Cruises

Discussions relating to Cruising holidays
Oceana
92 Posts
Hi Kath yep I am back, just :cry: but it was fabulous 8) only we all have this awful flu doing the rounds :roll: many on oceana had it too, infact 3 familys disembarked at different ports due to elderly members being took to hospital with it, no norwalk virus at all on the ship tho :P

I will go write a review now 8)

we had an excellent time, advice..... with exception of stingrays in antigua and rhumba on the chiva in isle margharita (p and o trips) do EVERYTHING else yourself, every port has regulated taxis and normal taxis all offering the same tours at a fraction of the price and I mean a fraction(with exception to above and heli over monsserat)

no drinks packages were avaiable except wine bottle ones,

downside to the cruise, watered down spirits :shock: :evil: which we witnessed the bar staff watering down vodka :evil: didnt have a decent vodka the whole time I was away, from the bars, one the whole the ship had a friendly bunch of passengers but do be prepared to witness some of the snobbiest, rudest people on occassions that you will ever see in your life :shock: :lol:

if you need to know anymore after review , please feel free to ask :P
This being our first ever cruise,we were so excited and we were not to be disapointed!

cruise was E603 tortola, antigua, st kitts, st vincent,st lucie, mayreau, trinidad, tobago, Isle margarita and barbados!

from Uk to barbados then onto ship, transfers were quick and very well organised, 1 hour from plane to Cabin.

we were in cabin F225, deck 5 right at the front, cabin was smaller than neighbouring ones but well layed out (take an over the door hanger with pockets for toiletries, this was invaluable, also take an extension plug sockets as there is only one in all cabins)fridges are big enough for 6 cans of lager and 6 x coke and 2 bottles of wine or 6 wine.

FOOD- breakfast in the Plaza offered all the usuall continental and full hot fayre, resaurant offered 3 courses and Cafe Jardin offered continental, porridge and hot panini's.

lunch- plaza offered a good choice, although popular foods seemed to not be topped up frequently and often were empty eg prawns and seafood, cakes and popular main meals, but there was still always a good choice.
restaurant offered 3 courses and cafe jardin did fab pizza, pasta, salad and sandwhiches.

Evening, we only dined in the main restaurant, but heard good reports of the Horizon (6.75 sup per person and 12 odd for seafood platter) our waiters were good at the start, went skew wiff in the middle and were good again on last few nights, if you didnt want coffee after first 2 nights we wernt offered it again until we asked, but just a minor glich, we had excellent table companions, others wernt so lucky, but a quick word with maitre d soon sorted it. meals were excellent first week and the second bit there seemed to be an awful lot of lentil and liver choices but still something to suite all tastes and every evening you could always go for steak, chicken or salmon as an alternative, vegitereans seemed well catered for with the maitre d bringing the next nights menu around each night.

deck BBQ (on ship ) at mayreau was good, I was looking forward to a bit steak, but there was only chicken,pork, burgers and sausages and what we thought was steak turned out to be liver????????? whats that all about, my hubby has a butchers shop and we have loads of bbq's, never have we thought to include liver in one, I thought that was a bit cheapskatey for a 5 star ship.

we also went to choc lovers buffet, vast array of cakes and desserts, one thing we found tho at that and for dessert in resaurant many tasted the same although looked very different, still felt stuffed and happy when I left lol.
Seafood buffet was excellent, a waiter served, you prawns and mussles, the rest you helped yourself too, it was all seafood, a bit of salad would have been a nice accompniment.

Over all the food was very good.

DRINKS

I found spirits like vodka to be watered down (we even witnessed it being done), I ordered all 4 vodkas on the menu at one point and all tasted the same?? I know my smirnoff

prices
£1.90 for full size can of newcastle brown
draft beer £2.40
small cans of stella etc £1.65
spirits ranged between £1.80 and £2.40
mini cans of soft drinks 85p (so take plenty of your own.
maximise on cocktail of the day £2.35 not much alcohol tho'.

extra payments for coffee in restaurant of £1.25/35 for expresso or capuccino etc.

Cleanliness - ship was spotless, constant cleaning, painting, varnishing (all very descrete)cabins spotless and all subject to inspections too. restaurants all had either waiter with antibac hand spray or dispenser on wall and it was good to see all using them.

Staff, 99% were exceptionaly friendly and very helpful, cafe jardin seemed to hold the most miserable of staff, we all have off days but some never raised a smile or responded to a hello/thanks etc on several occassions that we visited.

Entertainment- musical shows were good but not exceptional, comedy was toned down a lot lol, martin daniles and smart move were excellent.

plenty to do on sea days, quoits and shuffleboard comps, dances, slot machine tournaments and bingo- beware books are £5 each so 6 will cost you £30, our table and back row alone books came to £110, there were loads in the lounge yet prize money for all 5 games didnt even scratch £100, we worked out the must make aprox £400 per session, Jeeeez! was full on last night for snowball tho' was so pleased a regular won.
Beware the art auctions!!!!!! 99 % are only prints and all dont include the frames, they are sometimes looking for £3000-£6000 for prints, unbelievable, if you go, go for the free champers!!

