Malta and Gozo Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Malta and Gozo.
Hi Ingliza, this breaks my heart to see them like this :cry: , when I think about all the fantastic days that Mrs Sliema2 & I have had out and about in Malta using these wonderfull old vehicles, it makes me feel very very sad indeed :cry: , if I had the room I would seriously think about having one for postertity, that would give the neighbours something to think about :D .

Regards
Sliema2
I used to wonder why the nuns crossed themselves before the buses set off from Qawra bus station.
The first time I travelled on one, I found out.
You could watch the roadside flash by under your feet, and they were so flexible that the windscreens always stayed upright, even when the roof swayed.

I loved the old things and will be sorry to see the last of them.
Thank you Sliema 2 for your reply, so you also thought along the same lines as me :lol:
I thought that perhaps I had had one Kinnie too many when I thought "what a shame my garden isn't a bit bigger, an old Malta bus would make a lovely gazebo"
But seriously, shame homes couldn't be found for the "old friends" - I am sure there are plenty of museums that would have welcomed them. :bawl
It is a pity, but its like the old London red busses they just don't go on for ever. You would think that they could do some of them up and use them for tour busses, as they do with the 1920 trams in Lisbon (like the way I got that in Sliema2) they just need to get shut of all there old cars and a super place would become a great place :D

Dave :sun
Well what a shame that they've got rid of those wonderful old buses. I'll certainly miss them as one of the most unique of Maltese attractions. I bet you the new models won't prove to last as long - so much for progress!

Trev
Does this mean that all those old buses have gone? Drat! I was hoping to have another holiday in Malta before that happened. They just added so much colour & character to the island! (and white knuckles!! :yikes )
Hi Trev & toastedmallow, I don't think that this means they are dissapearing altogether, I think they are gradually being de-commsioned and being stockpiled in Marsa, there are still quite a few oldies on the roads and also new ones, hopefully there will be a few more years yet with the old and fantastic Malta bus (at least I hope so anyway), we have to many happy memories for them to completely disappear altogether and it will be a very sad day when they have :cry: .

Regards
Sliema2
Hi Sliema2,

I can remember way back at the end of the 70's and early 80's going to Malta and travelling around on the efficient and cheap buses, - coming home and thirsting to return and believe me the old buses were really an integral part of what we enjoyed about this magical Island. :sun

I do sincerely hope it really will take as long as possible to replace all of these buses. As you know we were there in Feb and although we had hired a car, we spent a couple of days using the buses and thankfully we were able to travel on some of the really old ones. :D

By the way, Sliema2, the buses were painted green when we went there all those years ago but they were suddenly painted yellow. Have you, or Dave any idea when this change was made?? :shrug

Trev
haven't been to malta since 2001. But didn't you just love those buses? They were a highlight and experience of any holiday to malta! :D
Hi Trev

When we were in malta in 1995 they were in the process of changing the buses, some were in the new yellow colour and others were still in the green.

I must admit to feeling a bit sad :cry: at the loss of the old busses with their crash gearbox and bumpy ride, we always tried to use the busses as much as possible and I would often wait on the next bus rather than go on a newer bus.

Graham
That's good news Sliema! I'll have to plan a holiday now to return to your lovely island before the awful event!! :wink:
I'm sure the Malta Tourist authorities must realise the importance of the buses to the overall profile of the island. It sounds silly to anyone who has never visited but the ease/value/fun of travelling about on the buses really added to the enjoyment of our holiday............I couldn't agree more Trev!! :lol:
Hi Graham,

Thanks for the info since I have always wondered when the change of bus colour was made. We didn't visit Malta in the 90's because our son was born in 91 and we felt that it was better not to take a young child on a cramped aircraft. :rofl Mind you we didn't have the money anyway. :shrug I have to say that things are different now. :D

Toastedmallow - I certainly agree with your comments and as you say some people would wonder what the hell we were going on about :? - unless they had visited Malta and experienced these grand old buses as we have,

Trev
I have just joined and read the article about the good old buses in Malta. I can remember when the buses were all differant colours, certain colour for each destination. It was so much easier to look for a certain coloured bus for us tourists.
Hi guys.
I know these wonderful vehicles couldn't go on forever. Shame but I was always happy to ride them especially the Leyland Tiger Cub as I was born in Leyland, Lancashire and my grandad helped design and build them. I always tried to get on the Cubs whenever we were holidaying in Malta. They are so special. I truly hope that they are put into a museum, then I can still see what my lovely grandad did when he was a young man. :cry:
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.