Germany, Benelux and Northern Europe Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Germany, Benelux and Northern Europe.
I can't help as regards the package holiday aspect, but if you decide to book independently, you can fly to Karlsruhe-Baden with Ryanair from London Stansted, or to Basel with Easyjet, BA or Swiss and take a train to get to the Black Forest. Remember that this is a long mountainous region (length of 200 km (120 miles) and breadth of 60 km (37 miles) and that you will have to investigate train (INVALID URL or bus connections very carefully if you are unable to hire a car ... the best way to explore.

If you didn't know, might I tell you that this region is referred to as the Schwarzwald ... which might help you search for holiday companies as well as using the English words Black Forest.

Places to visit include Triberg's waterfalls, Baden Baden, Titisee, St Blasien - thoroughly recommend the Dom Hotel - Freiburg, the Feldberg and Belchen mountains, the Cuckoo Clock route and generally mooching around little villages. Don't forget your swimming costume because there are several lovely relaxing thermal baths in the area, owing to the fact that the region is volcanic http://www.black-forest-travel.com/leisure/thermal-baths.html .

Remember that German youth hostels tend to favour the under 26s, and often are full of school parties ... I would recommend farmhouse pensions or Zimmer Frei as being perhaps a bit pricier but where you can be sure of getting a room to yourself. Of course, availability depends a lot on when you plan to travel as the Black Forest is a much-enjoyed ski area.
The only company I know of who run air tours from UK to Black Forest is DER at http://www.dertours.co.uk/ although there are a few coach holiday companies who do it.

Airports aren't what they appear to be. The obvious German one is Stuttgart but for many places in the south Basel or even Zurich may be more convenient. Swiss flights to Basel can be good value ( http://www.swiss.com ) even though most of the easyjet competition has been dropped. Ryanair use Baden Baden (which they call Karlsruhe) but only from Stansted. If you're in London/Kent it is possible to reach Basel by Eurostar/TGV and from there you can get to much of the southern end.

Many towns offer free public transport for the whole region to holidaymakers after they've checked in.

What time of year were you thinking of?
We did the Black Forest a couple of years ago and did DIY and it was sooooo easy. Booked flights from Aberdeen via London into Basel then took the train down to Titisee. Got a great deal of help and advice from a fellow Holiday Truther :cheers re the best way to get from the airport to our hotel. We stayed at the Park Hotel Waldeck for one week and it was fantastic.

The public transport in Germany is excellent, very punctual and very efficient and very easy to do yourself. As Steve says Dertour are an operator that you could book a package with but I am sure it will be much cheaper to arrange yourself.

The big bonus was the free travel around the area which means you can explore lots of different places totally free of charge. We had a brilliant week in the Black Forest and I can highly recommend the area.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.