America/Canada Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in America and Canada
Storm Chasing
25 Posts
No need to go to the US Chris, just come to wales today :tup
I hope you take plenty of pics chris would love to see em :cheers
I'll dig out some previous years pictures. You havent seen a proper storm until you have seen a Supercell in Tornado Alley. :really
From the news, it looks like you are having a busy holiday!
I am home now. I'll upload some pictures tomorrow :)
Welcome back Chris - hope it all went well :tup
I have hundreds of pictures, I'll post this one first. Its an advancing severe thunderstorm. About 10 minutes previously it had rotation and had a tornado warning on it.
Glad you got back in one piece - love the pic, you sound excited just writing about it . Post some more please
Just been watching Nature's Fury- about a storm chaser who ended up in Galveston during hurricane Ike.
Terrifying!
We saw the destruction from Katrina of New Orleans. The devastation was mindblowing. We spent a whole morning in a coach- with one brief stop and we only saw some of it.
Great photo Chris of that cell. Did you see any turnados? Tropical storm Deby looked pretty bad in the south when we saw it on the news. The local forcasters were predicting 13 inches of rain through the day! We have a couple of cells moce through New York the other week including one that delayed our take-off from JFK for 35 minutes due to lightening over the airport;

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v288/Dazbo5/N852NW-1.jpg

Glad you had a good time and put that camera to good use :tup You'll have to share some more when you get chance.

Darren
I have wanted to do that for sooo long and keep getting told no, can you post more pictures Chris
A storm chasing holiday is on my bucket list too - probably when I retire and won't be restricted by how long I can be away for. Not sure if my other half is quite so enthusiastic about it though!
Here is another for you. Some of the guys I chase with and the rotating supercell, you can see the rain core in the distance.

http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/images/cb/Storm-Chasing-2012-068.jpg
Great photo but spooky - I can see a 'face' in the clouds looking down and scowling at your friends!! :yikes
Same storm, 20 minutes earlier.

http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/images/cb/Storm-Chasing-2012-030.jpg
Great photos Chris. Rather you than me being that close to a supercell!! It must be interesting to see them developing like that though.

Darren
Brilliant Chris,

Bloody hell, now I want to go.......

I keep thinking about where we can go for next year's holiday and a few things have come up:

India again because we just watched "The Most Exotic Marigold Hotel" on DVD
Corfu because it came up as a question on one of our Cyprus forums and made me reminisce.
Rhodes because we loved going back on our short mini-cruise from Limassol last summer.
Morocco but so damn difficult to get to from Cyprus!
Tunisia because we always enjoyed our holidays there - we can reach it via Malta, which leads me to
Sicily - but that would mean a holiday to Malta in the summertime as well as in February....

My other half isn't keen on longhaul flights and getting to USA is not so easy from Cyprus (maybe Dazbo can give us some ideas here?) so we prefer to go for a longer duration, hence waiting till retirement....

I've been to NYC for a long weekend with my friend before we moved permanently to Cyprus but my other half wouldn't give it the time of day because of the flight duration.

But the storm chasing holiday is really at the top of my bucket list, I just wish retirement could come sooner! :(
cyprus100 wrote:
getting to USA is not so easy from Cyprus (maybe Dazbo can give us some ideas here?)

You've plenty of options really. If you can get to one of the major hubs, there's flights direct to NYC from most of them, eg Frankfurt, Istanbul, Amsterdam, Paris, London to name but a few.

Darren
Thanks Darren

Istanbul is probably our best bet - we would have to get there via Ercan in the north.

There's no way my other half will fly back 5 hours to the UK to take an onward flight if there's a shorter route to a direct flight!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.