TOURS-We did 3 tours with P and O, stingrays in Antigua- which was excellent and a skiff took you aprox 2 miles of shore for an amazing experience, worth every penny.
St Lucia, we went to sandals, if you have this booked my suggestion would be to cancel, not worth the £78 each, it took 40 mins through a run down housing est to get there and only 5 mins to return- why???? although sandals is fab, they at first would not serve us lunch as they had no records, so we had to stand aside till they made a few phone calls, not what we were expecting.
Rhumba on the chive, Isle margharits- best £20 we spent, absolutely fab day, great sights and views, fab beach and plent of rum punch.

DRESS CODE- formal was just that, an amazing array of gowns and full lenghtdresses also some cocktail dresses, most men wore tuxedos only one or two with suites, a few ladies wore t shirt and skirts, think they got a shock and dressed better on all other formal nights.
smart casual - everyone still dressed up,, guys wore open shirts and trousers, some with an occassional lounge suite, ladies wore dresses/outfits and cocktail
dresses

We had a tropical night- get your worst shirts ready!
Black and white ball was excellent one lady turned up in a bright orange trouser suite, boy did she stand out- I think she would have stood out any night and not just this one LOL.

day wear is beach wear and casual, but you must cover up for restaurants.

Ships photographers are everywhere prices range from 5.95 for 7 x 5 restaurant/tropical/pirate photos etc and £12.95 for formal night ones but they are good.

ports.
Tortola, pretty island, took taxi to cane garden Bay (fab beach) at 9 am it was fine by 10 am it was jam packed and we were the only ship in, $20 each way taxi 4 sharing. coke/water $2, beers $4.

Antigua- beautiful island-stingray with P and O, worth the money, fab day, photos to buy $15 each.

St Kitts, $10 water taxi to frigate bay, was a trip in itself, ate and drank at Mr X shigiddy shack, fab beach and water but sadly could have been a bit cleaner, was strewn with litter.wonderful friendly people. try to pay on st kitts money as supermarket tries to rip you off in dock when converting to us$. very expensive we paid £25 for 6 small cans of stella and 3 bags of crisps!! smirnoff vodka £4.50 in liquor shops all spirits were so cheap.

St Lucia- sandals trip (see above) beautiful location and beach area

St vincent, prettiest, cleanest island we visited, would love to holiday here, went to villa bay, so perfect, best swimming all holiday, you can get a water taxi which takes you over to young island but villa was a jewel itself so we didnt bother.

Mayreau- fab private island, lots of stalls, we went over the hill to saltwhistle bay, the beach there is stunning and only a sprinkling of people too, consider taking a water taxi or car $5 each way each if you are not fit its a hell of a climb but worth it.

Isle margharita - we did rhumba on the chiva, highly reccomended, bit of a dirty island but the people are amazing and very friendly. get all your souveniers here, market is excellent and there is a small beach at end of dock, atmosphere is excellent here!

trinidad- didnt like here at all its a fuelling stop, not a pretty dock and it is the only port where the captain warns you to be careful, our guide told us that rapes, kidnapping and robbery were rife, consider a trip with p and o here, we paid $80 for 4 to maracas beach, we were offered a city tour first, dont do it, you sit in traffic worse than NY and London combined and it eats into your 4 hours it took us almost 2 hours to get there leaving us just over an hour at the beach, we ended up paying another $20 for an extra hour. also all toilets were locked, p and o tour went here there were ructions on.

Tobago- loved here as much as st vincent, so clean and friendly, such a contrast to trinidad.
We took a taxi to Pigeon point which was postcard perfect ($3 addmission fee) taxi $20 for 4 each way.
beach was very busy when we got there so we walked all the way along and round the corner, beach was almost deserted and a lot breezier which was welcome considering how hot it was, excellent icecream from a stall on the beach.

Barbados, what a huge island, we went to the boatyard $12 in, $3 to get ther in shuttle van, got lounger and cocktail and use of water tramolines, swings and rock climbing in water, great relaxing last day, fries from restaurant were good, seafood platter was a rip off and didnt even have a third of the stuff on,

duty free, cigs ranged from $10 for 200 cheap brand to $30 for 400 well known, all spirits etc cheapest here, so buy in barbados for returning home or going out if your onboard early enough.

return to airport was swift but be warned only loo's and 1 small cafe in cruise terminus at airport, this section was packed so stock up with drinks/food etc before you go.

flights were good in and out, food was good but leg room is a bit tight for those taller than 5 foot 8.

completely fab holiday, hooked, cant wait to go again, Oceana put all other cruise ships we wsaw in the shade, we highly recommend her!!!
Excellent trip report ozziebird! :D Thanks for sharing and thanks for posting it in Cruise Reviews. :tup
luci :wave
Thanks ever so much ozziebird. A bit worried about the watered down drinks!

What was the dressing up like ?

Did they have an all inclusive package on board ?

Any def do's and don'ts ?

