Algarve/Portugal/Madeira/Azores Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Algarve
Ooohh kaz,

I think a large hungry lion in the kitchen of the apartment when you arrive would ruin your holiday more than a whif of cigarette smoke :lol:

Much as we need the tourists here, I think you might be better sticking to Florida in all honesty. If you arrive with a negative attitude you will never enjoy it kaz.

Please don't think I am having a pop at you (well okay, a slight nudge in the ribs about the smelly apartment) but I think the Algarve may not be what you are looking for.

All the best whatever you decide!

Perry
Aah but you see as a non smoker its not a whiff, its gets into all the furnishings, curtains, bedding etc

Its just when I see smoking allowed, I find that off putting. We had a seaside break one year in the UK, I arrived to find a cigarette butt in the sink and ashtray emptied at the front door. The place reeked and despite several bottles of febreeze is still smelt every time you opened the door.
(Did I mention that I was an ex-smoker!! ex-smoker three times) I was a 30 a day person but living in the US I was perfectly happy to abide by no smoking rules.

Having said that, I imagine that the majority of apartments and villas will be fine despite people having the odd puff, due to the fact that they have freezing cold tiles instead of carpet. :shock:

Only joking, I have ceramic tiles and will eventually have them in all our bathrooms, can't abide carpet in bathrooms. Expecially when you still have one that misses occasionally!

The biggest problem for me is really trying to decide where to go, whether its an apartment or a villa, whilst trying to keep it in budget. The cost is a big factor, its not affording it but just trying to avoid comparing prices to the villas in the US. I am also looking for a complex similar to say Lykia World in Turkey. ie lovely swimming pools. Not sure whether they actually exist though.

So I will keep trawling. Looking into Lagos now, having read the resort reports it sounds lovely.
Our apartment is none smoking, but sadly we only let to friends and family. Again sadly many Portuguese smoke, but you have to pick and choose your places. Me and my wife hate smoke and smokey places with a passion, but we adapt. As AA says good luck, btw he knows what hes talking about, apart from when it comes to football. :)
Kaz although we dont encourage smoking in our house (Signs in house saying please smoke outdoors), when we rent it to guests, , if they have any decency then they will have the courtesy not to do so but you always get some who will ignore this & if you are not there to oversee it then it happens. Like Mick says you gotta adapt to it. Regards Jayjan
Come to Ireland we have a total know smoking ban over here and it works a treat. Pubs are now brillant you can come home after a night out in the pub and your clothes dont stink. I am off to NY next week and it is also a no smoking area. I just love. I think I have heard that they have introduced some sort of a partial smoking ban in Spain now and I think there is a full no smoking ban in Majorca.
the reason we gave up southern Ireland and now holiday in Europe is the smoking ban should the Portuguese go the total ban then we shall stop going there as well

Brian (no mod hat own opinion)
I do believe Spain is total non-smoking now, and a friend tells me that Italy have also followed and its total non-smoking there as well now.

Being a non-smoker it suits me fine, but i can see smokers not being too pleased.
kaz
Now your thinking of Lagos, perhaps you should look at Praia de Luz as well, all sorts of accommodation there (not sure if you will be able to get a guarantee of non-smoking though). It has a lovely beach which would be good fun for your kids.

IMHO I don't think you are going to find many places like Lykia World i.e. 16 swimming pools :shock: There are a few water parks on the Algarve though. We travelled to Slide and Splash from Luz, we had a hire car, but I'm sure there are organised trips, if car hire is not your thing. Good Luck :D
I would second what doepsmc has said about Praia da Luz. We've stayed there 3 times now and I would be back in a shot were it not for my wife insisting we go somewhere else for a change.

As for the accomodation, we've stayed at the Ocean Club twice and Oasis Beach once, I can definately remember ashtrays at the ocean club but there was never any hint of a smokey smell and we are very picky about this ourselves. I can honestly remember whether the Oasis Beach appartments were smoking or not but again, they certainly didn't wiff at all. You could always e-mail the both these places direct and enquire if non-smoking is available. I have the addresses if you want. Incidentally, both of these places were excellent (Ocean club the best).

Lagos, just along the road, is lovely. Wouldn't hesitate staying there but I can't comment on any of the accomodation not having any experience of it.
kas (& Chris)
I also stayed at the Ocean club/Waterside village but was at the waterside village end. Didn't know if to recommend it or not but we had a great time there as well. I think there are 1,2, and 3 bed accommodations which might suit as you mentioned about having 3 bedrooms. There is a large pool at both ends i.e. the ocean club and the waterside village and I think there was an adults only pool as well, plus a kids pool. There is also a tennis club. There are reviews on HT and holidays uncovered.

I would also like to go again but there's so many holiday destinations out there I haven't managed it yet. :wave
If you would like to look at my web site http://www.valgarve.com you will find an assortment of properties and I can ASSURE you that even if a smoker has been in residence that there will be no evidence of it - the apartments although all different internally are superb. For example take a look at Number 1 Vista Mar, or even 7 & 12 Vista Mar. These are all exceptionally well furnished. The apartments/villas I offer are all people's second homes NOT holiday homes. If you see anything which takes your fancy, I will always give you an unbiased opinion
"the reason we gave up southern Ireland and now holiday in Europe is the smoking ban should the Portuguese go the total ban then we shall stop going there as well

Brian (no mod hat own opinion)"

Looks like you may have to quit England soon Brian. :)
I have been working on that for a few years the pendal witch has finaly agreed to think about it

wizard
Let's face it, folks, - there's no way in the world that the E.U. or anyone else is going to get away with banning smoking in Portugal - it's damn near to being compulsory there. The Portuguese economy couldn't bear the cost because there would certainly be another revolution if they try to ban smoking, and all the streets named "Rua 25 Abril" after the last revolution would have to be re-named - and there must be millions of them !! :rofl
I think they will go the same way as the French. Bring it in, and then ignore it!

I work on the theory that if there was any real demand for a ban in pubs it would have happened years ago if the pub companies saw there was an extra cent of profit in it.

The British government's definition of success is also very suspect. They claim a success in Ireland, but takings in licensed premises are apparently down 18%. It may be a success in that no one dare defy the ban, but then if they banned singing in the street and applied heavy fines for it, that would obviously be a success too... :lol:

Oh yes, and a non-smoking Irish friend of a friend says that it spoils the continuity of a good night out when they are all having a good craic, and then all his mates disappear for ten minutes to have a fag...
You sure its not wackky backy Alagaveaddick :)
Don't you smokers be worried that the smoking ban will never happen in Portugal :lol: I'm quite sure what I'm talking about, as this has been discussed recently on public agenda and people agree business would collapse. (I say that I will simply not go into a non-smoking restaurant or hotel and that's their problem!)
As for the first post... I know the Algarve from coast to coast, been there for hollidays all my life, and it sounds to me you would appreciate Portimao (praia da Rocha). I just don't know about getting non-smoking rooms, sorry.
(forgot to say I'm portuguese)
Good luck!
The British Government ( :rofl ) has today voted for a total ban on smoking in public places. Would all you lovely Portuguese people and lucky ex-pats please move down the bus - we'll be over as soon as we can book flights !! :lol:
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.