Malta and Gozo Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Malta and Gozo.
Hello big s, Owww fussy eaters a, well if you can get it in your town you can get it in Malta from curry to fish and chips faggots and peas to pork sweet and sour :think only joking you get get some great meals here and most of them will have a British flavor if thats what you want.
It will still be red hot and perhaps a bit dusty, as for the hotel I have never been to that one so can't help.
Dave
mmmmm faggots and peas :rofl ,thanks for the advice dave,im pleased to hear it will still be hot when we holiday there :D
You're going on the 31st September, now how is that possible ? :rofl
31st September

= 1st October :)

You will find plenty of food to satisfy you in Bugibba, there should be no problem in finding something you like.

I would urge you to try some traditional Maltese food as I am sure you will enjoy it :tup
lol oh yeah,we go on the 30th sorry....i was avin a blonde moment :)
Malta was a British colony for nearly 150 years and only gained its independence in 1964. Further still, the Maltese were seriously considering integration with the UK in the Fifties! The country is essentially Britain in the sun but with a more relaxed Mediterranean atmosphere. The culture and food is a mixture of British, North African and Italian. Most of the country's culture is imported and the main centrepiece in Maltese daily life is a devout adherence to Catholicism. Many of the locals speak good English and are a damn sight more pleasant than people in the UK.

Hope you have a good time.
Dear Eternal Outsider, how many times have you been to Malta and Ghawdex ?.
Eternal Outsider:

If you have ever visited Malta it must have been in the 1960's when the British occupied the islands. They even had beaches that were for 'British' only!. Maltese culture is certainly not imported. During the British occupation, the culture was certainly oppressed and many British 'ways' were forced on the islands.

Thankfully, alot has changed but there is still quite a bit to be changed. Joining the EU has really helped and especially Schengen which allows many Europeans (excluding the British) to travel passport free. Additionally, the strong Euro has also helped in 'cleansing' the Maltese culture because it doesn't affect the majority of Europeans (who never imposed their ways on the islands in recent times).

Basically, the Maltese Islands are now in a position where they can return to their own culture which is far more interesting to our continental European visitors than the 'culture' left by the British during the 60's and 70's.

It's great to see so many German, Dutch, Scandanavian, French, Italian, Baltic, Czech, Polish, Russian, Austrian etc tourists now :)
I've been once: this year.

The quieter Maltese and Gozitan villas felt much more peaceful but to be honest many of the major tourist resorts felt a bit colonised.

I saw mainly British tourists while I was there with Germans and the odd French person (I saw a local rip big style into a French couple that annoyed him).

If you like your beer, check out Farsons Blue Label - a bottled mild ale. Delicious and only 3.3%.
Good evening Eternal Outsider, I'm please to say that it sounds like you enjoyed yourself, however by the end of 2008 my wife and I will of been to Malta over 30 times, yes Blue Label is a nice beer as is Hopleaf and Lacto.

I'm curious about your comments about Malta firstly,
the Maltese were seriously considering integration with the UK in the Fifties
that isn't strictly true, Dom Mintoff and his MLP were keen on integration with britain but not the opposing PN or indeed Whitehall who threw the idea down like a hot potatoe, at that point scorned by this Sur Mintoff went hell for leather in the opposite direction towards full independence from britain, this as you rightly point out took place in 1964, this was under the stewardship of the late Nationalist PM Gorg Borg Olivier

Your next comment
The country is essentially Britain in the sun but with a more relaxed Mediterranean atmosphere
I couldn't disagree with you more, it maybe a bit like that in certain parts of the Island and Qawra or Buggiba kind of spring to mind, but most certainly not in the places that we holiday on the Island, in fact some of the locals where we stay speak so little English that my ability to converse well in Maltese comes in most usefull, if we thought it was like that we would not visit so often or even maybe not at all, and believe me after so many visits we would of noticed if it were.

You also say
Most of the country's culture is imported
how can you honestly hand on heart believe that ?, when Malta's massive and diverse history and culture goes back to pre-history, and to prove that Malta has the oldest man made standing stones in all the world at Skorba and Gigantija, these are even older than the pyramids and our very own stonehenge

One thing I do agree with completely is
Many of the locals speak good English and are a damn sight more pleasant than people in the UK.
they most certainly are my friend, which is one of the reasons that the people of Malta are to me the greatest nation on earth.

Regards
Sliema2
The point I was trying to make is that Malta is what the OP would want in a holiday - i.e. British-friendly and won't rock the boat too much if that's what the OP wants. Other parts of the island really are quite charming (Naxxar was a little residential village).

I'd be interested in the detailed history of Malta post World War II if anyone has it. It sounds fascinating. :)
My statement that "the Maltese culture is imported" was wrong, I apologise. What I meant to say was that Malta borrows very heavily from its neighbours and being a small island that comes much more into focus than it would in a larger nation.

I must say that where we were (in MellieÃâ€ΕΎÃ‚§a) was a little isolated and you might wish to try somewhere else. There's a nice village there and a Popeye village but the mainstream visitor might wish to opt for somewhere busier.

Finally, I wish to apologise if I got up people's noses as that was not my intention. I was attempting to convey the face of the island that an English tourist may recognise.

May I suggest one more eatery before I leave this thread? Perhaps the locals could suggest more?

Carrubia at Marsaxlokk, a lovely fishing village. If you go to Malta, go there.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3042/2655348901_98a50f4b63.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3141/2656209118_bef374b198.jpg
Sliema2 - you of all people misspelling Ggantija :yikes and describing it as standing stones... its much more than that, its the world's oldest man-made free-standing structure, and quite possibly was 2 stories high ! (some say there may well be a hypogeum underneath as well)

other than that, agree with you 100% (particularly on the lacto :glynis ). Gozo is most definitely NOT Britain in the sun (in fact its not even Malta in the sun)
Hi Mark, I am a disgrace to the Maltese Culture Movement and I am currently slapping myself around the head with a frozen lampuki :oops:

Dear Eternal Outsider, no need to apologisem on my behalf mate, although slightly misguided I found your comments to be interesting and indeed thought provoking, it's good to see new people with intrestingviews on Malta and Ghawdex posting on this forum so please them coming and if there is anything you would like to ask me then please fire away, also these links should give you a handle on Maltese history pre-WW2.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dom_Mintoff http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Borg_Olivier

Regards
Sliema2
Eternal Outsider, was that fish resident at the Carrubia, looks almost as sad as the vegetables. I have eaten there several times but found the service to be a bit slow, just down the road is Ir Rizzu where you can choose and watch your fish killed and cooked, well worth a try. :tup
Have read this thread with interest and not posted until now. the debate reminds me of an earlier thread on here "Malta, you either love it or hate it"

I think Malta is a wonderful island with a colourful history that goes back thousands of years. It has always been important in world history for one reason or another. I love the culture, the history and the people..but I love Gozo more.

I would hope that in time, I will eventually be able to spend more than just a couple of weeks a year over there. At the minute, financial, family and work commitments prevent us from following our hearts. I am 40 in a few weeks time and we are desperately trying to arrange to be in Xlendi for then.
That fish looks like it is an awrata, if so it's very nice eating, however there is only one place to eat in Marsaxlokk and that is Cafe De Paris, always lovely fresh fish cooked to perfection, and there stuffed squid is the best, had a superb sea bass there in June and next month we will most deffinitely be going there again for a lovely seafood lunch with Maltese wine of course.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.