Cruises

Discussions relating to Cruising holidays
Oceana
92 Posts
Hi, Off on honeymoon on the Caribbean Gold trip with P&O sailing from Barbados on 24th of November 06,
Anyone else booked on this cruise ?
I have just booked a cruise for the end of May 2007 and we will be crossing the Bay Of Biscay to La Corunna. I have just heard that these are really rough seas and wondered if anyone has been on this 7 day cruise before (stopping at Brest, La Rochelle and Guernsey also)? I realise the Oceana is a large ship but I am still a little worried about seasickness as I have never been on a cruise before. If this might be a problem can anyone tell me the best part of the ship to be on to minimise this.
Hi Linda and welcome to the Cruise forum! I have merged your post with an existing topic on the Oceana.

We went through the Bay of Biscay in September on the Marco Polo which is a small ship. My hubby was prone to having one night of seasickness on every cruise before that so we took Stugeron travel sickness tablets an hour before sailing.

We were on the bottom deck with a porthole and at times it resembled a washing machine door! When a wave hit the side, the cabin would go dark. However it didn't feel that rough inside the ship and it was the first cruise where by hubby wasn't sick so I would recommend these tablets.

We also went through the Bay in an August cruise, took the tablets again and didn't have any problems so I really wouldn't worry too much about it if you take them.

Hope you have a great cruise and look forward to reading your review when you get back.

luci :wave
Linda333
We went through the Bay of Biscay last year we found it was not too rough but with the breeze it was quite cold and this was in August.It became too windy to sunbath on the upper decks but bearable lower down and at the stern where it was more sheltered.
As Luci suggests, get the Stugeron. I have always been extremely ill when on any kind of boat/ship.

I did a two week cruise last March and was fine. Highly recommend.

Kath x
Just an update to my question about seasickness on the oceana. I have just come back from the cruise and we had force 9 winds over the Bay of Biscay! Very rocky, lots of people seasick. The wardrobe door and drawers flew open a couple of times in the night so it must have been pretty bad. I took the Sturgeron as suggested and they did work fairly well and didn't feel as bad after I'd taken them. I would definately recommend them. A couple of days later quite a few people mentioned wristbands you can buy for seasickness (available on the ship). It was too late by then for me but If you think you might be seasick the wristband is definately worth a try too.
We had bad weather for most of the week unfortunately, but it didn't spoil our holiday as the Oceana is such a fine ship.
Sorry about your sea sickness. I hope the bay is kind to us on the Ventura next year :yikes
I always take Stugeron, but will buy the bands just in case.

Am glad that you enjoyed your cruise though - I love the Oceana too.

Kath HT Admin
Hi Linda, was just reading your review.
Sorry to hear that the weather was not great for you. We were on Oceana on April 15th for a week and our weather was just fabulous all week (strange how it goes is'nt it). We did the bay of biscay and ny hubby is awful on boats, BUT thanks to Sturgeon he was absolutely fine.
Our 9 yr old son also took seasick tablet and wore his bands and he too was fine.
Glad you enjoyed Oceana..... fabulous is'nt she ???
We have cruised twice on her now and have booked for Ventura next June to the Norwegian fjords. 1 year and 9 days to go :lol:
Hi Kath,

Meant to say that I have just received an email from P&O to say that this Friday you can watch via the website, Ventura be placed in the water (sorry if there is a more technical term). Apparently she is due to go in at 12.30 BST ...... will be interesting to see it.
Yes I got it too - exciting.

Sorry Luci for going :offtop

kath x
:tut :D

I think we do have a Ventura topic if you would like to carry on the conversation there...

We have booked a cruise on the Oceana for September 2008 so only 11 months to wait. :roll:

I have just read all the earlier posts and gained some useful information. I am a bit concerned about the watered down drinks as this is the 3rd time I have read that this was seen to be done on the Oceana. I will be asking for my vodka and mixer separate and, even though I'm normally reserved and don't like a fuss, will certainly speak up if I think they have been watered down.

Kavmick, we are doing the Iberia and Canaries cruise which is similar to the one you did. If you look in I would be delighted if you could post any information on the ports of call or any other additional information.

Just received a letter from P&O today which states that smoking will not be permitted in cabins on the cruise we are doing on 22 September on the Oceana. Smoking will be allowed on cabin balconies, on certain areas of the open decks and in desginated smoking areas of one or two public rooms.

Going on Oceana in a fortnight. Does anyone know if I will need to take a Transatlantic adaptor for my camera battery charger or will it be UK mains compatible?

As this was an old Princess ship thought it may still be a USA power supply.

Any advice appreciated.
Mickrory its british style plugs so no adaptor needed but you may want to take a 4-way extension cable if you will have more than on item to plug in. Plus someone said to me that sometimes the socket is to close to the floor and so large charger type plugs wont fit into the socket hope this helps :)
Good Evening.

Myself and my partner are thinking of booking a two week Med Cruise for our honeymoon next August (2009). Neither of us have gone on a cruise before and want to do something different for our special occasion. We have read as much as we can about cruises and of the Oceana itself, but nothing beats a personal opinion. We would like to hear from anyone who has sailed on the Oceana and their experiences. Also how does the dress work as we can find little information on this subject.

Many Thanks

John.
Hi John and welcome to HT!

I have merged your post with an existing topic on the Oceana which may have some useful information.

You can also read our reviews by clicking on Cruise Reviews at the top of the page.

Hi John,

We did our very first cruise in June 2005, on Oceana. There were 2 adults and 2 children and we went round the Med. I did'nt really do much research prior to going, but a few weeks before we went I read a couple of reviews (some on here) and they were extremely mixed!!

We loved it so much that we went again on Oceana last April 2007 and bought my parents along too, whom also had not cruised before.

She is a family friendly ship. and I would say there is a good mix of ages. We loved the whole experience. We chose on both holidays to take formal dining with the 2nd sitting option.
A ships newsletter was delivered to our cabin each evening outlining the dress code for the next evening and also the events that would take place during the day.
We had on our weeks cruise 2 formal, 2 informal and 3 casual. On both formal nights majority of gentleman wore tuxedos (dj's) and the ladies long elaborate dresses, everyone looked gorgeous, even the children get dressed up too!!
On informal night, suits were worn by the men, and ladies wore cocktail dresses or trousers and sparkly tops. Casual night saw people dressed in trousers and polo shirts for men, and skirts and tops for ladies.
During the day weather dependant, shorts, jeans etc around.
There are a few child free zones on board so you can escape!!
Plenty to do, we loved the staff and the service. We stayed the first time in a mini suite (lovely), second cruise was an outside with balcony .... if you can opt for a balcony then do so.
Food was plentiful, good choice (in our opinion).
We are fairly laid back when we holiday, so we don't let silly little mishaps spoil our time, but you will ALWAYS get those who love to complain.
I thoroughly recommend cruising whatever your age, and loved Oceana.
We are off on Ventura next week .... parent's coming again too!!
Hope this helps
Went on the Oceana 25 May for 14 nights around Canaries.

Had a great time despite the weather being poor the first week. This was the first time I have cruised on P&O and although the entertainment was first rate and the bar prices are cheaper than NCL/RCI/Princess/Celebrity I enjoyed these cruises more than P&O. The quality of food on Celebrity was superior and the waiting staff in the main restaurants don't have the same banter as I've got used to on American ships. The age group on P&O was also much older than I've seen on other cruise ships. It was a bit like playing an extra in a Cocoon movie. Disappointed there were no deck BBQ's on any of the 4 at sea days.

Our next cruise we will be returning to Princess.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.