us that have stayed there before! I've been to Vegas 8 times and NY 3 times now so have a bit of experience :wink: :P

Cheers

TC
Good place to stay in Las Vegas http://www.carriagehouselasvegas.com
Going in Sept our 4th time,turn down street at the side of the
ALADDIN on the right hand side you will see The Carriage House
they have studio,s and 1and 2 bedrooms all with kitchen,s its also
a Time share resort so of a high standard,check out the web site
for tarrif
Ann
We've used Unitedvacations to good effect too but they can be pricey overall as you now have to stay a minimum two nights in one of their chosen hotels to qualify (you used to be able to book flight only). One advantage of flying United, however, is they also offer free UK transfers if you use a StarAlliance partner (BMI for us).

Last year, we flew into San Francisco, stayed two nights before moving onto Vegas, then onto New York, via San Fran using the MGM as the obligatory 2 night stay. We booked Holiday Inn Fisherman's Wharf (SF), The Orleans (Vegas) - moved into MGM from there to 'qualify'- then Crowne Plaza TimeSquare (NY) ourselves online ,having established they were best situated and priced, for us, using http://www.expedia.com as our base research site.

HTH's

Howard :-)
Don't forget to check the reviews HERE :wink:

Pippy :D
Hi, you might also consider using TrailFinders company as they can tailor make hols for you....I did DIY our Las Vegas/Arizona/California drive round hol last year and it was very easy, just use the review sites for help with booking decent hotels. I was going to DIY our next America trip when I emailed Trailfinders out of curiousity and they came back with a quote which was £300 cheaper than my diy, needless to say I was very impressed and booked with them....my understanding is they have certain tie ins with companies such as Virgin Atlantic (who we like to fly with) and hotels so can get you realy good deals. Good Luck! :)
Tinka14
Thank you everyone for all your advice ive got loads to look through i will get back to you and let you know what deals ive found. Thank you once again :D
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.