Holiday Complaints

Do you have a holiday complaint? For help and advice post in here.
I assume the owner is domicile here in the UK.

I would suggest a call to Consumer Direct link to their website here;

http://www.consumerdirect.gov.uk/

They will be able to advise on the exact legal situation and tell you what to do next. I am dealing with them on another matter and they are first class.

As you know we can only give our own opinions - mine is that your posting this warning here on HT - and perhaps in the Private Apartment / Villa / Property Rentals & Sales - here on HT

http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/viewforum.php?f=63

Will be a warning to others. Not a very satisfactory situation when people such as this abuse the whole thing.

fwh
Thanks fwh.....good advice about consumer direct, I hadn't even thought of them.
it just goes to show,doesn't it!
looking at that ad,i wouldn't hesitate to book it.it looks lovely.
thanks for informing us all,about this rental.
tracy
Of course it's interesting that their isn't a photo of the 2nd "bedroom" :think Probably because there isn't one, as I said it's a cupboard with no window and the huge bunk-beds barely allow the door to open/close !

No news to report but wheels in motion to pursue on Monday via various channels....wish me luck.
p.s.

As someone said elsewhere, if this guy does to even every other renter in a year then it's a pretty good scam :sad

I've since discovered he also owns a second hand car business.....I'm sure there's a joke in here somewhere :|

I certainly don't want to put anyone of this lovely complex at Quinta Pedra Dos Bicos as it's beautiful and we'll definitly return, but steer clear of Apt. 105
The apartment looks lovely and you would certainly book it going from the pictures and description he has given. However I noticed they have tripped themselves up in regards to the maid service - states 3 times per week at the beginning, then 2 times per week further down - has he missed some information and this has then reduced to 0 like the service you got? :duh
Okay an update.

The owner has stopped responding to any emails, apart from one today when I asked where the cheque was as still not received the £200 yet alone £250 due. His response today was "Get a solicitor, your getting nothing back, you'll fork out more to get your money than what your owed, good luck, ha ha ha"

So you see what type of person I'm dealing with :(

I contacted Consumer Direct & they can't assist, their only advise was to write a letter and send it recorded and ask for the money back giving him 10 days from receipt of the letter & advising that it will be pursued through the small claims court. They think this will provoke him into paying up ? I'm not so sure.

So, I really don't know where to go from here, it's absolutely taking over my life, I can't sleep at all for thinking about the injustice of it all and the thought of this guy laughing all the way to the bank.

I'm going to the local CAB tomorrow but suspect they'll advise the same as Consumer Direct.
If you take him to court and you win the case, your court fees and expenses will be refunded so his statement that it will cost you more than it is worth is rather short sighted.

If you're 100% sure you're going to win in court, do so. You can easily do it online too.

Have you paid by credit card for this holiday? If so you may get redress from them if the purchase was over £ 100.

Mark :)
Unfortunately not Mark, like most private apartment owners they only accept cheques.

I'll await what the CAB have to say tomorrow and will try the letter approach first, as the Court website suggests using the small claims court should be a last resort. So will try the other avenue first and then to the small claims it is.

How very distressing though and a huge warning to myself & others, I know that I for one will be very reluctant to rent a private apartment in the future, which is a real shame
Hi Miss - I have just read all the posts regarding your complaint.
I know that it will annoy/anger you to drop this and feel that the owner got the better of you but if it upsetting you so much and you can't sleep, is it really worth risking your health for the money.
This could be going on for months and still you might not get the result you deserve and hope for.
I know it is a matter of principle but I am sure your friends and family want you back to your usual cheery self!
I don't mean to sound like a defeatist but sometimes it might be better to just walk away and look forward to your next break away.
I agree Suzie as would my family & friends and I could have let the £100 go and put it down to a bad experience and a big learning curve.

But not £250, it's just too much to swallow I'm afraid. I'm doing my best to not think about it but it's very difficult to know that this guy is probably hoping I'll just go away so he can rest easy with my £250 in his pocket that he's fraudulently kept

:(
That is a relief - I thought you were swearing!!!!
I wonder if he reads your posts?
I support your decision, Miss.
Miss Chief

Apart from you getting your money back the guy needs to know he can't c o n people the way he has. If he loses the case maybe he will be more wary of treating people the way he has done.

Judith
Suggest you start to go down the small claims court road, and perhaps if it does come to court, tell your local press. The other thing you could do is contact 'Ask Gill' in the Daily Telegraph, and at least it might even appear in the national press ...................

I share your feelings that this barsteward should not be allowed to get away with this. :tup
Just make sure you keep all his correspondence - his latest retort might not be looked at favourably if you go down the Small Claims Court route.

Hope you get it sorted, it would stick in my gut to let the weasel off with what he's done to you. Good luck!
I agree with you but her name is Miss Chief not Joan of Arc - she must do it for herself but not at a cost to her health.
I do support her but to encourage her just to get revenge or to make others aware is not on.
Nobody likes to lose money or let people get the better of them but how many times do you hear of good results regarding complaints and how many people would never have started the procedure had they known the eventual outcome?
I think she had just 1 weeks holiday but either way she will be upset for many months to come. 6 months - that £10 per week she will have lost but what price is her health?
I know that it is not just the money but if Miss Chief is still not sleeping well and worrying after say a month - what will she be like after 6 months?
I do care about her and if she still wants to go ahead, then I wish her all the best (and a good nights sleep)
Are you able to contact Holiday Lets to let them know about what has happened...if they have had other complaints maybe the ad would be removed?
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.