Spain - Balearics - Majorca Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Majorca.
We were in Majorca 4 years ago about the third week in October and had lovely weather. However a couple of weeks after we got home there were reports of violent storms which ripped up 40,000 trees and did untold damage.

luci :wave
Hi, Just back from Santa Ponsa this morning, we had the One Hour Storm on Thursday teatime, lashing rain, thunder and lightning. A few trees down along the Prom but otherwise all ok, and people back out round the pool within an hour!
Loved SANTA PONSA, our first time there, and with our daughter, her partner and our 1.5 year Grandson, we had a lovely time at the Gran Santa Ponsa Apartments, really good for 'families'.
Weather great apart from that storm!!!

Ray
I was in majorca the august palma flooded, I never thought I would have to buy a brolly on holiday in august. I only popped to the hypermaket up the road, when the rain was so heavy the road turned into a river. When it wasnt so bad I ventured out with my new brolly a few minutes down the road it came down heavy again. I was soaked by the time got back to the apartment, the brolly was no help at all. It was either I made run for it or be trapped for 3 hours.

Then around 92/93 in june it stormed for 3 days, it would start about 3am until the next afternoon, everybody thought it was is over but it stormed in the exactle the same way for the 2 more days. We were going stir crazy by the time it had stopped on the 4th day.

And then there was september 94 in alcudia we got 3 days of heavy rain.

Never been in june or september again.
still here in Puerto Pollensa, the storm on thursday was actually a tornado, it hit Palma and we got the tail end of it at about 6pm. I was watching the storm from the hotel balcony, till it got so bad I sat inside and watched through the window, the electricity went out for a while as well.
We were in Ibiza last week and had a really bad storm on Thursday afternoon so it must have been over Ibiza and Majorca. We also had quite a bad thunderstorm on Wednesday night but it was fun to sit in the pub watching it, knowing that we didn't have to go outside and get wet as the bar was underneath our apartments.
Was in Cala'n Bosch, Minorca last week & we had storms weds night, thursday morning & night and friday morning, and it pelted down, but thursday the winds suddenly got up while we were playing pool in the evening, it was so sudden & strong, blowing inflatables everywhere & anywhere, quite surreal.
Hi I was in Palma Nova when the storm hit - we where in the Don Bigote on the 5th floor in a corner room, the lights where out and we struggled to get the patio furniture in and close the shutters before they took off and broke a window. The wind was howling and whirling and debris was banging off the shutters. Our room was on the very corner and the bathroom tiles where rattling! We had no electricity and all was pitch black.

The storm took down huge old established trees even ripping some out of the concrete pavement by the roots! Directly outside of our hotel a metal street light was actually bent in half and on the way to Palma at least half of the billboards and fencing was just mangled steel.

On a lighter note when the storm had calmed and we still had a lake running down the street past the hotel an English tourist floated past on his Lilo!!! :D
hi we are regular vistor,s to magaluf and were there in oct when the storm hit never seen anything like it. we are coming out again 2nd of feb for 4 nights can any one tell us what to expect???????? what bars we be open goodfellows, del boys, white horse? :?:
We were in Cala Bona in October when the storm hit....It was scary there so it must have been terrifying in Palma and the surrounding areas :yikes

tofog68
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.