Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
Olu Deniz Beach
11 Posts
There are two parts to Olu Deniz beach. The first part is directly opposite you when the dolmus drops you down from Hisaronu. This is the public beach and is to the left. Behind the beach are many places to eat etc and it has now been built up even more and goes back some way. Beach here is so so...bit shingley.

If you turn RIGHT (looking at the sea) and walk up past the police station this is where you get onto the lagoon which you pay a nominal fee to get onto. You walk right to the end and it is sandy with sunbeds..and few years since we've been now ..but used to be just one place to buy food/drinks. There are decent toilets on the walk down to the beach. The water in the lagoon is perfect for children /non swimmers as it is shallow a long way out and very warm.

HOWEVER ;) further around the beach (if you are on the lagoon beach you can look across and see it) are a few man made beaches with sand and far far better.

I can't remember the name of the one we used...but normally the name gets changed every so often anyway. To get to these beaches is a bit of a trek BUT they USED TO DO A FREE DOLMUS to them. Best thing is to ask at the dolmus stop in Olu Deniz. There used to be a man sitting there on a plastic stool and he'd ring for a free dolmus to take you round. Facilities at this beach was excellent and the food good.
Yes as Betty Boop says there are a lot of beach options at Olu Deniz. we used the free dolmuses to go to Billy's beach, sugar beach and one or two others whose names escape me now. You don't have to pay to get on these beaches as you can get to them by following the curved road around the lagoon area. You do have to pay to get onto the beach by the lagoon in the conservation area though.

The best bit about the main public beach imo was sitting on the beanbags there in the evening, drink in hand, listening to the music :cheers
Hi jewelsabull , Im not sure if you are travelling with children but if you are the main Belcekiz beach is not particularly suitable . It is very stony at entry and not only does it kill your feet it has a nasty drop that you sink into pretty fast. It is quite a mission just to get in ,never mind out again . It's a stunning setting but the beach there is not the greatest because of the stones & pebbles .. Far better as Pam suggests to get along to one of the private beaches on the lagoon ..I cant remember the names of them now either but Ive seen boards about advertising them and your hotel might be happy to ring the number for you , Im fairly certain they will pick you up assuming of course you will be spending a little money there on sunbeds/drinks etc.

lyn
Sorry post clashed with Shirley . Yes the bean bags at night on the main beach is a must . Be careful with the shisha pipes though.My son jumped up very quick , knocked the pipe which sent it crashing onto my lap and caught my dress alight . :yikes
;) Buzz Bar along the front was always excellent place to eat too. As you're based in Olu Deniz do take a dolmus up to the 'village' Hisaronu one evening. This is where the nightlife/restaurants /bars are. I remember it when is was a sleepy one horse town but it has expanded beyond belief now. Always found it very safe and child friendly too. In particular look out for a bar about half way down the main street ..turning on the right with jewellers on the corner...Seggie will make a great host and excellent way to spend the evening @ Hakuna Mattata.

Also although I can't remember the day, think it used to be a Wednesday, there is a large market from Fethye that is on the corner where Hisaronu starts - again just ask down in Olu Deniz what day it is. From Hisaronu you can also get a dolmus to Kayakoy http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kayak%C3%B6y deserted Greek town. Very interesting but best go about 5 in the evening when the sun is going down as can get extremely hot. There is also a small beach that can be reached from here too. You don't have to pay for a trip to get here...ask again about the dolmus that takes you. I would also recommend if you are taking any trips ie Saklikent Gorge - to use Hamish McTurk in Hisaronu. If you're feeling adventurous you can paraglide off of Babadag Mountain in Olu Deniz and land on the public beach. Great experience - when we did it it was very basic...ie just given a helmet and I wore vest/shorts and trainers LOL..but now you have full gear.
This is a website for a webcam which is located at the Buzz Bar facing the beach , through the day it faces Olu Deniz Beach & night time it faces the restaurant. http://www.oludenizbeach.com/oludeniz_live.aspx
Thankyou all so very much for your informative replies. We fly out on the 6th August for a fortnight, never been to Turkey before (usually go to Greece) so we are Turkey virgins!! lol!! Looking forward to venturing on to a dolmus, sounds like it will be a great experience!! Thankyou Lynwestie on informing me about the sudden drop in the sea.......I'm not a great swimmer so I am so pleased I now know what to expect!!!
you will have a great time, i'm going for my 9th time on monday but remember most items are fakes, so dont get ripped off with prices, watches/ sunglasses / t-shirts / jeans / shoes and your handbags - if you buy handbags or purses make sure they are sitiched not glued -
anyway have a great time - i'll do a post when i return
Cheers Greg for even more useful advice!! Have a lovely holiday!

I have friend going to Hisaronu and i mentioned to her about Billys Beach. Would she be able to phone them and would they pick her up from Hissaronu and take her back or is it too far???
the one thing about people in turkey is that nothing is too much trouble,,, most of the time lol,, hisaronu is only 5 min away from olu so it shouldn`t be a problem :sun2
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.