Spain - Costa Brava Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Costa Brava.
palamos
5 Posts
did you go in the end?? were off there in may and im curious as to what its like!

Cheers

Caroline & Kirsten :wave
Hi Carline and Kirsten

Yes we did go. We found it very pleasant. Though we went at the height of the season it was very quiet. Night life is low key. Most of the nightlife is restaurants which become bars at about 11pm as does most of Spain. Though the majority of the bars did not appear to play music. Unless anything has changed since last July there are no nightclubs. Even though we are in our late forties it would have been nice to have a nightclub/music bar in Palamos that we could walk back to the hotel from. Do not despair, in nearby Playa d'aro you will find pubs and nightclubs, besides tourists this is also where the locals go. A bus to Playa d'aro from Palamos takes about 15 minutes and is very cheap. They also run all night. As well as bars and clubs it is a great shopping area including having ' Mango'. A taxi will also be good value. The hotel has a late bar which is an annex to a bowling alley, though the bar was never busy, for some reason people did not use it, though the bowling alley (which is on view from the bar) was normally busy. There are two hot tubs one on each corner of the hotel pool. The hotel itself was ok, our rooms were kept clean and it served its purpose for what we needed. i.e. sleep. Restaurant food was cheap but very basic. We did not eat there, except for the occasional breakfast. There is a shop across from the hotel where we often bought quiche or spanish omelette for a snack on the way to the beach. There are lots of restaurants, though some appear to be very expensive. Palamos is an area where holiday apartments are purchased by the Spanish and is quite expensive. How are you travelling? If you are going to Girona airport you will need to take the airport bus to Girona bus station, this takes about half hour and then catch another to Palamos which will take about an hour. If I can help any further let me know. Happy Holiday.

Katherine
Hi thanks for the quick reply. Were staying in one of the apartments there, so probably wont be sampling the 'basic' delights of the hotel food!! its myself, my mum, my daughter and my boyfriend who are going so really its only something for me and the other half to whilke were there that were after. So is it a typically spanish resort then?? im hoping so!! cant be doing with all the 'looky looky' men! whats the beach like?? sorry if im full of questions, but its my first time to mainland spain, wasnt impressed too much by majorca so im hoping its pretty traditional there. I travel a fair bit, and ive suprised myself by booking to go there, but it was a bargain, has cost us £210 between the four of us so at £52.50 each you cant look a gift horse in the mouth so to speak!

we're flying into girona, but i usually rent a car so we wont have to worry about the buses etc..

is there any entertainment at the hotel?? as when i booked they said there was an animation programme, if there is, is it any good?

any other info you can think of would be a great help too!

Thanks

Caroline & Kirsten :wave
Hi Caroline and Kirsten

You really have got value for money. I think you will find that the hotel (unless it has gone down hill since last year) is real value for what it has cost you. Personnally at that price I would not care what it was like providing it was clean. The hotel did not have any entertainment when we were there except for bingo and some children's entertainment. The beach is five minutes walk from the hotel. The beach is ok, I would not say fabulous but it was generally quiet. We tended to stay at the beach end near the hotel. Not so far to walk when you are covered in sand. As far as I can remember further along the beach it was nicer. I never saw any looky looky men in palamos. I will say that the hotel pool was clean and generally quiet in the afternoon. There is a market once a week in palamos which is about a mile long with many bargains to be had. It happens about 10 minutes walk from the back of the hotel. There is also a large supermarket there. I cannot remember what day the market was but think it was Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday. Ask at reception and they will tell you. Although the region is spanish you will still find tourists there. Prior to going to Palamos last year I had been staying in Besalu which is a very pretty historical spanish village that do not have many tourists except for bus excursions, so whateever your thoughts and findings in Palamos do not be put off going to mainland Spain. I also went to Barcelona last year and that was fantastic but so different from palamos. This year I am going to Valencia and staying in a pine lodge near the orange groves and then staying in central Valencia, that way you get to see different areas of spain. Don't know if you have been to Girona airport before, but to let you know there is not much there except a cafe. Do not forget to go to a tourist information office as soon as you get there and get all the general info and a map of the area. I do hope you have a fantastic time, please let me know how you got on when you get back. In the meantime should you think of any more questions to ask please do not hesitate. If I think of anything further I will let you know.

Katherine
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.