Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Yes, been there. Think there was a thread on this. I got a refund in Goa though.

They always ship to Tilbury even though they said Scotland!

Took 6 months to get money back for Terminal 'handling' at Mumbai and for delivery to Edinburgh. This was through Acron in Candolim, picked up RS as they couldn't send money out. A long story.... won't be buying more than CDs this time!
Big Neil,

So it is possible for me to get some of this money back then? because we were led to believe that the delivery was already paid in our initial payment in Candolim.
We also won't buy any more furniture in Goa.

We had a big cabinet made for our home entertainment system and dvds. We were given a price which we paid at the time we placed the order, but during the months it took to make it, we kept receiving emails asking us for more money to cover extra shipping costs. We paid as requested, but when it arrived in the U.K. we had to pay even more customs charges. We paid because we had already a lot out on the cabinet and it would have been cutting off our nose to spite our face if we told them that we were not going to pay and therefore not have it after all.

We didn't realise we could ask the people who made the cabinet for us for a partial refund on the extra costs. When we returned to Goa the next season we gave the shop in Calangute a wide berth.
Hi Fiona can you do me a big favour and find the thread that Big Neil mentioned, I have searched and searched, I know that you are an ace at finding things. :tup

PS I have also lost my favorite bikini, do you think you can find that also :rofl
Gayle
Fiona thanks very much, I really dont know how you do it. You are majic.

Gayle
haven't managed to find the bikini though :rofl
T, glad you found the post. If you bought your furniture from a reputable dealer you should be able to get any 'holding' costs at Mumbai refunded also any costs shipping to your door from port, ONLY if they specified a port other than Tilbury.

I had to scan all documentation and email it to the seller. We did check specifically where they could deliver to and they had said Edinburgh (many times).

I actually had to find a map of UK and draw on it where Edinburgh was when trying for a refund, this was not understood in Goa. I must add you will have to be VERY pushy to get any action. As mentioned, had to collect refund in person and even then I thought the payment was not going to be honoured.

I may add the furniture was beautiful but.... would we make another purchase from Goa?.... NO.

Hope you get some money back.
Thanks Big Neil

The furniture was sopossed to be delivered to Cardiff Swansea or Newport, that is what is on the original documents, I have fees to pay from Mumbai, also the delivery charges, which I was told was included.

I am going to sort out all these documents, and have a go at getting something back, we always buy from the same dealer and |I have never had to pay this before.

I havent even seen the furniture yet, because it was made to our own design. It had better be good, cause I will have to be hiding bank statements from hubby for a while.

Gayle
You should be claiming back for the delivery from Tilbury to the port on docs'. As mentioned provide a map as you will have to make very clear what has happened. It would also appear that there are problems (so I'm told) sending money to UK, luckily enough I was going to be in Goa so I collected cash.

I spoke to an importer of Indian arts/crafts recently and what you have described is very common.

Just put your foot down AND be prepared to wait.
Thanks Neil,

I will be back in Goa in 6 weeks, so I will be calling at his shop every day, I get on well with the owners, maybe this will be a testing time.

Gayle
Not the same but when I ordered something on the internet from the USA I was charged import duty plus VAT on the total cost including the postage charge. I thought the latter was not fair as not all the delivery cost is incurred in GB !
Same thing happened to me, and I bought from Candolim. Luckily I hadn't paid the full amount and because of loads of extra charges here plus the fact that it was supposed to go to Birmingham (dry port) and actually went down south somewhere I never paid the balance. I was told the price was all in.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.