TIA

Kath x
no drinks packages at the mo :( none planned for near future either.

watered down spirits seemed only to be vodkas, gins, rums etc when served with soft drinks, however I did order 1 of each vodka straight and they all tasted exactly alike :? and after all 4 I didnt even feel squiffy, 4 smirnoffs at home would have me a bit tipsy at least :oops: :P

tia maria, baileys etc neat seemed ok, I thought the drinks pricey, I had piesporter wine in the restaurant on an evening £3.60 a small glass :shock: I paid £2.99 in morrissons for the same FULL bottle :shock: when I got home.

they do do wine packages, x many bottles for x amount but in my opinion just stick to buying as and when, unless you are a big wine drinker :lol:

Formal nights were just that an odd bloke in a suite the rest in tuxedos, 99% of women in long dresses or ball gowns a few in cocktails and 1 or 2 in shirt and skirts :shock: however they did change for last 3 formals :lol:

smart casual- men all seemed to wear trousers and open necked shirts and ladies were very smart in trousers and tops, cocktails and classy outfits only an odd few didnt and whilst thats ok they did stand out a bit, dress as you would for a xmas do or good night out :D and dont worry, I did and it was all uneseccary :P

do take us$ for all islands, do do an organised trip in Trinidad, dont be afraid to do tours/trips on your own on other islands, so much on offer when you leave the ship, do do the rumba on the chiva :lol: order a celebration package for £145 it inc, full bottle of champers on arrival, and chocs and flowers, champers brecky in bead, formal photo and 2 x massages or facials- very well worth it 8)

try to got to the bingo its a laugh if nothing else :lol: grab a sunbed around 8 am for a decent spot on sea days, 9 am for a lesser spot and by 10 your struggling :(

take a few bags of crisps/nuts/snacks etc as these are silly prices onboard and in supermarkets- they see us coming.

turn up at the seafood and buffet at least 20 mins before they start, queues are huge and bild early

DO go and have a fab time 8) :D
Thank you so much Ozziebird! I have a few personal issues at the moment that might affect whether I go or not, but I will take all your tips and comments on board and let you know what happens.

Thanks again.

Kath x
ooooooh Kath :( I hope you can resolve them and still get away, , will have everything xx for you.
Many thanks

Kath x
Hi There,

I have just booked an outside with balcony cabin on the P&O Oceana. When we cruised with them last year as it was a special occassion we splashed out and booked a mini suite (very nice too). Here you get a double bed and a sofa bed.

With the standard cabins, i inderstand that you get 2 lower and 2 upper berths.....can the children sleep in the upper berth ok. Basically i am wondering do they have a side rail to stop you from falling out of bed!!!
Otherwise i have visions of hubby and i being relegated to them.

Thank you ..............
:wave
Any advice would be extremely appreciated. We've just booked for the Christmas and New Year Caribbean Cruise Dec 07.
Hi kljross and welcome to HT!

I have merged your post with a similar topic. You may find some information in earlier posts.

we are going on Oceana in a few weeks - 2 adults and 2 kids, so will et you know about the bed rails ! I have a 4 year old whom I know would fall out of the top bunk!
Back on 3rd June - so post message then.
Hi Ruthr,
are you going on 27th may?
We are going then too and i'm really excited.Have you done a cruise brfore?

Karen
carrots and ruthr,

are you going on the Oceana from Southampton on the 27th May? My sister-in-law and hubby are going on that cruise. I think we are dropping them off at the port.

any tips for them as they are not really seasoned cruisers? They have done a couple of very short ones.

Anyway i wish you all a great holiday, hope the sea stays smooth and the sun shining

Bill
Yes - we're going on 27th May from Southampton - there's 9 of us in total going - 6 adults and 3 kids.

My mum and dad have done loads of cruises before.
We've done a 3 night one two years ago on Auroa - loved it!
Brilliant for the kids - loads to do.

Can't wait for Saturday now !! going down to Southampton tomorrow, and staying two night before we get on.
Hi Bill,
Yes we are going from Southampton on 27th may.
This is the first cruise we have done ,apart from a two day one last year on the thomson celebration, so we are really looking forward to it.

There are four of us going, me ,hubby and my parents.
We are going because we celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary this year.
Are your relatives going with just the two of them?We may even bump into them!!

I hope they have a good time.
Karen
Just to let you know I'm back from my week on Oceana and had a brill time -

Regarding sleeping - the upper two bunk beds were fine for my kids - aged 9 and 4 - there was a small rail at the top of the bed, and it did stop my younger one from falling out ! They both loved being up there!

Brilliant for kids, loads to do and keep them entertained.
We are off to the Med on the Oceana on August 11 for 14 nights. Any useful tips that we need to know? Never cruised before so quite unsure. Are the organised trips worth taking or is it better to do your own thing? Lots of the trips seem to be for 8 to 10 hours and I'm not sure I want to spend whole days off the ship. Anybody out there that can advise me\/
Hi pfcdiana and welcome to HT!

I have merged your post with a similar existing topic. You may find some information in earlier posts.

Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.