Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
I dont know how far it was but it felt like a long journey when i went from Ephesus which is very close to Kusadasi
pamukkale-not exactly sure but will try to find out for you
:D Thanks Nutmeg i went there years ago and really loved it, now i want to take my hubby and kids as we have always stayed in Marmaris Icmeler .and its been to long of a journey to visit it from the resort . But now we are going to Kussadasi i think its closer. Thanks for your help :D
I don't know what the organised trips would be like but if you go DIY it takes about 3,5 hours on a coach from Kusadasi to Pamukkale.
3,5 hours on a coach from Kusadasi to Pamukkale.

I knew it was long we stayed over night though in a fab hotel in Pamukalae and i loved it :) And the cleopatra pool that you will visit if you go is gorgeous.
Hi Celine,

We stayed just outside Kusadasi last June at the Ephesus Princess and had a great time. We hired a car and drove to Pummakale .... took about 2 hours, though longer on the way back as the kids wanted to stop at McDonalds to have a McTurko! We really enjoyed the trip and would recommend it. It was available through the tour operator but it worked out cheaper to hire a car for 5 days than go on the organised coach trip! It is run as a day trip from Kusadasi hotels and the journey takes 3.5 to 4 hours.

Cazz
I am going to Kusadasi in July with my family. I was wondering if it was worth going on a trip to Pamukkale, is it worth the journey? I would also be grateful for any suggestions on what a "bored" 16 year old boy could do during the day? e.g. scubadiving, would lessons be expensive? We have stayed in the apartments before, they are in a good location but there is no enterainment during the day. The other children are 11 and 13. I would be grateful for any suggestions.

Thanks
Hi we have just come back from our 1st vist to turkey and did the 2 day trip to ephesus and pamakkule, if youre going to pamakule it is in our opion well worth it as one of the natural wonders of the world, you have to walk across in barefeet which can be uncomfortable the views are wonderful its a very strange place you can then swim in cleopatras pool which is a thermal spa and really refereshing although you do pay extra there is also a museum a long day but well worth it.

Cathy
We did the JMC trip to Pumi. (edited to say FROM Kusidasi which may not have been obvious)
Basically there is a big hill/mountain range and a small part of it has the white calcium deposits which are left by the water.

Hotels etc took all of the water and so the white became grey prompting the ousting of the hotels. The deposits were slowly turning white again when we were there.

One old motel houses Cleaopatras Pool which is supposedly in the same state is has been in for hundreds of years. (break your leg on the debris if you are unlucky!) The water is very warm and you are supposed to imbibe it as it cascades into the pool for maximum beneficiary effect
There are a couple of ways into the pool, one life threatening to non swimmers so make sure you go the right way. There are free changing rooms.
Make sure you have enough money to go in the pool as it is not included in the journey and it is not loose change so its a long way to go and miss out.

On the approach there is the ruins of Hierapolis but our trip did not have time to pause as we had spent time at Aphrodisias which has a very impressive stadium, and even more time at a Diana hostelry for lunch (drinks (water) not included). We only had time to wander down a couple of ledges and then jump in the pool to get wet before we had to get in the coach to get back.

The trips run by the people in the town do slightly different things but we started at a godforsaken hour in the morning and got back just in time for last meal at 9, for less than 1.5 hours at the site.

The Kusi waterparks can take up a couple of days! You don't appreciate them really until you have tried somewhere else (Benidorm) we did aquafantasy and adaland. They were different and both worth visiting. They are both on the same dolmus run.

So is Ephesus. If you take the kids on a DIY via the dolmus (Selcuk route) and walking they will have the freedom to explore without the constraints of having to follow a tour guide like sheep. They may then actually enjoy it.
We did the 2 day trip to Ephesus and Pammukale from Bodrum and thought it was great! We were really impressed with pammukale but it was about 9 years ago and you were allowed to walk/sunbathe on it then. I'm not sure you can still do that now as I think it was having an adverse effect.
The rest of the trip was good too though, taking in a carpet factory where we had a guided tour and saw them spinning the silk etc. We got the option to buy a carpet of course but there was no pressure.
i would certainly recommend a trip to pammukale we went last year and it was an amazing sight . we were staying in altinkum and it took about 3 hours to get there on the bus but it was worth it , we had 4 kids under the age of 10 with us and they loved it and also swam in cleopatras pool , this year were going to go to ephesus and also the mud baths

have a great trip :wave
A word to the wise - to swim in the Cleopatra pool thing you have to pay an extra charge of 15 lira. I thought this was expensive, so we didn't bother
we did this two years ago and thought it was a bit expensive as there was 4 of us, but as we were there and would probably never go again we paid and went in, and we were glad we did as it was quite an experience, lovely and warm and all the minerals held you up, our skin felt lovely afterwards--but sadly none of us looked ten yrs younger like they promised us!!!!!!!!! :) :)
I thought it was worth the money you have to pay when i went there also
We had to laugh - you get all the speel about what swimming in the pool can help with (blood pressure, arthritis, heart conditions etc) and at the entrance there is a sign saying if you suffer from high blood pressure, heart conditions etc, you are advised not to go in.

And you're right it was 18 Lira.
Did the swimming bit and then later read the blurb about the place.
You are supposed to imbibe the waters to get the benefit. And there was me keeping my mouth closed!
I presume the safest place to do so is where the water cascades in as it should be untouched by human contact at that point.
Hi there

Can anyone let me know how long it takes to get from Marmaris to Pammukale as I've been told that its a 10 hour round trip. Also, if it's not a 10 hour trip, can you book this independantly from the tour operator. :wink:
Most of the excursion firms around Olu/Fethiye do the trip but it does involve an overnight stay in a hotel. It costs about £45, and does need the stopover.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.