General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
Ooh no tarry, never too early in my book ! I have a 'holiday drawer' that I build up with my toiletries, suncream, as soon as I see things that are on offer, i'll get it regardless of how far away in the future my holiday is !
Actually, it spreads the cost of buying everything over the months and gets you in the mood :tup
im always buying bits and pieces months and months in advance of holidays
No I rarely buy anything much ahead of time, though if I buy some toiletries that come with a free small size I will put the small ones aside to use later. I decant from large containers into small ones so that doesn't have to be done until shortly before I travel. Rarely have to buy new batteries for the cameras as I use rechargeable ones.
As soon as my holiday is booked, I start buying bits and bobs each week. I find it spreads the cost around as well as building my excitement ;) Have only 2 weeks to go (woohoo :D :D ) and am almost done. Just a couple of first aid things left to get really.

I look for offers - buy one get one free, 3 for 2 etc - then put one away. Mind you, ive always got too much and forget half the time what ive bought months before so end up doubling up :duh
The only things that I'll leave until closer to the date are suncreams. I more often than not have a variety left from the previous holiday but before looking at what's left and replenishing my stock I need to find out how much of a tan I'll have by the time my summer holiday comes around. It's no good me buying factor 15 if I haven't managesd to get much sun first as a base so I'd have to buy spf 30 and vice versa if I've got quite a good base before going I won't need very high factors.

Everything else I spread out over the months leading up to the hol as it doesn't seem so expensive that way.
I use lithum batteries for my camera, I did used to use rechargables but they where not that good really on the camera I have.

I like to be organised anyway :)
Yes and I have a holiday draw too. It saves so much time being organised.

Sent from my HTC Hero using Tapatalk
With 3 weeks to go, I more or less have everything that I am going to take, either clothes in the case, just need to wash them

electrical stuff, all in a box, and my passport and tickets aswell
I buy stuff for holidays all year round, as and when I see things that I need, or are on offer.
I take a bit more of a pragmatic view, in the winter i request a south facing room to get the sun/heat all day, BUT, in the summer months i always request an east facing room, warm in the mornings when we get up and cooler in the evening so we don't need air-conditioning

wiz
i too start buying things early, i hate not being organised, at least i try to be. xphx
oh yes, as well as spreading the cost and avoiding last minute stress it adds to getting in the holiday mood. I also make lists and plan budgets and type and print out going and in coming labels to go inside our cases.
I take a bit more of a pragmatic view, in the winter i request a south facing room to get the sun/heat all day, BUT, in the summer months i always request an east facing room, warm in the mornings when we get up and cooler in the evening so we don't need air-conditioning

wiz

Wiz put that mythos back in the fridge- you've answered in the wrong thread :rofl
I start buying toiletries as soon as I book my holiday.
Just like Shirley I leave suncreams - depends on whether we have been out inthe sun in the UK as to what factors we buy?
Yes we always do that. We have a box under the bed and put things in it every other week.
It spreads the cost over a few months rather than waiting till the week before and going into Boots and spending over a hundred pounds on your sun lotion and toiletries.
Remeber and have a list though or you'll end up buying the same things twice.

and do you keep these rooms in a draw or something? :)
I buy things well in advance too, especially if things are on offer :) , I think its all part of the holiday and I get a right buzz buying things too, sad I know but I enjoy it :D
No I rarely buy anything much ahead of time, though if I buy some toiletries that come with a free small size I will put the small ones aside to use later. I decant from large containers into small ones so that doesn't have to be done until shortly before I travel. Rarely have to buy new batteries for the cameras as I use rechargeable ones.

I'm with Judith on this one - I now know what works and what doesn't on the clothes front for the regular trips to Cuba and La Gomera and the same studd goes into the bag every year! And generally speaking that covers the bases for anywhere hot. And if I'm not going somewhere warm and sunny then it's just whatever I'd be wearing at home. So I rarely go out to buy special holiday clothes now apart from ocassionally needing to replace worn out stuff.

BUT I did learn my lesson one year going to Cuba out of season when I found it impossible to get decent vest style suntops that didn't show of my bra (decided that's not a good look on the, ahem, more mature woman!) in our winter. Since than I check the stock in summer and buy them then even if I don't immediately need them because they need to be of decent quaility to survive the daily washing they get after the dance classes.

And I do hoard the small freebies that No7 do as regular offers if you spend certain amount because I always use their face creams anyway. And I have such a well stocked bathroom store anyway (always buy BOGOFs of stuff I regulalry use) that I just grab what I need - decanted into small bottles for short trips.

SM
SMa wrote:
And I do hoard the small freebies that No7 do as regular offers if you spend certain amount because I always use their face creams anyway. And I have such a well stocked bathroom store anyway (always buy BOGOFs of stuff I regulalry use) that I just grab what I need - decanted into small bottles for short trips.

SM

I'm also a No7 fan and always stock up when I'm in the UK. I've already taken adavantage of their offers this year and I'm hoping that they have something special when I go there in 10days time. If not their usual buy2 get 1 free may still be on offer.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.