Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
Hi

Not 100% sure but I believe Bobs beach is now Sugar Beach.They also pick you up etc.. Owned by the same people as the Help bar in Olu
Lally
Yes Lally

It has had a makeover. Its very nice, we too enjoyed it there. The food is very good, plenty of loungers, they have enormous sun shades which means you don't have to keep moving every 15 minutes if you want to stay in the shade.

See website for pictures
http://www.thesugarbeachclub.com/beachclub_gallery.html

I believe the other beach Suara beach remains the same
Thought so - I have been there and think its fab . Went to the old Bobs beach as well . Really quite different but the same wonderful location. The lagoon is one of my favourite places ever :sun2
Lally
went there a few times as bobs beach and it was lovely, also been there a few times as suger beach and its now got a kind of layed back ibiza vibe :sun2
WOW - yes that looks like it was Bob's Beach!!! has certainly changed in 4 years.
Does look cool and laid back - it always was, but in a more rustic uncommercial way!!
Still a beautiful place so would definetley go back.
Makes me wonder how much Olu Deniz town has changed - but then I guess they can't really
overdevelop - some more bars and restaurants would be good.
Thanks for your info.
hi Wendi

how long ago did you visit Olu Deniz?

We first went in 1989 and then returned for the 2nd time in 2006. Been 3 times since and back again July. Its my fav place in the whole world, I love it.
alot of the beaches round the back have been given a make over it is the place to go
but i find it gets to busy in july and august and because its in a lagoon it gets very murky with alot of people in the water,i think the best times is june and october :sun2
We spent a day on Sugar Beach in October when the paragliding championships were on, it was lovely not very busy at all. Very laid back.
I'm pretty sure that Bob's Beach is now named Billy's Beach (owned by Bilal) and the entrance to it is right opposite the hotel on the back road of the lagoon.

He still offers a free pick up and return service from your hotel (ours is in Ovacik)

It does get busy in peak season and it's VERY hot! The surface of the water can be a bit oily in places also but the laogoon is so sheltered that it's not surprising. I wouldn't go down there more than once or twice in a fortnight due to the heat but it's definitely worth a visit. The scenery is stunning and there's a constant drift of paragliders to watch coming down from Babadog, drifting over the sea and then back in to land
Managed to log on to the Sugar Beach website this time and Sugar Beach is not the old Bob's beach (now Billy's Beach). It's before you get that far and has camping and bungalows on its site. They're probably all good and worth a visit.
There's another one called Joseph's beach. Again it's on the lagoon and again if you ask your hotel they will ring and get them to pick you up. It is small but has a shop and restaurant and pedaloes, soft sand and sunbeds and parasols. Apple tea will be served to you when you get there. Transport is free but you are expected to get beds (as it is small there isn't much room on the sand to lay towels down).

I'm confused now. So Bob's beach still exists? What about Suara? I thought that Suara beach was now Sugar beach.

Can someone confirm?
We have been to all three beaches this year and no-one is doing free sunbeds. It used to be that if U bought a meal/snack then the beds were free but that is no longer the case. :cry
I don't mind that mercury.

So what are the three? Sugar, Billy's and Josephs?

I intend to visit them all. :cheers
Hi Sandra

I think the reason they have started charging for the sunbeds is that people were taking liberties :( and getting the beaches to send out the minibuses to the hotels to collect them and then getting the mini buses to take them back to their hotels having spent all day there, but weren't bothering to buy lunch & drinks etc

Last time we were there they seemed to be doing a poor trade in lunches and it was the middle of July, so more or less the height of the season. They walked round a few times asking folk if they wanted menus and people just waved the staff away.

When you consider the upkeep of the beaches, mini buses, replacing sunbeds n parasols, employing staff etc I don't blame them for charging. As usual a few liberty takers spoiling it for others. :(

Doe
i totally agree with doepsmc that if no food or drinks are purchased they have to make charges
and there is about six or seven private beaches all in all at the back of the lagoon :sun2
Yes, I am quite happy to pay for a sunlounger (as we did at Joseph's a couple of years back - after all our transport there and back was free to Ovacik so well worth it - it was only about 5 lira). I would also always buy a lunchtime snack and a few drinks there throughout the day.

My holiday funds are there for these kinds of things and I intend to enjoy all the facilities on offer and not begrudge them a penny. :cheers
thats how holidays should be live like a king or queen for two weeks then back to reality :rofl
Same philosphy as me SandC :tup Also I dont know of any other places that have this arrangement of small private beaches on a lagoon, so it seems a bot special and something worth preserving.

I guess if everything was completely free human nature being what it is the places would be swamped and therefore spoilt. So its worth spending out when you are there.

I understand Lykia has its own beach, but I still intend to make a visit or two to the lagoon beaches, even though I know I will have to pay for a cab from Lykia to Olu.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.