Caribbean Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Caribbean
Unless you can alter the voltage they will work, but not at full heat, (you will need a flat two pin adapter) saying that I took mine (similar to GHD) and they got hot enough to straighten my hair.
Great resort by the way :tup
Debi
Firstly thanks so Angie for all the advice. We almost booked for the North of Dominican Republic until I had her reply and looked into it further. The east sounds perfect for us

I know any hotel gets mixed reviews- but what I have read of this hotel I mostly feel comfortable with. If anyone has any advice on the hotel or the region then I would be really grateful. But if you have had a really bad experience dont tell me as its too late LOL!

Would be really interested to know if there is anywhere to walk to or get a cab to beyond the hotel complex- even if it is other hotels or a village or whatever.

This is my 3 year olds first long haul holiday and we are so excited.

Oh and any ideas for things to take for the local children and as gifts for maid service (if this is ok to do?)

thank you
Oh and I meant to say we are going 30th Sept.
Also for anyone still to book we tried all the main high street places and Caribbean Warehouse (who sounded lovely on the phone) but Thomas Cook were far and away the cheapest
Rachael - we went to Ocean Sands last August. It is a fab hotel - we would return for sure. Serenis was slightly cheaper, so we're off in just over 3 weeks. You'll have a great time. We didn't really go off-resort as we had been to the DR previously and done the trips on the other side. We just wanted R&R. A really good choice!
Rachael,

Well I am so galad you have your holiday and resort booked and sorted out, you will not be sorry choosing the Bavaro/Punta Cana region the beach is to die for.

The only places to really go to for a walk around is the shopping plazas, other hotels are not accessible to other guests not staying there, you will all have different coloured AI wrist bands denoting your resort unless you buy day passes from them but that is quite expensive, this is usually only used when friends have booked into different properties and they wish to visit each other on resort.

Have you thought about going on any tours that will be a way of getting out and seeing some of the country.Could supply you with some info if you wish.

Gifts for children, pens,pencils,rubbers,rulers,notepads anything to do with school. Not sweets for the children as the dominican people have difficulty accessing dentists due to cost, so this is not advisable.Gifts for maids are acceptable but the tips are most appreciated,which is more of a help to them.

Angie.
thanks to you both. Angie I would love some advice on tours if you have any. We are travelling with our 3 year old so sadly all day sessions drinking rum are out! But anything that might suit us I would love to hear about. She is a good walker so anthing that involves a little walk would be more than Ok.

Tours which would certainly expand your little ones mind and yours of course to the way of life in Dom. Rep.would be to choose between these two tours for starters.

http://www.outbacksafari.com.do/eastcoast.html

or

http://www.monstertrucksafari.com/monster-truck-en/main.html

they are very much the same its just different modes of travel, but they are a great experience.

or you could get in touch with Mike and he would tailor a trip or two especially where you would like to go.

http://www.freewebs.com/puntacanamike/

Hope this is of help to you ,anymore info wanted just get in touch.

Angie.
Hi Everyone,

We are looking for a great hotel for 2010, has anyone been to Ocean Blue/Ocean Sand? we have checked the reviews & they seem to be good but we want to know a few things! We were looking at the Suites, do they have a stocked mini bar (Beer/pop etc) in the room? Also can you get Champagne/Sparkling wine on the AI? They have a Bowling alley, is this Free? Also there is a Teen club room with Pool, Wii etc....Is this inc in the AI?
we have stayed at the Riu Palace Macao & what was Super Club Breezes & loved both although the Palace Macao was the best!

Thanks in advance
Debs
Hi Debs,

Yes they have a stocked mini bar in the room water, beer, pepsi, 7UP if you prefer more of one particular drink than the other just leave a note for your maid.

Yes they have a champagne/ sparkling wine(cava) in the all inclusive.

The bowling alley - you get 1 free game for your stay and then I think its $10 to play after that.The teen club comes under your all inclusive package.

Angie.
Hi Angie,
Thanks for your swift reply!
When did you go to the hotel? We are finding it hard to decide on a hotel as the Macao was so good I think we have been spoilt. I loved the Cava at The RPM so wanted to find another hotel of the same quality. Also its hard finding a hotel that will take all 4 of us in one room. As this hotel has suites I think it maybe a good choice.

Thanks again
Debs :sun2
Debs,

I know its very difficult choosing a resort in the Punta Cana/Bavaro area as there are so many along that strip of beach. Especially when you need facilities for children. Here is a plan of the resort. Click on' View full size image' for a close up.

http://www.worldisround.com/articles/304320/photo237.html

Here is a photo of one of the villa rooms.

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ReviewPhotos-g147293-d530406-r31730821-Ocean_Sand_Golf_Beach_Resort-Punta_Cana_Dominican_Republic.html#19716422

Hope this helps.

Angie.
I'm off here this coming Wed (yippeee!!!! Just a bit excited). We have a 3 year old and thought it looked good for her. I'll let you all know how it was when we return. We did discount another hotel- the Sirenis because whilst it looked lovely we thought it might be just a bit too quiet.

There seems to be bowling and a playground at the Ocean Blue but knowing what my daughter is like she will spend 2 weeks on the beach
Hi Rachel,

Thanks for your reply! I bet you are so excited!
I wanted to know if the kids activities(pool/Wii/bowling etc) are free in the kids club or if you have to pay? Maybe if you find out you can let me know. Also I wanted to confirm that the Champagne (Cava) is still inc in the AI. I'm sure it is but its my favorite & would be great if its included, it was at the Riu Palace last time!
Are you flying from the UK?

Have a fab time
Debs :sun2
will check it all out for you and post back on our return. We're going with Thomas Cook from Gatwick on Wed.

Anything else you want to know just let me know before Tue.
Bowling was 1st game free then $15 per game when we were there in February.
Wii was free for kids but adults not allowed to use (boohoo)!
hola!,just got back today- boohoo! Will post a hotel review in time - am so tired at the moment. Just wanted to say what a lovely place Dominican Republic is, we managed to get out and about and see some of the south and east (including Santo Domingo which was a highlight) and yes it is very poor but the people are gorgeous and friendly and lovely to children. Punta Cana is breathtaking, just as beautiful as I had pictured it. Clear sea, white sand. We had lovely 30 degrees every day (great time of year, hotel very quiet but weather exceeded expectation) and some amazing electrical storms in the evening. Ocean Sands/Blue is lovely, great food, great service. The staff are wonderful, always working, making sure you have a wonderful time.

We all did get poorly but that was from eating food on an island trip not the hotel which was spotless, we didnt allow this to spoil the holiday though.

I would love to go back to Punta Cana one day and would not hesitate staying at the Ocean Sands again. However the world is a big place and I doubt we'll be back there any time soon.

We met lots of lovely people there, it was nice to see our 3 year old playing with Canadian children and Dominican children who were there for the weekend (if you believe Trip Advisor the local weekenders get a bad press but we found them to be friendly and happy people).

We all fell in love with the country, people, the resort and hotel. I wish I were on the beach now, toes in the sand with a cold presidente in my hand!
Well Rachael, :cheers

You really do sound that you had a great time, now you can probaly see why we have fallen in love with the DR, you can certainly lose your heart to that island, as many have and many more travellers will do in the future.

Angie. :tup
Hi.. have been looking at Ocean sands for July 2010. Looks a fab place... but abit worried on the reviews about the cleanliness of the rooms.. Are they that bad? Would appreciate any feedback off anyone who's recently returned from there... the last 2 yrs we have stayed at Iberostar Hacienda in Bayhibe.. Fancied a change... but don't want to be disappointed.. .thanks for any info...
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.